Back in the hospital :(

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoMammy

I posted earlier about a groin hematoma from something put in place during surgery. Well this evening my whole right leg swelled up and got tingly too. I called surgery team who sent me to the ER. I'm being readmitted to the cardiac post op ward :( Things with this recovery were going so well after a rough time 7 years ago. It's hard not to get down. I think they're planning to take me off the Coumadin until things improve. My poor daughter was very upset. It happened at bedtime.

Ahhh Ingrid it's a bumpy road! The question is not: will I have a complication but: which complication will I get? I got sent back to hospital 3x after my first OHS (less than a day each time) and 2x after my second (1-2 weeks each time).

I know it's hard not to worry, and hospital is the last place you want to be right now, but try to put a smile on your face and embrace your speed bump! :)

Sorry to hear you are back in hospital but don't worry things will settle down. I was in hospital for one whole month post- op and I understand ohow hard it is but hang in there, will be praying for you.

So sorry to hear that you are back in hospital, am sure they will sort your problem out soon and you will be back on track.
Deb x

Ingrid - Welcome to the Speed Bump Club. We are constantly trying to define new ways to bungle our recoveries yet still come out the other side able to live the life we want. My own contribution to the list of imaginative speed bumps was to have my internal digestive system so tied up from all the surgical and post op meds that a month later I had to be re-admitted to the hospital to get things moving again. That was thrilling. . .

You know the drill by now. Anything can and is likely to happen. Our job is to understand it as it is -- an inconvenience and a detour on the path back to health. Think of how little children deal with stuff like this. They may be down while they feel their worst, but soon they are once again playing and living their lives. That should be you, too.

My wife had something like your issue after a routine angiogram. It can be painful. It can be scary. But properly managed (and I have every reason to expect yours will be so managed at NMH), it is temporary.

So sorry to read about your post-op complication. Unfortunately these things do happen to some of us. After my 2nd surgery, I was hospitalized about a month post-op for a condition called Paricarditis which is fluid build-up in the sac-like membrane surrounding the heart. It was treated with drugs and I was released after about a week.

I hope you get over this condition and it is the last set back you encounter.

Get well soon!

Thanks for all the good wishes. Looks like a clot. The tech mentioned it. Haven't had the official word yet. I'm sure I'll look back at this as a minor blip.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Looks like a clot. The tech mentioned it. Haven't had the official word yet. I'm sure I'll look back at this as a minor blip.

Not very surprising. I watched my wife's from the sideline. She was in the hospital for a day or two, then sent home with meds and back to her life. Your time schedule may be adjusted for severity and/or other risk factors, but I'm confident that you will soon be home dancing with the kids.

I'm so glad this was taken seriously and you are back in good hands. It must be rough to read about all the people here that have gone thru surgery and then home in 4-5 days with no complications, and then you expect that and this happens! Your daughter will probably be the most upset of everyone.
They are very attached to Mommy and just want her back to normal! We all will be sending positive thoughts for a good recovery.

Latest posts

Back