Bovine or Porcine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MOOOOOO
I hope all goes well with you. Valve choice and procedure choice can be a difficult thing. Like buying a car
I think Aaaaanold Schwartzenager had the Ross procedure.

Joe Parker
AVR 021/21/2004
St. Jude Mechanical

I'm pretty settled on the CE Perimount Magna bovine valve. Sheesh - it DOES sound like a car - or may be a cigar? Yes, I'd like a box of those Perimount Magnas, please...

No, I don't smoke. I quit on New Years, 2000, shortly before I found out about my valve. Darn near made me start up again when I found out. After four years off, I don't miss it often anymore. I do miss feeling invulnerable, though. The doctors all still say, "ewwww - a smoker." Apparently, there is no statute of limitations on how long they can throw that in your face.

The other thing the doctors all want to do is check your gums. They need to be free of infection before your surgery. Don't be surprised if your cardiologist or surgeon remands you to the care of a periodontist before setting up surgery.

My cardiologist seemed highly disappointed to find that my gums are pink and unnaturally healthy. I think it damaged one of his pet theories.

Now, I still need to find a surgeon. I contacted my company's headquarters to lean on the insurance people to get a case manager for me. I need to know my options, and they're not in the book, and the Customer Service people just play dumb when you call. "I can send you a list of all the doctors on our plan."

I've been to the website, and there are only two (short) pages of cardiac surgeons (mostly duplicates/triplicates, as they work in several offices).

I need to know if I can go to another area (like CCF, maybe), to increase my odds. I won't know until I get someone from the insurance company to explain what they'll do.

I also hear there may be a waiting list at CCF. Is that the case? Anyone know how long the Conga line is to get in there?

I had a Carpentier-Edwards bovine valve implanted this past November (mitral). My surgeon chose this valve as he felt it would last longer. (I was having my mechanical valve removed so I could stay off Coumadin).

I am hoping that this valve lasts longer than predicted so that I never have to go through another surgery. So far so good.....................;)

To Tobagotwo

If you are concidering out-of NJ locations, may I suggest Duke Medical Center in Durham, NC. I had AVR , a CE Perimount Bovine Pericardial valve implanted there on Nov.3, 2003. Dr. Donald Glower did mine. He has done thousands of valve implants, and he came highly recommended. I was extreamly impressed by Dr. Glower, and the treament at Duke.

Good Luck

Bob Bates

Bob,

Dr. Jaggers is doing my Ross at Duke (or pericardial bovine if he decides the Ross is not doable when he gets in there). I'm also getting my VSD closed, so I opted for a pediatric surgeon for that reason along with the fact that Dr. Jaggers is "da man" for the Ross.

Bryan,

Yes I believe you are right about Jaggers. The original reason I went to Duke was because I thought I might want the Ross procedure, and that is where Jaggers is of course. He certainly is the "Ross Man" in the NC area, perhaps one of the best in the county for all I know.

The best of luck to you, but you probably won't need a lot of luck; you have a lot of competence going for you at Duke.

Bob

Hah! Just goes to show ya. Just when you think things have turned unbelievably bleak, fate turns over a joker in the deck.

I was making cold calls for surgeons, and wound my way through to Dr. Tyrone Krause, at Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick. I went to meet him and have the tedious, negative discussion that I knew would ensue my statement that I did not want a mechanical valve. His response? "That's good. We wouldn't want you to have one."

I was floored. And immensely relieved. Even delighted, in a wierd sort of way. We had a brief, but interesting technical discussion about the merits of - you guessed it - the CE Perimount Magna and the Medtronics Mosaic. He was already where I was trying to take him.

Turns out he somewhat favors the Mosaic, because of the zero gravity set, and has probably installed as many of them as anyone in the country. I'm still a little more sold on the CEPM. He's perfectly happy to install either for me.

I have to see if I can get a rise out of the CE folks, who haven't responded to any of my emails. I tried phoning, but the menu doesn't go anywhere for the as-yet-unimplanted. You'd think they'd want to defend their goods.

Interestingly, I remember reading about him several years ago, as a guy-to-watch, top-flight, up-and-comer. And he's on my insurance. O, joy! O, rapture!

Any more back-and-forth on these two models?

I bet that just made your day! Sometimes things do fall into place. I hope you get many many years of service out of your selected valve.

You did your homework and you seem very comfortable with your decision.

A note about Gov. Ahhrnold... I think he had a Ross procedure that went sour, and was then given an emergency porcine valve. Anybody know the real answer?

Of course it's none of our business, but he's a celebrity, and has to share...

Betty,

It sure did. That was Friday. I was revoltingly happy, skipping about New Brunswick in the rain with my sweetie. I wonder that she stays married to me - I'm just about unbearable, even with good news.

My cardio would have... uh, well, let's just say he wouldn't have been happy...to see me running amok down the street at my wife's heels, grinning and jumping like a new puppy on a long leash.

Why on earth I'm delighted to find someone willing to plunge a knife into my chest, I don't know. Nonetheless, I am still moronically ecstatic about finally being able to make this decision, and begin to move on.

Likely the reality of things will break this spell soon, but it's been nice to feel optimistic for a bit. It's been a big plus for my energy level, too.

Now, to tidy up the remaining tests and get a show date.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back