Beer, wine and anticoagulants

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
hi all,

Will be having my AVR soon. Mechanical since they think the damage is from radiation I had back in 71 for Hodgkins, and my surgeon said he does not want to open me up again 10 years from now. That being said, I like Micro Beers. and wine. I sometimes brew my own. Is it now over for me? No more good Belgium beer? Can you have a beer once in awhile while on thinners? I know it sounds crazy, I am by no means a big boozer, but the question needs asking.

I started homebrewing after my surgery. Drink in moderation, no binging at all. Life is much too short to drink bad beer.

Moderation is the key.....my hubby drinks a glass of beer or wine every day. On days when he feels like more than one beer, he likes Old Milwaukee NA to fill in.

E

You can drink in moderation. One or two at a time. I'm not much of a drinker so it doesn't affect me much but I had the odd one on occasion since surgery. I refrain when my inr is out of whack but then it took the docs 3 months to get me regulated. So with that I just stayed away from it. Unless my inr was low then I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Drinking of alcohol while taking anticoagulants is usually fine in moderation,
where no stomach issues or ulcers are present.
Do not binge or neglect to check your INR regularly, and you will be fine.

belgium beer

belgium beer

this question is becomming my speciality!

i have been drinking at the occidental tavern (the ox) (belgium pub) in vulcan lane since 1971when i was 19 and have not had to make substantial changes to my habits since the implanting of a on-x mitral valve in march 2008.

with the blessing of surgeon, cardiologist and family doctor, i drink 3 drinks per day. i.e. beers or half a bottle of wine. sometimes i have bourbon instead. my inr is in range 87 % of the time and i have never had any inr disasters; i understand the "average time in inr range is approx 60%". my inr out of range instances are almost certainly due to soy/green leaf asian food related matters.

since surgery, i have had a few drinking sessions where more was consumed, all without problems. back in july i had a lovely session with an old mate at the ox where i had 7 belgium dark brune beers, no sweat!

anyway, i strongly recommend you have a few of your favourite belgium beers on the way to the hospital, just in case!

good luck!

Drinking

Drinking

As others have responded, drinking alcoholic beverages hasn't presented major problems for many of us. I still drink beer, wine, and other kinds of alcoholic beverages.

Moderation is often advised and probably not a bad idea. This said, I've occasionally drank a bit more than I should've and been okay. Please don't consider this as an endorsement endulging too much.

-Philip

since surgery, i have had a few drinking sessions where more was consumed, all without problems. back in july i had a lovely session with an old mate at the ox where i had 7 belgium dark brune beers, no sweat!
Don't tell me this right before my birthday:D

We have tested the drinking levels at many of the reunions.... I always wonder what housekeeping thinks when we check out... it seems as though a variety of drinking sips/binges have been tolerated... it will just take some experimenting to find how you personally do. But giving it up should NOT have to be an option.

Latest posts

Back