Bunionectomy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenda

I went this afternoon to a new ortho because the bunion (I thought) had grown back on my right foot and has been giving me so much pain. I live on Ibuprofen. It hurts so much just to walk. He took x-rays and said that I had calcium build up from where I had the buion surgery back in 1999. He wants to take me into surgery and remove all the build-up. He can't do this until August 20. He assures me that I will be walking just fine by October 1st when we leave for Hawaii. I wanted to put it off until the 1st of the year but he seems to think it will just get worse. I also go back into to his office this Monday for a shot right into that area to relieve some of the pressure. Has anyone else had this done and what was your experience in the healing process?

If you do it, let me know about recovery time. Lyn has a HUGE one that needs taken care of, but is afraid to take the time off of work for fear of being let go.

Glenda:

This brings back memories from years ago when I was having bunion pain -- painful to walk, drive (standard transmission!!) and even had pain when sleeping.
I had surgery in January 1980 on both feet at the same time, and have been pain-free since then. But it did take quite a few months to get there. But this was 30 years ago and the surgeon not only worked on that toe joint, but also removed part of the metatarsal to the big toe on each foot.
If your surgeon only needs to work on that joint, you may be OK by the first of October. You won't probably be back to pole vaulting (VVVBG) by then, but you should be OK for your trip.
Good luck.

Glenda, If you google "bunion vinegar" you will get some sites that advise soaking your foot/feet in a gallon of warm water with a cup of apple cider vinegar. It may sound crazy but I have a good friend who does this because she will not undergo the surgery for it and she gets a great deal of relief. She only does it a couple of times a week and only after the bunion kicks up and starts to bother her. It's worth a try; what have you got to lose except a cup of vinegar!?

Hope you find some relief soon.

That's good to know. I can't take time off work because of the trip in October. If he does it on Friday, August 20th, I'll have to be back to work that following Monday. It said that would be okay if I could keep my foot elevated. I don't know if I can do that in the position that I have. I hope the shot on Monday will give me some relief and some time. I may wait until the first of the year.

That's good to know. I can't take time off work because of the trip in October. If he does it on Friday, August 20th, I'll have to be back to work that following Monday. It said that would be okay if I could keep my foot elevated. I don't know if I can do that in the position that I have. I hope the shot on Monday will give me some relief and some time. I may wait until the first of the year.

Glenda:

One foot elevated is better than having to elevate BOTH feet -- on top of your desk!!
Thank heavens my work day started at 6 a.m. when no one was up except for worms and the early bird.

Mine starts at 6:00 am too but at a hospital it's always the busy time of the day. I've just about decided to put off the surgery until the first of the year. I've made it for so long this way I can make it longer. I must don't want to take the chance that I won't be healed by the time we go to Hawaii. I will still go ahead and get the cortisone shot on Monday. Hopefully that will give me a little time!

I have one on my left foot that bothers me from time to time.I make sure that i take off my shoes all the time at home.I also have a special pair of tennis shoes
that i cut a section out of where the bunion is.After a week or so it clears up.Be very carful your shoes arent rubbing it.

The apple cider vinegar water worked wonders. It's amazing. The swelling has gone down, it doesn't hurt like it used to, in fact I think I'm going to cancel the shot for Monday. I know I'm going to cancel the surgery for now. What in the world is in vinegar to work so well for this problem? Beside making it feel so much better, ,my calisus (spelling?) just rubbed off. Like I said, amazing! !

Glenda, I am so glad to hear that the ACV worked wonders for you. My daughter laughs every time I mention a home cure for something and says "I suppose you're going to tell me it's ACV" but it's true, it's helpful for a lot of things. I often make myself a drink with filtered water, a tsp of ACV and enough stevia sweetner to make it taste good. An old country doctor from Vermont wrote a small book about it years ago and told all the things it helped. Some of the old time "cures" work better than all the meds that come our way these days.

I don't know WHY or HOW it works but it works!

Remember I had told you I went to a new ortho doctor last week. Truthfully I was really disappointed in him. He hurried me in and out, really didn't examine the toe, scheduled the surgery for the 20th. Well, today I got thinking I'll just call the doctor, the pediatrist that did the surgery. He got me in this morning at 11:00. He exmained the toe, said he felt something in there and numbed the area, he pulled out a piece of a bone that he said was causing the problem. He said it probably was from the surgery nine years ago and it had got infected. Somehow a bone had worked it's way to the top of my big toe. He dug it all out which really hurt even though it was supposed to be numb. He gave me a cortisone shot. He told me I could not work the rest of the day. He sent me home and told me to elevate my foot for the rest of the day. I can't believe it! ! The swelling is almost gone and the toe is back to normal. YEAH! ! I called the ortho and cancelled my surgery date. Nevertheless I won't be going back to him. I'm so glad I listened to my gut feeling and called my pediatrist. He also agreed that soaking your feet in vinegar water is a good thing to do. It said it was the acid in the vinegar and the warmth of the water that helped the feet. He said you could also use lemon juice. It works the same way. This is such a relief. I was worried about the walking I will be doing in Hawaii.

Good news Glenda! I am happy that it turned out so well, and you found the right man for the job. Who knows what would have happened with the surgery, a cast for a long time, perhaps.

Latest posts

Back