ATS mechanical valve noise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CANI33

I did the same question before but whith the on-x valve...

I´m Cristian fron Buenos Aires, Argentina. I´m 34 years old.
I have a biscuspid aortic valve with a severe stenosis actually. I´m cardiologyst.

The noise of mechanical valves sometimes is important and it can to be a problem for me. My question is about your experience with the ATS valves. Thank you very much

I have two and they are fairly quiet. When I wasn't well a few months ago I was checked by a doctor who wasn't my normal doctor, he commented that they are the quietest mechanical valves that he had heard, I am not sure that he believed they were mechanical.

When I am in bed I can hear the clicking and have trained myself to be able to hear the two different sounds but neither is loud, one is louder than the other so presumably it will make a difference as to which position the valve is in. I am someone who is unable to sleep with a ticking clock in the room.

Mine have been in situ almost four years and I am unaware of any problems at this time.

I have an On-X Valve in the aortic position. I can hear it clicking away, it's a sound you get use to, but to anyone else it's pretty much silent.

On a rare occasion my wife and my daughter can hear it, although I have never had anyone else mention hearing it.

Rob

While some people do hear and feel theirs ticking, I'm not one of them. I can only hear mine in a totally silent room.

My husband has the ATS aortic valve and at first we could hear it when it was quiet in the house. Now we hardly ever notice it. He has had a few of the guys at work ask if his watch is ticking that loud. He just laughs and tells them its his heart.

Hi,
I have had an AVR which was replaced with a mechanical Valve, mine is quite noisey, ticking away, other people do notice it, especially if they are sat on the left side of me. Infact i was at the hospital yesterday, and the first thing the doctor said to me when he came into the room was i can hear you ticking LOL, I dont notice it now unless somebody mentions it, and if they do i answer well at least i know its working the problems start when you cant LOL.

Hi,
I have had an AVR which was replaced with a mechanical Valve, mine is quite noisey, ticking away, other people do notice it, especially if they are sat on the left side of me. Infact i was at the hospital yesterday, and the first thing the doctor said to me when he came into the room was i can hear you ticking LOL, I dont notice it now unless somebody mentions it, and if they do i answer well at least i know its working the problems start when you cant LOL.

Is that an ATS valve?

I cannot hear either of mine above the noise of my computer.

Cristian -

I have the impression that you are more concerned with Valve Noise than with Valve Performance (i.e. propensity for Clot formation, turbulence, hemolysis, and Pannus Tissue growth/impingement). I find this surprising, especially since you state that you are a Cardiologist.

I've speculated in my mind about possible reasons for concern with Valve Noise but decided it best to keep those thoughts to myself, but I am curious... :)

'AL Capshaw'

Sorry i didnt read the thread properly when i posted my reply, Im not sure what an ATS Valve is.

ATS is a Valve Manufacturer, along with Carbomedics, On-X, and St. Jude Medical, all in the USA. Sorin in Italy is another manufacturer of Mechanical Valves (and affiliated with Carbomedics if I remember correctly).

Medtronic also makes a mechanical valve: http://www.medtronic.com/your-healt...ucts/hall-easy-fit-mechanical-valve/index.htm

Carbomedics is part of the Sorin Group, Sorin is not part of Carbomedics

Here is the list of valve manufacturers I have. If any of this is incorrect or if there are any omissions or additions/updates please advise:

U.S. Heart Valve Manufacturers:

ATS – Mechanical & Biological Valves (equine). Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN www.atsmedical.com

CryoLife, Inc. – Allografts. Headquarters: Atlanta, GA www.cryolife.com

Edwards Lifesciences - Biological Valves (porcine and bovine). Headquarters: Irvine, CA www.edwards.com

Medtronics - Mechanical & Biological Valves (porcine). Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN www.medtronic.com

On-X Life Technologies, Inc. - Mechanical Valves. Headquarters: Austin, TX www.onxlti.com

Sorin Group (Carbomedics) - Mechanical and Biological Valves (bovine). Headquarters: Austin, TX www.sorin-hv.com

St. Jude - Mechanical and Biological Valves (porcine and bovine), also Alllografts. Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN www.sjm.com

Note: Biological is simply another name for “Tissue”, and Biological Valves are either Bovine (cow), Porcine (pig), or Equine (horse). There are also valves called “Homografts” or “Allografts” that are from cadavers.
Note: Mechanical heart valves today are all the “Bileaflet” design except for the Medtronic mechanical valve, which is the “Tilting Disc” design. In the past there was also the “Ball and Cage” design, but this design is no longer sold in the U.S.
Note: Some of the above also sell products for valve repair (versus valve replacement)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back