Beta Blockers and GERD Symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobagotwo

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
We all realize that the effects of prescription medicines are not always as selective as they appear to be, at least in some patients. And sometimes, their effects don't show up right away, so we tend not to associate them to the drug. So let it be with beta blockers.

Some months after I had my dosage of Bystolic (a beta blocker) doubled to 10 mg/day, I was in the throes of obvious GERD, with lots of heartburn and pain, particularly at night. I was at the point where I wanted to take Prilosec daily for the rest of my life, as it was the only over-the-counter thing that helped. However, omperazole and other proton pump inhibitors affect the metabolism of calcium over time, and that's not something a tissue valve owner wants to tinker with.

I also had symptoms of an inflamed colon, which are very unpleasant, especially in the workplace. I was miserable, and looking at a prolonged relationship with a gastroenterologist and many unpleasant tests. I was also having angina and miserably unable to do anything: I would come home and have to rest, get up and do things for 20-30 minutes, and have to rest again.

As such, I asked my cardiologists to play around with my meds, and get me on a lower dose of beta blocker. After we tried an ACE inhibitor with half the dose of beta blocker for a couple of weeks, I noticed my stomach problems fading away. We juggled some more, but we couldn't get my blood pressure where it needed to be. So the beta blocker came back to 10 mg. My blood pressure dropped back down, and the GERD symptoms came back big time.

My cardiologist was very patient with this process. It's a real pain in the butt for him. I keep showing up with lackluster results, still wanting him to try something else. But he came up with another idea. By pairing half the dose of Bystolic with a diuretic (HCT), we were able to get my blood pressure down to excellent levels (often 90s over 60s) and my beta blocker dose cut back in half. And my stomach problems have disappeared again. Wierd that a diuretic would help my BP, because I had no signs of water retention.

My theory is that as the beta blocker slowed and reduced the autonomic nervous system's trigger to make the heart beat, it was also having the same efffect on my esophogeal sphincter. That's the little, circular muscle at the top of your stomach that is continually stimulated by the autonomic nervous system to stay closed, so the stomach's acidic contents don't spill out onto the (relatively) delicate tissues of the esophogus. Once that sphincter started staying closed all night, the inflamed tissues immediately began to heal. What was happening at the other end of the intestinal tract, I haven't spent much time thinking about. But that part of the problem went away completely, too.

No more pain. That has made an intense difference in my life. I have "myself" back again.

So, if you are taking a beta blocker, and have developed GERD symptoms over time, maybe you should look into whether they are related in your case as well.

Best wishes,

Hi Bob long time no see!

I have had the same problem with beta blockers including gerd and colon problems. We didn't go the diuretic route but we did cut the beta blocker (metoprolol) in half and added a small dose of an ace inhibitor (enalapril) and it seemed to help. It didn't completely cure the symptoms i was having but it made them manageable, and my BP is actually in a better range than it was with the higher dose of beta blockers alone.

Glad you and your doc were able to work out the issue. I love my docs because they actually listen to me and respect the fact that I am part of the "team".

Hi Bob, glad "you're" back.

When do you take your meds--morning or night?

Just curious after seeing a new study that reports taking blood pressure meds at bedtime is 50% more effective in reducing the numbers.

I'm very glad that you got the GERD under control.

Bob,
I've been fighting the same battle since my surgery last February. I am now at the point where we have cut my metoprolol from 100 mg/day to 50 mg/day and added more HCTZ to keep my blood pressure in an acceptable range. For a while Zantac worked on the GERD, but recently I've had to go back to Prilosec to get any relief, and often need Maalox in addition to that. My next step is to get a referral to a gastro, as I don't think they will ever take me off the beta blocker entirely, given my history of heart rhythm issues. Some days are better than others. My innards do not like it when I climb on or under things, such as when I must crawl around plugging in power tools to do home projects. If I am careful in what I do, I'm OK.

I've been popping in and out, Bryan. It's been hectic, but I have been on other threads. Like you, I also have enalapril as an ACE inhibitor.

M, I always take the BP meds at night, and vitamins, aspirin, etc. during the day. The most dangerous time is in the early morning, as your body gets ready to awaken. That's usually your highest blood pressure of the day. Although the meds claim to mete themselves out evenly over time, there's always a higher end of the curve, and I want the highest chance of the highest concentration at that peak, morning time.

Steve, I hope you have good luck getting the pain and associated issues under control. I hate to think of another therapy to make this therapy bearable. I didn't do away with the beta blocker either, only knocked it down. When the pain goes away for a couple of weeks, you can really appreciate how much it wrecks your life. When you feel more secure with your heartbeat, it may be time to approach your cardiologist with this issue again. You may have better luck with a different, cardioselective beta blocker. Quality of life is an essential part of it all.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back