Bentall Procedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I know of two--

Racefan (mike) has his done 08-07
&
Seth on 06-08--- You can check out some of their
old posts, click on member list and read about them
or PM them. Take care Debbie:)

Anyone had the Bentall Procedure done?

I'd love info. on it. I might possibly have to have it.....something with the root of the aortic valve.

If you can tolerate a tissue valve, you might consider the Medtronic Freestyle Porcine Valve. It's the valve and ascending aorta all in one piece. It's a native pig valve, and not man made from pig tissue. A lot of us have this valve with very good results! :)

If you can tolerate a tissue valve, you might consider the Medtronic Freestyle Porcine Valve. It's the valve and ascending aorta all in one piece. It's a native pig valve, and not man made from pig tissue. A lot of us have this valve with very good results! :)

Ditto. I had the Bentall's and have the Medtronic Freestyle. One-piece, stentless, porcine. You might want to do a search and see what's on here. I have had good success with mine for four years (knock on wood). :)

I also had the Bentall procedure. I have an On-X valve with a seperate dacron "tube" replacing my ascending aorta.

I had it also, twice even. Once to replace part of my aorta and repair what was left of my native aortic valve and then again to replace the shot native valve with a St. Jude Mechanical valve and graft sleeve.

Well the cardiologist said it might happen tomorrow, but he'd let the surgeon make the decision. I want the mechancial because I don't ever want to do this again....a tissue would put me having to do this again since they don't last long.

Another dumb question....I am getting an aortic valve replacement and possibly a Bentall procedure as well. Do each of these surgeries take 4 to 5 hours or is a total of 4 or 5 total? I can't imagine being on a heart/lung maching for 9 or 10 hours.

Here is what my paper says that he gave my husband.

severe AO valve calcification which we already knew
AO and root dilation

Recommendations: Bantell Procedure

My understanding is the Bentall procedure entails sewing your coronary arteries to the Dacron graft using a "button" at the end of each coronary artery. A "modified Bentall procedure" uses a skin graft from your leg as the "button" at the end of each coronary artery when attaching them to the Dacron graft.

Best of luck,
MrP

Hi,

I had a Bentall Procedure on Feb. 12, 2009. I'm coming up 4 weeks post surgery so I can't speak on longevity but as others have said it is best to get everything done at once. Too often they replace the valve only to have to go in later to repair the Aorta later.

I went for the St. Jude mechanical valve and dacron sleeve. As far as I know the St. Jude Mechanical valve is the only one that comes with the Dacron sleeve already attached. A Dacron sleeve can be attached to a tissue valve or the ON-X mechanical during the surgery though so don't let that limit your choice of valve.

My surgery was 4-5 hours long. It started at 8:00 a.m. and I was in CVU and asking for a beer by 3:00 p.m. I was trying to be funny but apparently it came out like I was an alcoholic. :)

Good luck,

Ian

The procedure I had did not require a skin graft. My surgeon reattached the corornary arteries using a "tissue button" from the original site of attachment.

From the time they took me to the operating room to the time I woke up to my hubby's face, it was a total of 10 hours. Two of those hours were spent getting the lines in - I don't remember anything but the initial IV but apparently I gave the anesthisiologist a hard time - asking him where he went to school and they shouldn't have let him graduate. The nurses thought it was funny and made a point to tell me about it later.

Good luck with your surgery - it will be over before you know it!

The Bentall procedure was a great advance in valve and ascending aorta repair a couple of decades ago. I think my "aortic root replacement" is the generic name for the Bentall procedure. I chose a mechanical valve (never yet asked which one, lol) with a dacron tube. As someone else on this thread said, I hope this will last me the rest of my life.

As I always say, I was first diagnosed as having Marfan Syndrome (a "lack of connective tissue" genetic condition) about 20 years ago. The bentall procedure was quite a life saver then. It just means a variety of surgery where the aortic valve plus replacement aortic tube are sewn in as one unit. Nothing to fear. And, as far as my surgery, nothing was taken out of my leg.

Maryka
Aortic Root replacement Dec. 23, 2008, Johns Hopkins, Dr.Duke Cameron

Latest posts

Back