Biking, also, anyone still having shoulder arm pain?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Relax everyone. I told the nurses at rehab my program of biking 3 mi in the morning 3 at mid day and 3 in the evening pus walking and they seem fine with the program. twice a week I go to rehab and do the treadmill, stepper, and bike for an hour. I do this mainly because AFLAC pays me $130 a day to go to rehab. other wise I love my bike. Now if this numbness in my fingers and the dull pain in my shoulder blade and right tricep would go away I'd be happy. Doc seems to think it is as they said at Mayo, that it is just from the positioning during surgery and will gradually go away. Nerves probly pinched. Anyone else have this problem?

Not only did I have numbness in my fingers . . . but I hate to tell you I still have a bit of problem with it, though not nearly so badly as early on, with my right fingers going numb when I sleep in the wrong position. The numbness only occurs when my shoulder is in a forward position and resolves when I roll my shoulder back. A pain in/near my right shoulder blade took a few months to completely go away too, as I recall.

Pains

Pains

My AVR was in March 2007 and something got pinched and radiates under my left shoulder blade. It still flares from time-to-time. The problem sometimes results in numbness down my left arm. This often happens when I do lengthy rides on my bicycle.

It probably is a result of how I'm positioned on my road bicycle. Working with a professional bicycle fitter helped reduce the problem, but it still appears on occasion; particullary on century rides.

Working with a good massage therapist has also helped.

They really bend some bones in unnatural directions during OHS. It's not uncommon to hear reports of aches, and pains from those of us who've had our chests opened and spread.

-Philip

I was told about the positioning issue also, after almost a year and having worse pain, I had sternal wires removed. I now have greatly decreased pain, not only around my sternum, but my back and left shoulder feel better too. It has only been few days since the wires were removed, so I have not been on my bike yet. But I hope to soon. I tried a couple of times to get out on the road bike since surgery and my back and shoulder blade pain were overwhelming. I am not saying this is the answer to everyone's issues, but I am shocked at how much better I feel so quickly after the wires came out.

The thumb on my left hand has slight numbness but is slowly getting better. I had a really sore left shoulder in ICU and this still gives me trouble, although I am only three weeks post op

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback

Kiwi girl, you and i are pretty close on our post op time,( 11/19/09)
love to keep in touch with you to see how things are going. My chest feels pretty good, a bit tight, like i did 100 push ups, but expected. I fig. The numbness was an expected post op thing, just discouraging as i don't have much strength in my right hand because of this. Doc put me on a pain med that targets the nerves to help with the pain. I had carpal tunnel acouple years ago and liken the pain to this. Waking up in the middle of the night trying to shake it out. Other wise cardo is great, i feel like i could bike 100 miles without breaking a sweat. Well it's only 3.5 weeks, so just give it some more time....be patient right?....lol.

Mac, from the sunny below 0 shores of lake superior

Wait a minute! You are only a few weeks post-op. That pain in your shoulders is probably an acute effect from the sternal stretching during the operation. Bike riding may be putting too much stress in that area. Ride in a more upright postion on a different type of bike with different handlebars for a while. I would be careful that you aren't stressing the sternal incision as well as your shoulders. 3 weeks out is not long enough for good healing.

I had the same problems with numbness and pain after my surgery. For me, the numbness was the most annoying...I woke up after surgery unable to feel in four fingers on my left hand. However, the improvement was fairly rapid, and by three to four weeks it had cleared up. The pain in my right shoulder and arm may have taken a little longer, but if so it was probably because I was tossing, turning, and rolling in bed trying to find a comfortable position.

Tomorrow will be 8 weeks post-op for me, and I feel as good as new. All of this will pass for you as well - time heals all wounds.

The pain in my shoulders was really bad for about 6 weeks after surgery. It killed me to even go on the computer. I'm 11 months post op and still get pain from them from time to time, mostly at night when I'm trying to sleep. The colder weather has made a difference as well.I was told it is called frozen shoulder and is from the postion they put your arms in during surgery. During my rehab I was given exercises to do to help, it did at the time and I guess I should get back to doing them again :)

Not sure what kind of bike you have, but I'm trying to figure out how your cardiologist or surgeon reconciles the standard 10 lb weight restriction for eight weeks with your typical road biking posture. Are you on an exersize bike in a more upright position? Or a recumbant perhaps?

I'm about 8 1/2 weeks out and have a mountain bike with more of a racing posture. I would not want to ride even now. I might start throwing around some 10 lb dumbells, but certainly not holding the weight of my upper body on my arms for an extended period. Of course, I suppose that depends on what you weigh.

My first valve replacement was 19 years ago. I didn't start any serious riding until after that so I don't know if it's a change. Even 19 years later my index and middle fingers will go numb on a long bike ride. Both hands are the same. I typically will take a break and ride one handed for a while and shake it out.

Latest posts

Back