AVR/MVR surgery on Thursday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyGuy

Hello everybody,

It's LuckyGuy here with a last minute update.

I'm sorry I've been so inactive on the forums, but frankly during the long wait (2.5 months) for my surgery I've been trying to stay busy and keep the whole heart thing out of my mind.

Anyways, I'm having my surgery on July 30th at Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Lytle. He's elected to replace both valves due to damage from radiation treatment 20+ years ago for Hodgkin's Disease. He definitely suggested mechanicals because the prospects for re-operations on radiation-damaged hearts is poor. I apparently have some damage to the heart tissue itself and he believes re-operations are to be avoided in cases like this (of course, who knows what the technology will be like in 10-20 years). I mentioned On-X (thanks, everybody, for the suggestion) but he really likes to go with the tried and true St. Judes.

Thanks to everybody for your support and the tons I have learned here by reading all of your correspondence.

I'm flying to Cleveland tomorrow (my sister and dad live there) and hope to write to you 'from the other side' next weekend.

The Cleveland Clinic is the one of the best there is. Have a successful trip.

We will look for your posts from the other side. Don't hesitate to post if you feel like you want to prior, There are a lot of very supportive folks here and I know they are pulling for you too.

Rob

Latest posts

Back