Bovine valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

Hi everyone,

I have just read that the 'cow' valve is actually a synthetic valve, is that right ? I thought it was made using the cows pericardium and as such a tissue valve is that not correct ?

I am due for surgery in 4 days and this may be a game changer.

If it is synthetic will this mean blood thinners, I thought not, which is why I went with this type in the first place:confused:

Gerri

Hi, Gerri, your thoughts are correct as far as they go. Bovine Pericardial Valves are composite valves. The leaflets are, indeed, made from the pericardial tissue of calves. This tissue is treated in various ways to help it last for many years. This does mean that for most of us, there is no need for anti-coagulation therapy. Perhaps what you read was actually talking about the remainder of the valve construct. The ring to which the leaflets are attached is manufactured so in effect the Bovine Pericardial Valves are more appropriately called Bio-Prosthetic. Only the leaflets are biological. So, yes, the valve is a mosaic of biological tissue attached to a "synthetic" base. Does this make it more clear?

This page gives a good view of the valve: http://www.yourheartvalve.com/productinformation/pages/aorticvalvepericardial.aspx

Mooo!

Larry

Last edited:
The ring to which the leaflets are attached is manufactured so in effect the Bovine Pericardial Valves are more appropriately called Bio-Prosthetic.
So what is the ring, to which the leaflets are attached, made from ? Could that mean we moo'ers have something like a piece of plastic in our hearts ? Or could the ring also be made from bovine tissue ?

Mooooo toooo !

From what I've seen, they usually have a polyester sewing cuff and some kind of frame, often wire, and the TAVI valves are in a sort of cylindrical springy wire stent that opens out in place. The leaflets themselves are made of biological material, making them flexible and more resistant to thrombosis than a synthetic material.

Bovine valves

Bovine valves

So what is the ring, to which the leaflets are attached, made from ? Could that mean we moo'ers have something like a piece of plastic in our hearts ? Or could the ring also be made from bovine tissue ?

Mooooo toooo !

Take a look on the Edwards valve website there are photos of the valves there

Take a look on the Edwards valve website there are photos of the valves there
I've looked but it's not apparent what the material the ring is made from from the photos.

Reading an article on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pericardial_heart_valves it would appear that the 'ring' part has been made of different materials over the years, but it's not clear what the Edwards ones are currently made from.

Latest posts

Back