Blood pressure drops

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

delcar

Hi I"m 6 weeks after mitral valve repair, doing well. Walking every day. I,m taking 100mg of metoprolol twice a day. About 1 hr after taking it in the morning. My blood pressure drops to 99 over 67. Am I taking to much? Seems to come back up to 120 over 75 after a couple of hours.

MIne does the exact same thing even though I am taking a lower dose.
It sounds like you may be better off with the slow release once a day version of BB.
In the States it's probably Toprolol name brand. Ask your doctor.

Re: Toprol dose

Re: Toprol dose

I'm taking the generic version of Toprol (metoprol) after having aortic valve replacement in July of 2007.

Don't think drop in blood pressure is unusual...I think that is what it's supposed to do. I find it also sometimes drops my pulse rate to below 50 in the a.m. before breakfast.

My daily dose is only 50 mg a day. I'm sure there's some reason yours is so much higher.

Post op I was also on a higher dose, 75 mg per day. It's very useful to take the workload off of the heart.
As you recover you may be able to reduce your dose, it depends on your HR and BP.
With Metoprolol the peak plasma concentration is after 1.5-2 hours.
With slow release formulas it is after 4-5 hours.
Ingestion with food may raise the systemic availability by about 20-40 %
It may be taken on an empty stomach or with food, but it's recommended to take it always the same way.

Hi I"m 6 weeks after mitral valve repair, doing well. Walking every day. I,m taking 100mg of metoprolol twice a day. About 1 hr after taking it in the morning. My blood pressure drops to 99 over 67. Am I taking to much? Seems to come back up to 120 over 75 after a couple of hours.

Ask your doctor........:)

I just had my 2 year checkup and I am on 25 mg of metaprolol a day. My blood pressure was 100/67 and my cardiologist was thrilled. It does seem that it bottoms out about 2 hours after taking and rises a bit from there, but normally I don't ever get above about 112/74

Latest posts

Back