BNP - Another test to stress over

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hook

The first BNP test I had was almost a year ago, and it was 331. After they got the water off, the next test two months later was 279. This past may I knew the valve was leaking more and the number jumped to the 800s.

My first BNP post opp was three weeks ago, it was down to 175. They say below 100 is normal.

Does anyone understand this test, and has anyone had similar results?

From what I understand it measures a hormone your heart gives off when it is stressed. Mine before surgery was 1700 it is now still really high 7 weeks out, I think the last test I was at 1100. That's all I know, when I was diagnosed with mitral regurg I was at 650.

Hi Todd,
the BNP, Like michelle said is just an indicator of stress on the heart, there's a marker the heart secretes when its stressed out, in the hospital, one use we use it for is to try and determine whether a person's shortness of breath is cardiac related or lung related, it is a sign of CHF, but it needs to be correlated with other clinical signs and symptoms, like anything in medicine, one test result cant be taken out of context, its used with other information the dr has to make decisions on whats going on I do know results in the range of 200 are mild elevation, in the range of 500 is moderate elevation, and in the range of 1000 is severe elevation, as a clinician I believe one of the highest readings I have seen is around 1800-1900, personally, the last time I had mine measured I want to say it was around 40 or 60 the last time I was in the ER with my heart.....I'm not in CHF and my VR's aren't in the near vicinity (hopefully)

Latest posts

Back