Bovine or Porcine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobagotwo

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've been looking at the Mosaic porcine valve, due to its anticalcification treatments. They are hoping it may last up to 25 years.

Calcification must be a risk to me. I have so much calcium on my current (still original) aortic valve, that I can hear it clicking, if I lay on my left side at night. Guess you folks with the mechanicals could easily one-up me on that, but this is, after all, my own valve, not a manufactured or implanted one.

However, I'm hearing a lot of discussion on the longevity of hte bovine valves, which are currently running (I believe) 90% still in at 18 years. The thing I'm not finding is the actual brand name or company to go look up. I still have a few weeks to concentrate on this, and I'd like to do the research, if someone will point me toward what actual valve they're referring to.

References, anyone?

Yes, thank you. I actually have gone to Medtronics, which is why I have been heavily contemplating the Mosaic valve, which is a thrid-generation, anti-calcification- treated, porcine valve.

It's the bovine ones I have less information on. They seem to have wonderful results, and I like dairy. Any leads would be appreciated.

My surgeon told me that they expect 20 years out of these newer bovine valves but that is only speculation at this point. He has a patient that he just put in his third valve. My Dad has a porcine valve placed about 10 years ago. He is doing fine.
Age is the factor in deciding what valve to choose. With us younger folks they recommend the mechanical valve, the "one valve for life surgery". The older folks they happily put in the porcine or bovine valves since they don't always expect the patient will out live the need for a second valve replacement.
I hate to sound cold here but thats what they say.
You are on the right track in your decision and should go with what you feel is "right for you".
After having gone through my surgery I can honestly say that I wouldn't want to go through it again when I turn 60 or so.
Then again if I ever end up having a bypass I may have them change it out. What the heck they are in there anyway.

Try the St. Jude web site it should have some information you are looking for also.
I wish you well.

Joe Parker
Aortic Valve Replacement 01/21/2004
St. Jude Mechanical 27mm
Mt. Diablo Hospital
Concord, California

I don't know whether I should fee fortunate or not, because the decision process has never been in my hands. I was told I was getting a porcine valve - end of story!

Women of child bearing age should get a non-mechanical valve when there is a chance they are planning to have children. The risks are too great to have a mechanical valve and be on coumadin while you are pregnant.

Thank you, Christian. That was EXACTLY the link I was looking for.

I'm delighted, because this represents another reasonable choice for me. They also use an anticalcification technology. And I always liked cows.

I note that there was a forum for resources, but it seems pretty barren, unless I'm overlooking something. We should begin putting these links into that area for people to research. Most of the searches on the web produce a huge volume of vapid, comic-book-level overviews of the problem and the surgery. They frequently don't lead to really usable links. There are still a surprising number of doctors who don't think the patient should be involved in the choice. Only educated patients can change that over time.

Viewing ALL the posts in a given Forum.

Viewing ALL the posts in a given Forum.

What you have to do for all the forums here, if you want to see ALL the posts, is to go to the bottom of the page and change the setting "the last 30 days" to "from the beginning" that will bring up ALL the posts and there are many, many to see.

Try looking up Carpentier-Edwards
(manufacturer of the Bovine Pericardial Valves)
Last time I looked, there was not much information
available, but that was a couple of years ago.

'AL'

Carpentier-Edwards is the one that kept coming up a few years ago when I researched it. I don't know if it was because it was the best performing, the best financed or why, but it was used in most of the research studies I read at the time.

Kev

That's a good life for a valve in a young, energetic person. CE announced recently that they are now using an anticalcification process that appears to reduce calcium deposits by 40%. That has to be good.

I wonder where my blood is getting all this free calcium, that I am ruining my valves with. Latest shows some light calcification on the mitral now. Do they do both in one shot very often?

Hi Bob, it's nice to be able to share information but although I've been doing a lot of research on the mitral valve, I haven't been doing it for long so I'm afraid I can't help you here. However, there's a great site run by doctors http://www.heartcenteronline.com Check it out. I hope you find it useful and get better. I myself found out last month that my valve has also begun to thicken up a bit but it's still working fine.I've had this one for eight years now and pray that it lasts a little longer before I need to go under the knife again. Do you know what your prognosis is?

Info on Bovine Heart Valve

Info on Bovine Heart Valve

Hi TOBAGOTWO,
I'm a satisfied customer of a Edwards Lifesciences Bovine Pericardial Heart Valve. I had a question for Edwards Lifesciences shortly after receiving their heart valve and tried the USA 800 number that's listed on the back of the wallet-sized ID card they sent a couple of months after surgery. You might give them a phone call at 1-800-424-3278.
Buried in the info they mailed in response to my phone query was the comment that one should not take calcium supplements after receiving their Bovine valve. The folks at Cleveland Clinic never mentioned this, nor did my local cardiologist. At age 70 I probably should be taking calcium supplements for bone strength. I still haven't got the calcium issue worked out in my mind. So let me know if you hear anything on the calcium supplement calcium issue.
Best wishes,
Don
AVR, April 2002, CCF, Cosgrove, Bovine Valve

I've wondered about that. I do get a lot of calcium. I had hoped that, with sufficient vitamin D, it wouldn't metabolize badly. However, as most supplements do contain the requisite vitamin D, and they likely have that figured in already, I guess it's just best to stay away from them. I wonder if Fosamax would be all right. If you fear you're getting brittle, you could ask your doctor -and the techs at CE as well.

The research seems to bear up the thought that the valve is a very strong, long-lived one. As I'm 51, I will (if I'm lucky) have to have an explant eventually. I'm hoping for 20 years out of it. By that time, they'll either have a permanent tissue fix, or I won't likely live long or hard enough to wear out another.

I guess after the surgery, the time you get is all really a gift anyway. I could get to see my granddaughter graduate from high school. Without some kind of new valve, that could never happen.

Tobagoto, I got my bovine about 15 months ago, I was 56 at the time and it went smoothly. In the hospital on Tuesday and home for Sat football on TV. No meds to take, no blood tests every couple of weeks, just a check up with the cardiologist once or twice a year and a echo. By spring I was back doing all my regular stuff. Up and down 3 stories on a ladder, moving furniture around etc. With normal life expectancy in the mid 70s it seems the right choice for me. Course green grass has been looking awfully tasty lately (HA HA) Dave Good Luck to you whatever you decide.

I'm going for the Ross Procedure, but my backup is the C-E pericardial bovine valve. My only worry if I end up with the bovine valve is that I'm an avid golfer and might get the urge to start grazing between shots, or may start purposely start hitting it in the rough for better grass to graze on!

:D

Latest posts

Back