AVR and MAZE procedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hi All,
I'm 54 and I think my aortic valve is going to be replaced (again) next year (with a mechanical valve). I have had AF and other problems with my heart rhythm for about 25 years. As I get older it is becoming increasing difficult dealing with the AF as it can go on for weeks on end and leave me feeling really plain. *When talking to my cardiologist I raised the possibility of having the MAZE procedure done at the same time as my AVR. He was ok'ish about this, but cautioned me about the extra time required to be on the heart/lung machine and the extra risk involved as another part of my heart would need to be opened and accessed. My questions are - have other had the combined procedure and has it been successful?
Cheers.

Phil.

I had a modified MAZE when I had my MV repair since I had been in A-Fib before the surgery. It's been seven years and knock on wood, no A-Fib.

Hi Phil - I am shocked to hear your cardiologist felt "so so" about the possibility of a Maze along with AVR for you. While there is no question it requires some additional time on the heart-lung machine, an experienced surgeon and team will minimize this time. Taking advantage of the access to provide what has proven to be a very effective treatment for Afib for so many patients seems like a no brainer. Like Adrienne, I had a partial Maze. It was done during my AVR and my Afib history only extended several months prior to my surgery and related directly to my worsening valve problem. I can't say if the Maze was responsible for alleviating my Afib--it may have been the repair of my valve--but for someone who's had a long history of Afib, I can't imagine not seriously considering the option of including a Maze procedure as part of your AVR. But again, the experience of the surgeon and team with that combo should be is a critical factor in your decision.

Go for it.
I had MVR and maze at the same time, plus they closed off the atrial annex, where blood clots frequently form during afib. I've not had any afib since then, except of course, for a brief moment when they restarted my heart after the AVR 4 years later (snicker).

Hi Phil,
I had a biatrial maze procedure on 2/10/2012 along with a redo tricuspid tissue valve and a right atrium ruduction. Unfortunately, it has not been a success for me. I`m in persistant AF and its a real bum! I`m like Jeff M, my AF started when my tissue valve started to degenerate 18 months ago, so I had my AF prior to my surgery. I think with me, my percentage of it being a success was lower, due to me already having ska tissue on my right atrium fom my first OHS in 2001. Then my recent surgery, alot more work on my right atrium cutting part of the muscle away and going in a 2nd time,so I must have alot of inflammation around the right side of my heart. I may be having a cathetor ablation in 2013.

I would go for it, your within your rights to ask how many maze procedures he`s performed and success rates. The maze procedure has worked for many.

Good luck!

I had an ablation along with my AVR in 2006 ... not the same but close ... no a-fib :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies. I see my surgeon in Feb 2013 and will raise it again with him. I have been in AFib most of the week - I'm so over it and will do anything so it is no longer in my life.

Glad to hear for a lot of people the MAZE procedure has worked.

Have a great weekend.

Phil.

Latest posts

Back