Blurred vision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royalcat

hi everyone. post op 10 weeks and i get blurred vision 3 or 4 times a week. for the last 2 weeks i experience more often. this can be a common side effect of operation but considering the last weeks, this is may not be normal?. my blood pressure is normal during blurred visions. what can this be?:confused:

If it just comes and goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but certainly tell your Cardiologist about it. Most likely just aftershock from anesthesia.

I had blurred vision for the first 8 weeks or so after my surgery. It was constant and I was getting concerned about it. One day it seemed to just get better.When I did mention it to my doctor,he told me to give it 3 months,,like a lot of other things I complained about. I'm sure it is like Ross said,,an aftershock of surgery but do tell your doctor.

My doctors have never been able to say conclusively what causes my episodes of blurred vision. One doctor said that perhaps it was tiny little clots that were breaking up but who knows. The scariest part was that sometimes I would have to pull over when driving until it passed. :eek:

So, if I were you & if everything else is going okay, don't dwell too much on them; keep track of when & how often they happen but certainly don't worry yourself to death about them! Take care!:)

hi everyone. post op 10 weeks and i get blurred vision 3 or 4 times a week. for the last 2 weeks i experience more often. this can be a common side effect of operation but considering the last weeks, this is may not be normal?. my blood pressure is normal during blurred visions. what can this be?:confused:

As you see from the previous responses, this is not an uncommon experience following OHS.

If you see a 'gray cloud or screen' on ONE EYE only, or can't see at all from ONE Eye, call your Doc or get to the ER because this can be a sign of a stroke.

Tiny clots are sometimes 'suggested' as possible causes.
"Optical Migraines" are another. An Opthomologist can tell you more about these. They typically disappear in under an hour, often more like 20 minutes.

I told my Cardiologist that whenever I get any 'Optical Disturbance' I chew a full (325 mg) Aspirin (and I am on Coumdin / Warfarin also). He said he thought that was a good idea. Be sure to get your Doc's OK before following suit. (If you are already taking Aspirin or Plavix, then you may want to discuss a lower dose for the 'chew'). Whatever you do, Get Approval from your Doc First!

'AL Capshaw'

As you see from the previous responses, this is not an uncommon experience following OHS.

If you see a 'gray cloud or screen' on ONE EYE only, or can't see at all from ONE Eye, call your Doc or get to the ER because this can be a sign of a stroke.

Tiny clots are sometimes 'suggested' as possible causes.
"Optical Migraines" are another. An Opthomologist can tell you more about these. They typically disappear in under an hour, often more like 20 minutes.

I told my Cardiologist that whenever I get any 'Optical Disturbance' I chew a full (325 mg) Aspirin (and I am on Coumdin / Warfarin also). He said he thought that was a good idea. Be sure to get your Doc's OK before following suit. (If you are already taking Aspirin or Plavix, then you may want to discuss a lower dose for the 'chew'). Whatever you do, Get Approval from your Doc First!

'AL Capshaw'
this can be optical migraine because i get headaches after blurred visions. i will ask my doc. thank you for posts

I got optical migraine without headache post op. Because symptoms can resemble detached retina, my cardio and PCP wanted me to be checked by Ophthomologist. After a very thorough check, he told me they were nothing for me to worry about.

As all said before it is a common side effect after the surgery. But when I went for my eye exam two weeks ago, my ophthalmologist asked me about my sugar level since last year I was pre-diabetic. There was nothing wrong with my eyes.:)

Re: blurred vision

Re: blurred vision

A few months ago I suffered what is called a vitreous hemorrhage in my left eye. The ophthalmologist said that although it is normal for the vitreous -- the big bag of jelly inside the eye -- to pull away from the back of the eye (where the retina is) in older people (I'm 60 in January) that my problem was probably worsened by the fact I was taking warfarin. (I had a mechanical valve installed Jully 2007) This he said meant that the bleeding that occurred as a result of the pulling away was longer and worse. I had a cloud of blood in my eye for about a month and was barely able to work. (I have an office job) It did finally clear but was disconcerting to say the least. I still have a few "floaters" in the eye but vision much better now.

Not sure if this is related to your vision problem

royalcat,

I also went through brief periods of partial blindness, two different types. One portion caused a purple area below my field of vision mostly in my left eye, while scotomata (wavering, sometimes quite pretty, alternating black and white--occasionally rainbow colored--lines like Moire patterns) would be visible in both eyes. I even got this in dreams--upon awakening and opening my eyes, the patterns would still be there in the exact same spots as in my dreams.

