AVR in 11 Days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yvonne

I can't believe it...it's almost here. Only 11 days until my catherization and then the surgery the next day. I'm still debating back and forth between which valve to choose. Everyday I have a different opinion.

I saw my cardio yesterday for a pre-op EKG. He said my current valve (which was repaired 40 years ago) will maybe last another 2 years. He said the surgery is a definite, it's a question of when. The surgeon feels I'll get the best results now (because I'm relatively healthy and have no symptoms of anything). Still, it's hard to think of getting surgery when I'm feeling so good.

I just found out I have a dental appointment (which I scheduled 6 months ago) for only a couple of days before my surgery. I'm considering canceling that. I don't want to have the antibiotics in my system in case I'm not supposed to before surgery, plus, I always have great check ups so I'm thinking postponing it for 6 weeks or so wouldn't be a big deal. OTOH, getting it out of the way now means I won't have to go back for another 6 months and hopefully I'll be doing much better recovery wise by then. Too many decisions for me to make right now!

Anyway, reading all the posts here has been really helpful and supportive.

Yvonne, you may want to check with your surgeon before you cancel that dental appt. Alot of surgeons want a clean bill of dental health from your dentist before your surgery. While I didn't have to actually have anything in hand from my dentist, they definitely questioned me about it. I would check with them about the antibiotics, I don't think they will be a problem. They are going to give you some antibiotics when they do your cath anyway.

Best of luck to you.

Kim

Yep, you need to go ahead and go to the dentist. I also think your surgeon is very wise to want to go ahead with the surgery even though you have no symptoms. Trust me, you don't want them if you can avoid it.

I belonged to another forum where I kept asking if my symptoms might start suddenly and was told "no". Well, not true in my case...some things came on slow but my SOB came on suddenly along with a constant state of A-Fib.

I think you are doing the right thing. Good Luck and I will keep you in my prayers that all goes well with you!

Mileena

I appluad your descision to get surgery sooner than later. My first surgery I had symptom free an was in the hospital 4 days. My second surgery I waited far to long and had major shortness of breath. My surgery was October 11th and I'm still in the hospital.

Yes, keep your dental appointment! My husband is a dentist and a valve repair/aneurysm repair recipient. I would be surprised if your surgeon doesn't require dental clearance before open heart surgery. You certainly don't want to get prepped for surgery.....only to be told you have dental issues that need to be resolved first. It has happened before, and you certainly don't want the emotional challenges of that scenario!

I agree with those who say keep your dental appointment. The first thing my surgeon's office wanted was dental clearance that I had no infection in my mouth. They also were firm that unless the most dire emergency, I should not see a dentist until six month after my surgery.

Taking the premedication for my dental appointment was not a problem with my surgeon. He would not have done the surgery without dental clearance. Of course, you should confirm with your doctors.

Thanks for the info about the dental clearance. My surgery is less than two weeks away and nowhere in my paperwork does it say I need dental clearance. The only thing they said I needed was blood work and an EKG, which I did this week. I'll call the office on Monday and see what they say. My dental appointment isn't until Thursday with the cath being on Monday, then the surgery on Tuesday.

Yvonne, ditto on the dentist appointment. I was required to provide written clearance from my dentist to the surgeon and had to wait a minimum of six months after to do a checkup. I actually ended up waiting for 8 months because figured the extra time wouldn't hurt. Also, if you call your dentist on Monday and explain the circumstances, they might be able to work you in very quickly. My dentist did that for me...it's worth asking.

Midge

I agree on keeping the dental appointment. I needed a dental clearance prior to surgery. I think that that most surgeons and cardios recommend waiting for a period of time (something like 6 months?) after your surgery before having dental work, maybe because of an increased risk of endocarditis (I think).

Best wishes,
John

yvonne,
Good Luck. I am almost in the same boat. No symptoms but surgery in 30 days. BTW I see you are in NY. Who is your surgeon? I will be going to Dr. Girardi and Weill Cornell.
All the best
Nick

Nick - I'm seeing Dr. Krieger at Weill Cornell. I just sent you an email. Good luck to you!

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone! It really means alot!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Yvonne, my 2nd OHS is scheduled in 2 weeks. I am like you, counting down and nervous. I was too young to remember my first OHS, so this is like my first one. I became kind of accutely symptomatic after pregnancy, although they say it's such a slow progression that you just adjust to it. My surgeon and cardiologist looked at my MRI and agree sooner is better than later. You don't want to wait too long and have your heart become damaged. They also say the healthier you are, the faster you will "bounce back"!!! Good luck and Happy New Year!

Yvonne, my 2nd OHS is scheduled in 2 weeks. I am like you, counting down and nervous. I was too young to remember my first OHS, so this is like my first one. I became kind of accutely symptomatic after pregnancy, although they say it's such a slow progression that you just adjust to it. My surgeon and cardiologist looked at my MRI and agree sooner is better than later. You don't want to wait too long and have your heart become damaged. They also say the healthier you are, the faster you will "bounce back"!!! Good luck and Happy New Year!

Thank you - Good luck and Happy New Year to you!

I had my first OHS at 9 years old. I remember vague things, but not everything. My parents remember more than I do.

I'm starting to see that the anticipation is really the hardest part.

Wishing you the very best with your upcoming surgery! I hope that you find the solace & comfort from our group as we wait here with you.

Bear in mind that for many of us, life began after OHS so the best is yet to come for you!

Godspeed!

Latest posts

Back