Before bed teas recommendations??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warfarinking

hey all, I was taking cinnamon tea before bed because it relaxed me and helped me sleep at night however my INR started going up so I decided to get off it. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good before bed tea that won't interact with my warfarin? Thanks!

ps. I also looked at Sleepy Time Tea, would any of these ingredients interact?
Chamomile, spearmint, West Indian lemongrass, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn and rosebuds.

I heard the Chamomile ingredient interacts..

-Thanks!:confused2:

Not sure about the tea specifically but the rule with anything is: dose the diet. In other words eat and drink what you want, just be consistent and adjust your warfarin accordingly. Don't let ATC (anti coagulation therapy) hold you hostage:thumbup:

I agree with Cooker. Eat or drink what you want and your mess will be adjusted according to your INR. Your dosage is not one of the 10 Commandments, set in stone, with your diet being very rigid to adapt to it. Just the opposite. Enjoy your favorite foods and beverages.
I wouldn't advise those who like to drown themselves in booze to continue doing so. Occasional drinks are fine; too much sets you up for falling & injuring yourself, making an @as of yourself, or compromising your liver function. I see too many entries on the local ME's report who dies of alcohol abuse.

What I would do is start with a weak diluted cup of herbal tea nightly and check the INR after a few days.
In winter time when I have a chill I've enjoyed a weak cup of lemon tissane with no difference.

I wouldn't start with a diluted cup of tea if it's a tea that I like--and if my goal is to relax and get to sleep more easily. The weak tea would taste - weak - and probably wouldn't be effective, so what's the point? I'd have the tea - consistently - every night - and adjust my warfarin dose accordingly. (If you have your own meter, you may want to test your blood every few days to see what effect, if any, the tea actually has. You may only be able to accurately tell the effect of the tea if all other dietary factors are consistent, and only if you test frequently enough to tell if the INR increase is actually because of the tea and not something else). Once your dosage and INR are under control, you can have your full strength tea and not worry about a weak, tasteless, ineffective substitute for what you actually want.

I wouldn't start with a diluted cup of tea if it's a tea that I like--and if my goal is to relax and get to sleep more easily. The weak tea would taste - weak - and probably wouldn't be effective, so what's the point? I'd have the tea - consistently - every night - and adjust my warfarin dose accordingly. (If you have your own meter, you may want to test your blood every few days to see what effect, if any, the tea actually has. You may only be able to accurately tell the effect of the tea if all other dietary factors are consistent, and only if you test frequently enough to tell if the INR increase is actually because of the tea and not something else). Once your dosage and INR are under control, you can have your full strength tea and not worry about a weak, tasteless, ineffective substitute for what you actually want.
shut your pie hole.

Warfarinking,

From what I've read herbal teas can effect INR so I'd be cautious to begin with. Some herbal tea labelling lists the ingredients and they could be checked for any known interaction with warfarin. Sometimes when I can't fall asleep I've taken gravol. If you don't need it you will get drowsy, at least I do. It doesn't interfere with INR.

Bina and Freddie

I've decided to not feed the trolls. They should be allowed to slowly starve to death for lack of attention.

Sandra

The Clevland Clinic web site lists the many herbs and supplements you should not take if you are on Coumadin. It includes Co 10 and Fish Oil,. They got to be kidding. They also say you should not take more than the RDA of vitamins A, C and E.

Fortunately I do not pay attention to any of those lists. I eat and take what I want. I have seen no effects on the INR. If I tested every dasy, maybe I would see some wiggle in my INR. I test about once aa month and the INR remains stable no matter what I ingest. I do not binge on greens but I take many times the RDA of some vitamins and supplements.

BIna and Freddie: Warfarinking said he drank the tea - I'm assuming full strength. A weak version of the tea probably wouldn't be as effective. No, Freddie - I'm not speaking from experience. I don't drink tea before bedtime, but I'm assuming that, like most things, a weak version of something that works at full strength is just a weak version - and not as effective. For example, if you take 50 mg of warfarin each week, then decide to weaken the dose by taking 5 mg, the result would be a lower INR because the weak version is less effective. This should be the same as a weak version of a tea. It's only logical to assume that a weak version of anything would be less effective than the full strength version.

And Bina, your response was very clever and not unexpected. I'll have to go look up what a 'pie hole' is supposed to be (I'm assuming it means mouth, but sounds a bit worse).

What does cinnamon tea taste like?
Is it like some of the Celestial Seasonings (Seasons?) products I can only get at Christmas??
I buy a cranberry tea here in Fort Worth TX. Cranberries have been debunked as far as INR problems are concerned.

Latest posts

Back