Some of this was from my Toprol, and worse with the generic metoporol, and the purple blindness (occurred about two to three times a day) stopped altogether when I quit them 3 months out from surgery. The scotomata occasionally recurs, but seldom more often than once every three weeks or so, and very low intensity--I can see through the patterns.

One other thing: Strokes and TIAs (transient ischemic attacks) can cause partial blindness, visual field defects (missing several degrees of vision; the brain knits the peripheral vision piece to the central one--so you can miss an entire person, but see a window next to him attached to a door on the other side of the person), or total blindness in one or both eyes. This depends on the part of the brain affected. The purple partial blindness (could only see far violet in the affected part) was from a different part of my vision than my scotomata which affected both eyes equally. Migraines are vascular in origin, too, and can affect vision like a TIA, especially the aura part. Yes, there is a such thing as a headache-free migraine--I seldom experienced any discomfort after my visual disturbances. Even when I suffered a serious visual field defect 25 years ago, I only got a mild headache afterward--doctor diagnosed a TIA then. My mother gets them occasionally, too. She's almost 76 and has never shown any stroke symptoms whatsoever.

Another side note: I've read in JAMA--my wife is a doctor--that when septal defects (holes between the atria, ventricles, or both) are repaired in OHS, a significant number of people are cured of their migraine headaches, or at least they are greatly diminished in severity and duration. Anyone else here noticed that when having septal defects repaired your migraines have since quit happening or are happening less often?

So don't be afraid what you're experiencing is a stroke symptom. It's probably little more than either a side-effect of a medication you're taking, or your brain recovering from the heart-lung bypass machine (and anesthesia).

Chris

I had a significant patent orvale foramen ovale repaired during my surgery. I never had migraines prior to this surgery or since.

royalcat,

I also went through brief periods of partial blindness, two different types. One portion caused a purple area below my field of vision mostly in my left eye, while scotomata (wavering, sometimes quite pretty, alternating black and white--occasionally rainbow colored--lines like Moire patterns) would be visible in both eyes. I even got this in dreams--upon awakening and opening my eyes, the patterns would still be there in the exact same spots as in my dreams.

Some of this was from my Toprol, and worse with the generic metoporol, and the purple blindness (occurred about two to three times a day) stopped altogether when I quit them 3 months out from surgery. The scotomata occasionally recurs, but seldom more often than once every three weeks or so, and very low intensity--I can see through the patterns.

Chris

I am also on toprol, this can be from it. Thanks for reply

I have an appointment for Mitral Valve surgery on the 18th. I have severe regurg but really no symptoms. I dont have sob or afib. For 4years I have been told by several surgeons I need to have the valve repaired. However I read about all the problems people have after surgery and it frightens me. I just read about all these people having blurry vision after surgery. It does sound like a TIA or stroke. People also get A-fib after surgery. I never had a_fib or blurry vision. I do have migraines and a PFO. They will close the PFO and that might stop my migraines. However I am really afraid. I dont feel ill now except I do get runs of palps sometimes. Is the operation worth it. Will I really feel better

I have an appointment for Mitral Valve surgery on the 18th. I have severe regurg but really no symptoms. I dont have sob or afib. For 4years I have been told by several surgeons I need to have the valve repaired. However I read about all the problems people have after surgery and it frightens me. I just read about all these people having blurry vision after surgery. It does sound like a TIA or stroke. People also get A-fib after surgery. I never had a_fib or blurry vision. I do have migraines and a PFO. They will close the PFO and that might stop my migraines. However I am really afraid. I dont feel ill now except I do get runs of palps sometimes. Is the operation worth it. Will I really feel better

It would be good to tell your Cardiologist (and Surgeon) what you just told us about your fears.

I've been reading VR.com for several years and while many do have these 'minor disturbances' (optical migraines / visual effects / A-Fib / etc.) in the vast majority of cases, those issues clear up after several weeks to a few months.

It comes down to Risks vs. Benefits which is a good thing discuss with your Doctors. Severe Regurg is probably not something you want to leave unaddressed. Ask your Doc's what would happen if you just did Nothing. Hopefully that will get you back on board with the idea of getting FIXED (by Surgery).

'AL Capshaw'

Harmony..... all your fears are normal and all of us had variations of the same.

I have optical migraine from the surgery (without headache) and it is such a small annoyance it is insignificant in my life. When I get an episode, it lasts 22 minutes.... I know, strange, but they timed them in the hospital when they began and I have timed them several episodes at home. I do not have blurred vision and truly ignore this issue. It's a -0- on the one to ten scale. It is NOT TIA or stroke. Absolutely no impairment nor permanent damage to my vision. And I assure you Mass General and my private ophthamologist carefully checked for both.

