Bone Mineral Density Scan--Results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adrienne, what do you do about your Metoprolol?

I wait a half hour before taking it. When it comes to taking things like my calcium supplement, I wait 2 hours. They say calcium can interfere with the absorbtion of the Actonel (even more than other things).

Good luck!

Bina:

I have osteoporosis and osteopenia. Have been taking Rxes for about 4-5 years, I think. I'm taking the generic of Fosamax now because it's only $24 for 3 months @ Walmart.
My stomach's quite sensitive -- doesn't take too much for me to become nauseated and vomit. But I've never had problems with Fosamax, Boniva or Actonel, and I've taken them all.

My dad has osteoporosis very badly, has had spine fractures several times (twice while taking apart their artificial Christmas tree!). He's had severe GI problems for decades, maybe 50+ years, and is very thin. Because of that, he had pooh-poohed taking any Rxes for osteoporosis.
Last couple of months, his endocrinologist finally laid it out for him, and he's taking shots twice a day for the osteoporosis.

Bina,

I was diagnosed with this too. I take Boniva, one dose monthly. I have to wait an hour after I take it, to eat or have my coffee. It was a nuisance at first, but you get used to it. The Dr. believes the high dose of prednisone, that I had to take for the pericarditis, did not help. I still have to take 5mg daily of prednisone. I also take vitamin D and calcium. Calcium really constipates me, so I can't take as high a dose as the Dr. recommended.

I know exactly how you feel. Good luck!

Bina,

I was diagnosed with this too. I take Boniva, one dose monthly. I have to wait an hour after I take it, to eat or have my coffee. It was a nuisance at first, but you get used to it. The Dr. believes the high dose of prednisone, that I had to take for the pericarditis, did not help. I still have to take 5mg daily of prednisone. I also take vitamin D and calcium. Calcium really constipates me, so I can't take as high a dose as the Dr. recommended.

I know exactly how you feel. Good luck!

Try taking magnesium to offset the constipation. It's not only good for that, it's good for heart rhythm!:)

Yuck, so sorry to hear that Bina! :(

I too have osteoporosis in my spine & both my hips. My reading however is -2.8 --- yours is significantly higher! :eek:

The drs wanted to get me started on Boniva or Fosomax but I refused because I too have started having more stomach problems probably due to all the damn meds. I think they are tearing holes in my stomach & intestines!!!

I do however take Os-Cal 500 + D twice daily & when I had my bone scan the beginning of this year, there was no change from a year ago so I'm not complaining.

I hope that you are able to tolerate the new med well & just be more cautious with your activities.

" No more swinging from 'nanner trees with the chimp!' :D

All this fun Bina,Wishing you the best with it.
Just finished dealing with my parents at Dr's with ostoperosis
Dads on shots now he was taking calcium tabs prior but
they wanna shoot some shots, now with him.

Good luck with this

I'm sorry to read about this, Bina. I hope you'll find something that will help. Do check with your pharmacist, besides doing your homework though, on what you take. My great aunt was on a once a week RX pill that eventually made her teeth break off. There was a class action lawsuit about it later.

Bina, sorry that you got this news. I can completely understand your stomach worry, it is no fun. Is there any way you could get some/most of your calcium from your diet and at least have to take fewer meds..?

Bina I had my first bone density scan at age 50 (the recommended age here in Ontario), and had osteoporosis so bad that
(a) I had aleady lost an inch in height (which can't afford!) and
(b) my family physician said "if you fall, you will break"....

At that point, I started on daily Didrocal, no waiting etc; also vitamin D and calcium. This was before my heart surgery, and before any heart meds.

By the next year I had managed to increase my bone density; I had also taken cardiac "pre-hab" and had been walking quiate a bit. With OHS looming close about 2.5 years ago, I was put on Fosamax or Fosavance; it is a pain, I asked to be put bask on Didrocal, but doctor said Fosamax is much, much better at re-building the bone.

I take it Sunday (when I remember) and wait half an hour before coffee; food and meds always come much later, anyway - gotta get that coffee first! I take calcium pill morning and night, and the days I take the Fosamax I just don't take the morning one at all.

I haven't had any problems (apart from remembering to take it, and you'll be OK there, I am such a scatterbrain and disorganized, too!), but my first husband insisted tht I didn't have a stomach, I had a a stainless steel vat instead - never had any digestive issues.

good luck with it! and yes there are other med choices.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and sharing of experiences. :)
I've researched Fosamax and it's past history, the jaw bone issues scare me, but
otherwise it is somewhat similar to Actonel.
Evista is hormone based with many possible side effects including possible warfarin
interaction, so I'll keep that one on the back burner too.
I'll try out the once weekly Actonel maybe next week, and see how it goes.

Those calcium horse pills aren't going to happen ;), so I will buy more of the chewy
calcium supplements and take 2 a day (not with Actonel or Coumadin).
I'm also forecasting more fiber in my diet....pass the prune juice please. Yuk.

The disappointing part of taking the Actonel is that it is taken first thing in the morning upon rising,
sitting up or standing only, then waiting at least 1/2 hour to eat.
I already take my Metoprolol upon awakening and then wait 1/2 hour to eat. Grrrr.
Exercise and my arrhythmia issue don't seem to get along either. LOL I'm such a loser.

I had a different one some years ago with the same instructions. I took it once a week, I think for a few years. finally just gave it up when my dr moved away. don't know if it helped me because I never got another test.

did you know there is one that is given once a year IV? you must have been dxed with osteoporosis in order to get it and it's done in the hospital.

Bina,
I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis about 3 years ago with numbers worse than yours, and at the time I was 46. Dr. put my on Forteo (sp) injections. No side effects for me. But extremely expensive. I took it as long as I had insurance then had to stop. It is said to actually rebuild. Injections are painless.

I also have ostoeporosis in my family and was diagnosed just recently
with low vitamin D,in spite of the ca+ and D supplement I take.
I haven't had a bone density test yet,but I guess I should.
I was always taught that weight bearing exrcise is one of the best ways
to strengthen bones, did you doctors mention this as a therapy?
Wishing you well - Dina

For women the bone loss accelerates during menopause and thereafter; we all need to be aware of this and take preventive steps. I guess a BMD test would have been needed before I turned 50, but most women don't suffer that much bone loss so soon.
The test is simple, no prep, it's just like an x-ray and mine was done in a small clinic within a matter of minutes.
Now, whenever my hubby recovers from his flu/cold virus, I will be able to get the meds and see how they are tolerated.
Thanks again for great feedback. :)

Bina,

I am tardy as usual. I don't have any expertise on this to offer, but I did want to extend my best wishes. I will say it is my observation from DW's experiences that the medical world is heavily into prevention for the osteo problems, and that is a good thing. Hope you find the right balance that will help you.

Cheers....

Latest posts

Back