AVR 7th June

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

Hi everyone,

I have been given my date to 'cross over' and am going with the change of venue - from Harefield to the Cromwell, which looks like a very posh 5* hotel :)

So apparently it wasn't a mistake and they did mean me when the cardiologist said surgery in 6 months, darn !

So, this time in 3 weeks, that's just 21 short days, I may be done or being done (GULP)

Now that is here I'm not really sure how I feel about it, those around me keep asking and they seem anxious, I don't really feel anything, as yet anyway, I'm guessing that may change as I get closer.

I think I have the advantage of those around me as I have you guys, and this forum has been a very useful and calming place with so much support, so thank you all for that.

Gerri

Am just across the waters from you and expect to have my AVR (repair or replacement) surgery soon - end June, beginning July. Best wishes, it's going to be fine. What kind of AVR are you expecting to have?

Having discussed this with my surgeon, I/we decided on a bovine tissue replacement. I didn't want to take a blood thinner, so that meant not a mechanical and my surgeon felt that the bovine was slightly stronger/tougher material so may last a little longer than a piggy valve. Although he did say that I could choose on the day, in my head I now have a picture of someone coming out with a tray with an array of valves, colours, shapes and sizes for me to choose from, I hope that do that before any pre-med or Lord knows what I might pick ;)

What have you decided on ?

Red

I am slightly ahead by date but am thinking of you. Every one finds their own and best way to manage the waiting game. Do what brings you peace and comfort ..without getting arrested. :)

Thus far am focusing on the after & getting back to real life. I'd never admit to the great nurses who are looking after me in hospital because I tease & threaten 'I'm walkin' :biggrin2: but I think for me, being in hospital mode for the past week actually different than having a date months in advance and being at home until the day arrives.

Quite a different challenge for you ( and most others) dealing with daily life, make sure all matters are properly attended to , and the odd moments when you will forget and then have it be in your face again.

Weird as it sounds, i know will likely seem more real when I am transferred and & first hint of pre-op enema. :eek2:

Helen

p.s .Look forward to the party in post-surgery ( skigirl and pellicle are in charge of refreshments )

Whoa back there Helen, what pre-op enema ?? :eek2:

And as for the post op party are we all invited ?

Gerri

SURPRISE!!!! and be thankful there is NO party for that :biggrin2: It better not be just a local thing. In fairness there is more focus on the post op poop. I plan on bringing in a piper to commemorate the ah...occasion.

Recent and past posties are always welcome. Casual dress but pellicle can certainly wear the cheerleader outfit.

Helen

p.s am a little freaked as was told this morning afib is getting worse. I said these "heartfarts" (cardiologist loved that phrase) are nothing to what i usually have when not in hospital. This better not mess up surgery timing.:mad2:

The fun really doesn't stop coming does it :smile2:

I wonder how many other 'little surprises' they have in store for me ?

And yes very grateful that there isn't a party for that one. However perhaps we could organise one for the rolling on of the 'TED stockings' - what do you think ?:wink2:

Really pleased that at last you will have your surgery Gerri. I'm sure that the Cromwell is very posh and that you will be well looked after post op. Do let us know if you any meet anyone famous when you're there….I'm not kidding you.

No idea why Helen is having a post-op enema ! Not heard of anyone having one of those after heart surgery…it must be a local thing in Ontario !

I'm so glad I'm here not there then, sorry Helen, have you been upsetting the hospital staff ???:wink2:

I'll keep an eye out for any one famous :D and let you know.

Having discussed this with my surgeon, I/we decided on a bovine tissue replacement. I didn't want to take a blood thinner, so that meant not a mechanical and my surgeon felt that the bovine was slightly stronger/tougher material so may last a little longer than a piggy valve.
Just seen this bit Gerri ! Having read up about your excellent surgeon I'm reassured by his reasons that bovine is for you. My surgeon too chose bovine but she gave no reasons why (she was most uncommunicative all the way along but she was, apparently, the best surgeon in the south London/south east UK area so I stuck with her despite that).

I did not have an enema before surgery, but there was a bit of a gathering of family and nurses to cheer me on as I was trying to avoid the dreaded Dulcolax suppository. It was deemed "The Poo Poo Dance" (kind of like a rain dance), and yes this is a true story. :biggrin2:

Long story short the dance didn't work. I couldn't go home until I did my business so I had to use the suppository. I took it the night before I was supposed to go home and I had success the next morning, just in the nick of time.

Latest posts

Back