Do nothing and not have your surgery? That is not an option. I surely considered the same and when I told my cardio I had to mull this over and would speak later with him about it. He made the simple statement, "There is a point of no return". Wait too long and it will be too late.

Severe regurg will never heal itself.

I had PFO repaired..... I never knew in advance I had it.
No a-fib.

As hard as it is, we all struggle to wrap our heads around the fact this surgery is not 'elective'. The only choice is whether to continue a quality of life.... I so know all you are thinking and fearing and you are like all the rest of us. This was my second OHS in four years and I knew what to expect. The first was emergency; this one I had to walk through the front door 'voluntarily.' Of course that was hard. You just do what you have to do.

BUT for almost all of us, the anticipation and stress and worry and all the things we fear are so much worse than the reality. These professionals are so skilled and experienced and do this multiple times a day. For us, it is mind wrenching, for the nurses, surgeons, techs etc, it is what they do so well.

Only permit a surgeon you totally trust to do it and only go to a hospital where you have faith in their experience, reputation and staff....

This is a hugely successful surgery and far easier than you think it will be IMO

Al and JKm7 thank you for your answers. I wishI felt more comforted but I dont. I am happy with my Cardio who I have been seeing for about 6 years. He always felt I could wait for surgery. In Sept I had my 6 month check up and echo. My left ventricle EDD had gotten a little bigger, MY EF gone down a little and Pulmonary Hype up a little. My Cardio knew I was terrified of surgery so he said I could still wait. About 2 weeks later I woke up feeling kind of strange so I took my BP. It was the usual 115 to 120 over 60 to 65. (dont remember exactly). However the heart was blinking on the monitor which indicates a irregular hearbeat. I took it over a few times and it still showed a irregular heart beat. I called my Cardio and he told me to come right over. This is the first time he ever got so upset with something I told him. He did a EKG and put a Holter monitor on me. When I returned it he called me there was problems with it. He told me to go for a Angiogram. I also felt no irregular beats or palps when I wore the holter and none at any other time. The angiogram showed no irregular beats but it showed my MV has severe regurg 4+ ( which I know is very high) and my Pulmonary Hype is up to 50. I trust my Cardio. The Surgeon I went to is at NYU medical center and is very well known. I am still terrified about surgery. Over the past 4 years I have seen 4 surgeons all said surgery now. I have seen 2 other Cardios and all said I could wait. However waiting just is waiting not healing. It seems Surgeons want to operate at once and cardios say wait. 2 1/2 years ago I was hit by a car while walking on the sidewalk. I spent almost 3 months in a rehab with a horribly broken leg and shoulder and severe head cuts . I had a lot of memory problems and still do have some from the accident. I am very lucky to have survived and am able to walk which took a year.. Now I am to go through OHS it just seems un fair. I am curious does the majority here have high or low BP

Last edited:
I`ve only had two episodes of blurred vision but I did tell my Doctor and he didn`t seem too concern. I`m in week 7 of post-op recovery and I am currently on coumadin sessions. Again I`m no Doctor but you would let your Health care personnel know.

Harmony.... Fair. No, of course, it isn't fair for a person to be mowed down by a car when they are walking on a sidewalk. Fair? For one person to require two OHS in four years? No, of course, it isn't fair.

But who promised us fair in life?
We take the hand we are dealt and we play it the best we can.
We all observe so many unfair things happening around and to us. I gave up looking for fair a very long time ago. :)

Your fears are normal and usual. We all had/have variations on the same.
Your chances of doing fine are huge. Remember, the healthier you are going in, the easier the surgery/recovery will be. I went into my second OHS in excellent condition and it was very much easier on me than my first when I went into it very ill.

You can do it. You have to do it.
Delaying it does not do your heart or your psyche any good. Your tests show the status of your heart. It won't get better on its own.

You will find strength to pull on the same as you did when you had that horrible accident. You survived that and have recovered and you will do the same with your heart surgery.

TRULY, the anticipation, worry and wait really are the worst part of this for just about all of us.

Please let us know how we can help you.. If you have questions you prefer to not post, please feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help.

You are strong. You have proven it.

I don't have anything new to add to the info the others have already given you, but I thought I would add myself to the growing list of people who are telling you, "I had some vision troubles after surgery, and they were temporary and went away."

Latest posts

Back