beta blockers, how i love thee... let me count the ways

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuoricino

www.thoughtsfromabroad.com
Hey all, random post by yours truly.

I was diagnosed with BAV at age 5, suffered a bit of mild SOB every once in a while from 2006-2008 and in 2009 it became almost a daily occurance. I was then told in early May 2009 by my cardio that I'd be needing OHS soon and SOB increased and I also developed a bit of mild angina. Mind you, ALL of these so called symptoms never really bothered me very much and I rarely told doctors about them as I figured it was "normal" or in any case too mild to be considered noteworthy.

Well, surgery is on the horizon. I've got an aneurysm in my ascending aorta at 5cm and I'm hoping for surgery end of July or beginning of September (I'm currently on the waiting list... and anxious to get this thing DONE). The last time I met with the surgeon, he prescribed 50mg of seloken a day. He said it would keep my blood pressure low so my poor aneurysm would stay where it's at. At first I was really tired and felt pretty drugged up. But my body is adjusting now and POOF... all my "non-symptoms" are no longer there! I feel great!

Now, since my symptoms initially increased after first hearing about the surgery I'm wary: were all these symptoms in my head from the get-go? Does the disappearance of the symptoms have more to do with my acceptance of the surgery and not with seloken? Others on bet-blockers have the same experience? My surgeon didn't mention anything about alleviating symptoms...

Anywho - just thought I'd share. Hoping that I'll be symptom free until my surgery, whenever it may be!!!:p

Well, the way I see it is...beta-blocker = less strain on the heart to pump blood = less strain on lungs to get body oxygenated = less symptoms. I don't think these symptoms were in your head, its just that the medication calms everything down. But since I'm not an MD that is only my opinion.

Well, the way I see it is...beta-blocker = less strain on the heart to pump blood = less strain on lungs to get body oxygenated = less symptoms. I don't think these symptoms were in your head, its just that the medication calms everything down. But since I'm not an MD that is only my opinion.

I concur. I'm three years post-op after mitral repair, and I'm on a heavy dose of beta-blocker. 240 mg of Betapace (sotalol) to be exact (to treat an abnormal heart rhythm). My blood pressure is low and so is my heart rate. I have to push myself extra hard to get my heart rate up during exercise. However, in your case, I agree that the beta-blocker will alleviate your symptoms, but it doesn't mean much else. It's not in your head. You'll feel so much better after surgery.

Not sure how things work in Italy in regards of being put on the waiting list.

In my case, I was put on the waiting list on a Monday and had surgery that same week. Got a call 3 days later on Thursday for re-op tests with the operation the next day.

I didn't have time to have frozen dinners ready for my family or anything.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up........just in case.

i was having dizzy spells and s.o.b. when i found out i needed surgery. at that time i was put on two beta blockers. while my s.o.b. continued all of my dizziness was gone after i started taking the beta-blockers. my s.o.b. didn't go away until after surgery and after they had to put a pacemaker in. but your symptoms were not in your head. and after surgery you will feel so much better.

an aneurysm at 5.0 is nothing to fool with. You may not have symptoms because of the drug, but believe me, if that thing bursts and doesn't kill you immediately, your going to experience a pain that is undescribably bad. I was lucky enough to survive a rupture and it is no fun at all.

I hope you get into surgery sooner than later like Ross pointed out the aneurysm is nothing to fool with. I wish you the best, and hope you have a smooth & bump free ride to a full recovery.

well so much for being subtle, ross!

no need to tell me what i already know and what i've been trying to stress to the surgeons here!!!! i want this surgery. now. but that doesn't mean i have a talented surgeon at my beck and call just because i've decided i'm ready.

i'm on the list, and unfortunately here in italy that means waiting. i wish it was as easy as signing up, getting a call two days later and going in and getting it done! but the surgeons here take the whole month of august off, so my time frame is HOPEFULLY end of july or more likely beginning of september.

in the mean time i'm taking my beta blockers, taking life much slower than before: no deliberate exercise (although i do walk to and from work everyday.... i walk slooooowly as to not raise my heartbeat/blood pressure too much), no lifting (not a problem as my boyfriend takes everything right out of my hands even if it's light) and generally just trying to stay calm and take it easy.

what else can I do? cut myself open with the kitchen knife?! :D

What I have never understood about this August thing in Italy (France too but to a lesser extent) is what in the world does someone do if they end up in the ER in August and have to be urgently operated on. I would presume they keep a few doctors on call, but I am guessing that the ones that have to work in August are the ones where the ink is not yet dry on their diplomas!:eek: Couldn't hospitals and companies split up people's vacations between July and August so there are always competent people on call?

i hear you loud and clear adrienne!!!

grr... frustrating. on top of the stress that waiting brings, i also have to stress about the fact that if something DOES happen in august (knock on wood that it doesn't) who the heck am i gonna end up with in the ER?? no no no... they need a new system.

maybe we'll just stick with the kitchen knife idea. i've already got an assistant and a cook... any others wanna step forward? this could be an interesting little "experiment" to enrich the website!! :p

I have a Mickey Mouse pocket watch so I can put you to sleep. "You're getting sleepy, sleepy......" Is it working yet? Of course that could make it difficult for you to do your own surgery.

I have a Mickey Mouse pocket watch so I can put you to sleep. "You're getting sleepy, sleepy......" Is it working yet? Of course that could make it difficult for you to do your own surgery.

Just don't get Micheal Jackson's doc to put you to sleep. I WOULD go with Lisa

I'm not willing to venture a guess on whether you were making it up or not, but I will tell you that beta blockers are occasionally prescribed for anxiety and other weird stuff like alcohol withdrawal. With that in mind, I would venture to guess that you do feel less anxious in general. The comments about BB's treating angina and helping the heart begin to beat more efficiently is also true. Even if you are experiencing a reprieve in symptoms, you still have a 5.0cm aneurysm and a BAV, so the BB's seem much like a band-aid to keep you well until it's fixed.

How is your aortic valve's condition?

let's hope that bandaid's on there nice and tight as I'm kind of freaking out a bit more every day that I wait for this operation!!

as far as my valve goes... it's debatable whether or not it can be repaired. even after the TEE, the surgeon didn't make any promises. he said that he could "imagine" from my stats what he would have to do once he got his hands on me, but couldn't be sure until he got in there how beat up it is.

as far as my symptoms... i spoke a bit too soon. dull angina and a bit of SOB thursday and friday, saturday definite angina and SOB after a day filled with laundry, ironing and general house duties... but yesterday i spent all day at the beach and didn't feel a thing. :cool: i'm starting to think that the symptoms are very stress related, although i'm surprised that they "came back". :mad: i wonder if a higher dose is appropriate. i'm calling my cardio tomorrow...

Latest posts

Back