Barbara Walters Special

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, on ET last night, they said that Elizabeth Taylor had undergone heart surgery sometime back! I didn't know that! Did any of you know that??

I don't think they mentioned what kind of surgery she had had on her heart. She looks so frail!

Also, on ET last night, they said that Elizabeth Taylor had undergone heart surgery sometime back! I didn't know that! Did any of you know that??

I don't think they mentioned what kind of surgery she had had on her heart. She looks so frail!

I read that Liz, in 2009 at age 77, had surgery to repair a leaky valve. Required something called a "MitraClip," rather than a replacement.

Too bad the network couldn't have devoted at least 2 or 3 hours to a show, but the B. Walters' one-hour take should be interesting.

I could have been part of a study at MGH that may have put a clip in my valve.. But opted out.. I don't want experiments where my heart is concerned. If I was too frail for OHS then that's another story...

I'm a member of 'Mended Hearts' and I just received this email from their site that I wanted to share with you:

This is to alert IB subscribers the special, "A Matter of Life and Death" , hosted by Barbara Walters and featuring interviews with several celebrities, is scheduled to air tonight on the ABC network at 10:00 PM Eastern Time (check local listings for actual). Also scheduled to appear on the program, in an interview with Barbara Walters, will be Dr. Kathy Magliato, a cardiothoracic surgeon, who Mended Hearts members will remember spoke on women and heart disease at the 2009 convention in Orlando. Her book, "Heart Matters" contains multiple references to Mended Hearts and what a valuable resource it is for patients. Dr. Magliato is currently president of the American Heart Association in Los Angeles.

We have been in touch with producers and have offered Mended Hearts information and a link to our Web site for patients interested in connecting with other patients, but we have no assurance this will be included.

The attention to the issue during February, American Heart Month, gives chapters an opportunity to offer local information to local media using American Heart Month materials sent to chapters last month. Local media may be particularly interested in talking about support available to local patients as a result of this welcome attention.

Thanks, and if you need us to resend the American Heart Month media materials, please let us know.

Clinton Joins Barbara Walters in "Life and Death" Special

NEW YORK - Former president Bill Clinton will be one of Barbara Walters' high powered guests on a special broadcast during February, "A Matter of Life and Death", dealing with heart disease. The special will air on ABC on Friday, February 4th at 10:00 PM (ET).

Joining Walters will be David Letterman, Regis Philbin, Robin Williams and Charlie Rose, all of whom, including Clinton, went from being in the spotlight, to being in the operating room to undergo open heart surgery. Williams calls it the "brotherhood of the cracked chest club". Walters' publicists say the group of men, who have had their hearts opened by surgeons, will open their hearts emotionally to reveal their stories of triumph over heart disease. Clinton, who had bypass surgery in 2005, was back in the operating room in 2010 after experiencing chest pain. Doctors inserted two stents into a blocked artery. Clinton said of his heart procedures, "I realized there was really no alternative, if I wanted to live, I had to do this". In the special, Walters' also explains the differences in symptoms reported by men and women having heart attacks.

Note: I wish I knew how to get hold of the producers of the special and I'd ask to have VR mentioned as a valuable link too! :)

Watched BW and her cardio as a guest on her "the View" show today.
Her cardio articulated (in lay man's terms) the effects of clogged arteries and restricted valves.
Well done, but a shame that BW is a bit of a "ding dong" regarding her health. She didn't know that her tissue valve
could ever wear out, didn't know that she had post op A-Fib, etc.
Hopefully her special won't focus on her too much and her guests are better informed. ;)

haha. ding dong....
So I guess Charlie Rose had her on his show recently and while I could not find a video, there is a written transcript of the show. I hope that whomever transcribed it was the one who made all the errors. Otherwise, if this is what Barbara is sounding like......she may have a little bit of pump head!!

Here is the link. You have to scroll down the page and look for a tab (like on a manila file folder) next to Comments.... click on TRANSCRIPT and you'll find their conversation.
http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11445#frame_top

I wish she had had other women on, too. good remark about that.

Okay, we'll critique it tomorrow, I guess!! :biggrin2:

Marguerite

I agree Bob, I hope he gets enough play time... I heard him talk after his OHS and saying that since he got his cow valve every time he sees a group of cows He says " Ohh that one looks pretty good." Haha love him...

I believe she had 'the clip' placed percutaneously.

