Beta blockers after valve surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi all members anyone taking beta blockers after surgery had mitral valve replacement 4 years ago been on bisoprol ever since how long av u been on them and how do you tolerate them thanks

I was never on them after surgery but was put on them a couple years ago for blood pressure control and irregular heart beat. I am on Atenolol (Beta Blocker) and have noticed no real problems. Recently, my doc increase my dosage by 50%(50mg to 75mg) and the jury is still out on side effects at the increased dosage.

I was on one for 3 months after my first AVR none after second one.

I just got on a beta blocker pre surgery and have not noticed any real change. I am on the lowest dose. I have not noticed any palpitations since so that is good, other than that my BP seems to remain pretty low, even when perceived exertion is high.

I've been on Bisoprolol for over 3 years now since AVR, originally on a 2.5mg dose, but reduced to 1.25mg with cardios agreement after side effects, just have some light headedness at times but not too bad to cope with.

I did not take a beta blocker until my aortic valve replacement/pacemaker implant almost 6 years ago. Immediately after surgery, since I had a propensity toward afib, they gave me timed-release Metoprolol, 100 mg/day. It controlled my heart rate and rhythm, but I felt like I was towing around a sled full of boulders all day. I tolerated it for a while (about 3 months?), then had a talk with my cardio about it. He agreed to reduce my daily dosage to 50 mg, as a test. I felt better, but still not back to "normal." My heart rate continued to behave. After about another 3 months, I mentioned it again, and since all was well, he agreed to try reducing my dosage to 25 mg/day. That seemed to work fine for heart rate/rhythm control, and I felt even more "normal." I've stayed at 25 mg/day for over 5 years now, and have only occasional issues.

I was put on Bisoprolol after surgery, I think more as a precaution against atrial fibrilation than anything else, and expect to be on them permanently, not that I am happy about that. No great problems at first, but after about 3 months I started getting pain in my legs on exertion, and investigations seem to suggest that the beta-blocker is exacerbating claudication of the arteries caused by my diabetes. In other words, I am getting a reduced blood flow to muscles caused by a combination of calcification of the arteries and the beta-blocker. Switching to Nebivolol has reduced the problem quite a bit, though I do find I feel tired more now, and it seems likely that the beta-blocker, because of how it works, is at least contributing to that if not largely responsible. But cardiologist is keen I stay on them. (Dose is 5mg per day).

Latest posts

Back