Being exposed to people with infectious diseases

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

della_anne

I have thought about volunteering at a hospice..but I have the concern that I would be exposed to people with infectious diseases. I have previously had an illness when I was younger (Bacterial Endocarditis) and know that illness like that are not good for the heart. I don't really know who much of a risk I would be putting myself and my heart at risk by exposing myself to people with infectious diseases. What do you guys think?

I have just put in my application to volunteer at a local hospital. I raised the same issue.

The patients who have infectious diseases are not part of the volunteer program so that is not an issue.

As far as the general people at the hospital, you have just as much chance catching something at a mall or grocery store.

I say go for it - the hospitals need us. I am getting very excited.

OK - it's late. I just realized you were talking about a hospice. I am sure there could be some issues with some patients. However, I think you could probably request that you not work with infectious disease patients.

I would think it would be similar to the hospital. I do not think a volunteer program would expose you to danger.

When I was first married, I worked in the pharmacy at Kaiser. I was sick alot!! I would get bronchitis 4 times a year.
Now that I have gone back to work as a music librarian, I haven't been sick a day. I do make sure I get a flu shot and that seems to keep me healthy.
I would stay away from infectious persons if at all possible.
Gail

I make a distinction between infectious and contagious diseases.

There are a lot of infectious diseases that I don't worry about, especially the blood-borne and venereal ones, because they're so easily avoided. AIDS, Hepatitis C, syphilis, etc., etc., etc. Bacterial endocarditis falls in this category for me BTW.

But then there are contagious diseases, and especially the airborne contagious diseases scare the heck out of me. I would not care to have antibiotic-resistant TB. I don't even want strep throat, a cold, or the flu. So, patholigically insensitive fellow that I am, I tend to avoid being around sick people and wouldn't care to work in a hospital.

A hospice would be a different deal, depending on what folks were dying from. I would consider cancer and AIDS patients to be no risk at all, but wouldn't want to be around the patient dying of TB.

You might want to consider doing volunteer work at a psychiatric hospital or rehab unit. None of the mental disorders are either infectious or contagious.

As a volunteer, I'm sure they would not let you near cases as such. That would be reserved for the paid and insured staff. I give credit to anyone that can volunteer at a hospice. I have a big problem of becoming very attached to those that are not going to be here much longer and cannot handle the hurt when they leave.

I know when I was in the hospital they had rooms with plastic covering and the nurses wore masks and gloves to enter. Presumably they would treat high risk patiens like that.

I found one article that mentioned this in connection with that new ailment -

http://www.sarsreference.com/sarsref/trans.htm
>>>>
High-Risk Activities

The rapid spread of SARS among healthcare workers in Hanoi, Vietnam, and in hospitals in Hong Kong confirmed the potentially highly contagious nature of the virus. Medical personnel, physicians, nurses, and hospital workers are among those commonly infected. Attack rates in access of 50% have been reported (MMWR 52:226-8). SARS infection of health care workers is probably related to increased contact with respiratory secretions, contact with patients during a more contagious phase of critical illness, contact with particular patients at increased likelihood of spreading SARS (i.e. superspreaders), or exposure to aerosol-generating patient care procedures (MMWR 52: 433-6).
>>>>

But I know of a lot of people who work in hospitals who dont seem to catch anything more frequently than other people do. The hospital's ventillation system and overall sanitation may be a factor too.

Those facilities certainly could use some good people working in them.

Latest posts

Back