AVR up-coming

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordan

I have a scheduled date. AVR on 12/19. My surgeon suggested a St. Jude bileaflet valve, which is what i figured because of my age (32). I've posted on here a couple of times, but lurked for most of my time. I've learned so much and gained so much confidence about my surgery because of the info and stories everyone has shared here. So, thank you all for sharing.

While I'm confident in my surgeon and know the techincal aspects of how they will do it, I'll never turn away positive thoughts and vibes. Thanks.

Hi Jordan,
I'm also scheduled for an aortic valve replacement on 12/19. They are also going to replace a large part of my ascending aorta. I'm almost twice your age - 63. I've chosen a tissue valve after originally choosing a mechanical valve. My lifestyle was a major consideration - I like to work with saws. LOL I'm hoping the tissue valve will last until the transcatheter valve surgeries are commonplace.

It seems like you've done your homework, too. It sure helps to have a positive attitude and confidence in your surgeon. I must admit that I've been suffering from anxiety, but only at bedtime - so far. I plan to call my PCP and get some mild meds to take the edge off before it gets worse.

I'll be thinking of you on the 19th and praying for a successful surgery. Take care.

Hi Jordan, I had my AVR surgery scheduled several months in advance (my choice), but I can tell you now that it's done, that the waiting was the hardest part for me. I found that learning all I could about the proceedure and then preparing for it as best I could help dispell those times where those doubts and fears crept into my head. Once I got over the intial shock (for lack of a better word) of having to go through such a serious surgery, the anxiety started to settle down the closer I got to the date and the rush of getting all the little things I wanted to get done made the time fly by. Just keep in mind this is a very common surgery these days with an excellent sucess rate and do what you're doing now when it gets a little rough - don't hesitate to lean on the good people of this forum for support who have been through it just like you will.

I'll be keeping you and Jan1948 in mind on the 19th, thinking good thoughts for sucessful surgeries and speedy recoveries.

Best, Dan

The nice thing is that I have to finish the semester before the surgery (I teach college biology). That means wrapping up lecture, grading final projects, exams, and submitting grades. So not only do I have enough to do at work to keep me detracted, but some of those things will come home with me in the evenings. I'm hoping these last two weeks of waiting don't drag on. I've read many comments about the waiting being the worst.

Good luck to you too Jan1948.

Yes I can vouch for it being the worst , I also agree where I read somewhere that the night before the procedure was rather peaceful.
I wish you both a speedy recovery and prayers will be with you as well.
Keep the positive thoughts :thumbup:
Brad

Only a couple more days until surgery. Had my pre-admin testing today and spoke briefly with my surgeon. He said it'll be a St. Jude or a Carbomedics, which he will decide once he gets in there. They seem to be only marginnally different. I think I'm as ready as I can be.

Wow 12/19 must be a lucky day. I'm scheduled with Dr. Pettersson at CC using an On-x Monday. I'm 24 and my current bovine pericardial aortic valve isn't working after 7.5 years. Good luck Jordan & Jan! I will be talking to you both soon.

I just found your post and can tell you that there is nothing to fear with the choice you are making. I have the same one myself for the past 10 years and am still ticking along. I only have one problem that has been a problem for years, weight and for the first time in a few years, with no easy access to vending machine, am starting to lose weight again and hope to get a treadmill for x-mas. I will lose what I need and keep coming here. I was happy the other day, doctor visit. He was happy for the weight loss and that the heart and valve is doing fine as well. You are in a good place for everything you need to know. I went through hell before the valve replacement. Dentist was trying to make money from me and trying to get mouth clean for surgery. It is hard to go through the troubles doctors can cause, but we are here to help you through the rough times. Keep coming in here, we are family. Hugs for today.

Wow 12/19 must be a lucky day. I'm scheduled with Dr. Pettersson at CC using an On-x Monday. I'm 24 and my current bovine pericardial aortic valve. Good luck Jordan & Jan! I will be talking to you both soon.

Best of luck to all the December 19ers. Looking forward to seeing your reports on the post-surgery forum and over on the TOOTS page!

Everything went well. They found a hole in my septum which was stitched closed. Other than that, everything went as the surgeon expected. I'm still waiting in the hospital on my INR levels to come up. I'll post more in the post-op forum. Thanks for everyone's comments and support.

Latest posts

Back