Basketball?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex B

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Born bi-cuspid and had to "take it easy" most of my life, which I usually ignored :) as it seems most of us do. Anyway, I love playing basketball, and I was trying to see if others have been able to continue playing post-op. The Dr. said that it would be "risky" since I sprain my ankles easily and taking an elbow to the nose could be really bad. Anyway, any ballers out there? Advice? Would you risk it?

-Alex

Bball is way too physical these days to risk injury and post-op complications. Can't even imagine getting elbowed anywhere above the waist and below the neck. Joint injuries to the ankles and knees, common for ballers as you know, would only make worse an already delicate recovery. My surgery was in early April and I would do nothing more on a basketball court than play HORSE or just shoot around. You didn't say anything about your surgery or even mention the date, but I'd say nothing short of 6 months post-op would be worth the risk, and even then I personally would still avoid it.
Nearly 4 months removed from surgery, I'm cycling, playing golf and tennis, as well as doing aerobic workouts and some resistance training. I wouldn't consider anything involving contact. But, they can't hold me back otherwise from playing!

Take care and be smart.

good advice. My surgery is 3 days from now, but I'm wondering if I'll ever play basketball again. I know for the 6 months following post-op that I won't play but what about 1 year post op? What about disc golf, how long until you could throw a disc?

Basketball

Basketball

The downside of contact sports is that as we grow older the injury stuff takes longer to heal. Are you getting a tissue or mechanical valve. If you are going with tissue, and are lucky, you may not end-up on coumadin for the long term. (Please remember that getting a tissue valve is not an automatic guarantee that you won't have to take coumadin.) Should you not have to deal with coumadin issues, I don't know why you couldn't go back to playing basketball after you heal up. Even if you're on coumadin, I don't know why you couldn't return to playing basketball.

Issues with ankles that sprain easily can be addressed with a wide variety of ankle braces. I've got one that is unstable due to a horse riding mishap over twenty years ago. I often wear a lace-up brace or airsplint.

Even though I'm on coumadin, my cardiologist would encourage me to play basketball if I wanted to play. His philosophy is that AVR surgery is about getting back to enjoying the activities you like. I'm always bruised and beat-up from activity stuff; I'm okay with this at this point in my life.

Cycling is a passion for me this time of year. It's really not considered a contact sport, but some idiot hit me with his car last month. Needless to say, cycling instantly became a contact sport for me. Bad stuff and injuries can happen regardless of what activities you pursue. I'm back on my bikes.

Would you give-up basketball because you are prone to ankle sprains and/or could catch an elbow in the nose if you didn't need heart surgery? If your answer is,"No," why would you think about giving it up simply because you need a new heart valve?

You might find that you enjoy basketball even more after you get the new valve. Why not set a goal to return to playing basketball after your surgery and see how it goes? Goals can always be adjusted if necessary. Focus on a positive outcome.

-Philip

Last edited:
it all depends on your individual recovery. 3 months post-op I was given the green light with no restrictions. I don't play basketball but I ride horses. being thrown or getting kicked would be more serious then taking an elbow, but my doc's, surgeon and cardo both said go for it.

personally--whats the big deal about an ankle sprain? as for the elbow to the nose, a book can fall off a shelf and strike your nose just as easily. There are many more easier ways in life to get hurt then playing basketball.

Etan Thomas, formally of the WAshington Wizards came back from an aortic valve replacement to play professionally. If I were into basketball, and I did play for years so I think I can comment from a player's perspective, I wouldn't hesitate to play. I agree with the 6 month waiting period, just based on how my recovery went. I'd also recommend building up some good muscles in your upper body for extra protection, stability, strength, if you need it. Play your sport, but don't be one dimensional, which is good advice even for the non-heart surgery community.

Alex, B-Ball is absolutely no problem whatsoever. I am 10 years post-op (aortic mechanical valve - 7.5mg coumadin daily). I didn't really play post-op until I was completely pain free (4-5 months).

But since then - have played some pretty crazy rough basketball. The risks are not any greater than walking down the street.

Life is normal - Nothing has changed from pre-op activity.

you guys are awesome, appreciate the great feedback. My spirits are uplifted to say the least. I did not know about Etan Thomas, that is awesome. The last decision for me is mech vs. tissue and I have 1 more day to decide. AVR is Monday morning.

Special thanks to Hank, as you seem to operate the way I would like to post-op, and for founding these great boards.

I posted in your other thread about bball. Once your fully recovered (5 - 6 months) its a no-brainer, go for it.

Hey Alex, Good luck with your surgery on Monday, we'll all be pulling for you.

I am just over 1 year post op and feel I can do anything I want. More strength, more wind, more endurance, much tougher opponent! I'm sure you will be too in time.

Rob

B-ball should be no problem...there are pro's in b-ball (Etan), hockey, and cycling that I know of...you should be able to do anything you want post op...

Alex, B-Ball is absolutely no problem whatsoever. I am 10 years post-op (aortic mechanical valve - 7.5mg coumadin daily). I didn't really play post-op until I was completely pain free (4-5 months).

But since then - have played some pretty crazy rough basketball. The risks are not any greater than walking down the street.

Life is normal - Nothing has changed from pre-op activity.

Umm Hank, you forgot to put "Thing" back in his box. Seems to be on your shoulder.

Best of luck in a smooth recovery, Alex. As others have said, you'll be capable of basically everything. Follow your doc's advice, of course, to make sure you heal appropriately, but know that if you're smart and patient with your rehab, you can certainly work toward the goal of playing again.
Looking forward to hearing about your first games.
--Brad

thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

I just got home yesterday from my AVR. They are building not one but TWO new BASKETBALL COURTS about 1/4 mile from my house in a park. The sign says they will be complete by end of september. Funny how all this stuff works huh? At least I have some place real close I can walk to that I can work on my real basic coordination stuff before the training wheels really come off.

sounds like Karma to me also.....so now the question is how come when I got divorced Shania Twain didn't move in next door ??? Im a good guy !

Alex, welcome to the other side. My surgery was a bit over 2 years ago and I'll be 60 in about 6 weeks. I still play some basketball. The valve isn't an issue, but an old knee injury and an old back are!

I ride a road bike now instead. 100+ miles a week isn't a problem. I don't notice anything from my surgery, if you can ignor the scar down the middle of my chest!

Get better and then go work that new valve as hard as you can!

Latest posts

Back