I thought the show was useful in getting the message out: when in doubt, check it out.

Probably didn't add much to the knowledge levels of folks on here, but it may have been helpful to those not here who need to get a good cardio checkup, but haven't.

I thought the show was useful in getting the message out: when in doubt, check it out.

Probably didn't add much to the knowledge levels of folks on here, but it may have been helpful to those not here who need to get a good cardio checkup, but haven't.

Agreed. On Both Counts.

It was a good show, but I was hoping for more. The stars (except Letterman) were still very close to the vest, very "clever" and not able/willing to expand on their fears and emotions as much as I would have enjoyed. Perhaps they are all so accustomed to having things done for them that this was just another thing, and knowing they had chosen the best, they relaxed and let things unfold.

I thought it was interesting that BW remarked about how calm she felt going in the day of surgery. We have spoken of that peacefulness here so many times.

I liked that BW interviewed 4 surgeons! Those would have been interesting to have sat in on! Wonder why she didn't think of adding some of that, rather than these rehearsed post event discussions.

I thought Robin Williams was so subdued talking with BW! Odd for him; but maybe revealing about how this has affected him. And Charlie Rose. I actually was most impressed (not good or bad impressed, but, you know, forced to pay attention to his uniqueness) by his story and telling of it. So many of you, here, have had grueling experiences. There is a true stoicism that results.

Thanks again, Norma Jean and Al for letting us know that this was coming up. I may revisit the broadcast at Hulu. And I hope that there is plenty of time for area news teams to follow up on some of this; magazines to expound on the need; etc. etc..

Unfortunately, for a family in Oregon, there was never a hint. So sad that this news story broke during the day yesterday and of course was the headline just after the BW special here. A high school wrestler pinned his opponent, won the match, shook the opponents hand, turned and shook the coach's hand, turned again and collapsed. They were not able to revive him and it was determined to be hypertrophic cardiomyopathy; enlarged heart. Sudden death after athletic exertion.
http://www.katu.com/news/local/115327774.html

Marguerite

Thanks again, Norma Jean and Al for letting us know that this was coming up. I may revisit the broadcast at Hulu. And I hope that there is plenty of time for area news teams to follow up on some of this; magazines to expound on the need; etc. etc..

Unfortunately, for a family in Oregon, there was never a hint. So sad that this news story broke during the day yesterday and of course was the headline just after the BW special here. A high school wrestler pinned his opponent, won the match, shook the opponents hand, turned and shook the coach's hand, turned again and collapsed. They were not able to revive him and it was determined to be hypertrophic cardiomyopathy; enlarged heart. Sudden death after athletic exertion.
http://www.katu.com/news/local/115327774.html[/B]

Marguerite

You're welcome, Marquerite! And yes, this young man's death is such a tragedy. I can only imagine how devastated his family is!

As for the special, you know, I wasn't all that impressed. Like you, I was most struck by recount of Charlie Rose's experience!

I've been more struck and more moved by some of the experiences of our members on VR. But oh well, it was still good for a one hour show.

I haven't been able to watch the full show yet - couldn't access it on abc because not in US - but found the BW section on youtube. What I did like was being able to show my husband the procedures I'd been through so far - the angio, the stress test, the echos etc. I also liked her no-nonsense 'saw' and 'crowbar' - leaves people in no doubt about the sheer force of what they must do to get to our hearts. I'll try and find the other ones on youtube or somewhere and watch them as well. But agreed, didn't add a great deal for those who already know about our problem - but probably useful for those who need to get checked.

When BW showed with her hands how they use a "crow bar" to open the chest, she made the same noise I always make when I talk about my chest being opened.

Oh, by the way, they spoke about Charlie Rose being flown to Paris and having Alain Carpentier as his surgeon. Alain Carpentier is the surgeon who invented (if that's the right word) modern day mitral-valve-repair techniques. He is also the surgeon under whom my surgeon did his fellowship.

Nelson's link doesn't work for me (MAYBE because I'm outside the US), and the link Luana posted in Al's thread gives the "outside the US" error message here. But I posted a link that DID work for me, on Al's thread. Got it from Google. It's http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/matter-life-death-12846566 . (The show is in about 5 segments, each preceded by a short commercial, most of them 15 seconds long.)

I also found and watched the entire video of Charlie Rose's interview with BW on his show, at http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11445 .

Latest posts

Back