Aspirin therapy - stomach problems

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrienne

Has anyone out there who is on aspirin therapy had tummy problems from it despite taking one that is enterically coated and despite taking it at mealtime?

aspirin really screwed up my stomach. I might still have an ulcer from it, verified by an EGD. I took the ecotrin tablets and it still eventually made my stomach burn like wildfire. I took the big 325 mg ones though. I get heartburn really, really easily now.

I am taking the 81 mg dose (actually, to be exact, it is Asaphen 80 mg which is covered partly by the Quebec government; it's just aspirin).

In December my stomach started feeling funny, and finally, on my own, I went off the asprin for a week. I went back on it, but started taking Zantac for a couple of weeks, and everything seemed O.K. Then last Monday, it started again. I am thinking of calling my cardio (if I can get through to him) to see if he minds if I go off it for a longer time. Really, I seem to be low risk because not only are my arteries clear, but since my operation, I not only have not had A-fib, but my rhythm is very regular with the occasional PAC or PVC (with the exception of a racing heart almost 2 years ago which lasted about 2 minutes).

Hi Adrienne, funny you are posting this. I went to my primary care doc this week and explained to her that my digestive track is all messed up between trying eat right, add fiber to help lower my cholesterol, and I think the 81 mg aspirin was also contributing to my problems. I started with chewable post-op, switched to the enteric coated, and still continue to have issues.

I asked if she thought there was any reason I needed to be on both aspirin and coumadin. She said to check with my cardio before stopping. She also said the last thing I need is an ulcer and be on coumadin. She suggested adding pepcid or prilosec otc DAILY if I must have aspirin. She also said to check with my cardio.

I called my cardio, he has agreed to switch me to taking 81 mg every other day to see if I get improvement. If not, I am to let him know and we will decide to discontinue aspirin therapy at that time.

I have read online that even the enteric coated aspirin can cause the same problems as non-coated aspirin.

So, as of today, I start every other day and see how my digestive track settles down, if it will.

For folks adding fiber to their diet, I added too quickly and as a result, don't feel all that good. I discussed this also and my primary suggested adding no more than 5 mg every other day and building up slowly. If you add too much too soon, your digestive track can't handle it and you end up feeling worse than when you were not adding fiber.

Adrienne -

Do you also have a GastroEnterologist?

If so, I would discuss your stomach symptoms with him and have him consult with your Cardio on how to proceed.

(or maybe your Cardio will just make a judgment call on his own)

'AL Capshaw'

Yes, the enteric coated for sure. I take 325mg a day. I actually went to the doct. with chest pains, they did the light down my throat and found esophogeal ulcers, gastric erosions, GERD, hiatal hernia. I take Nexium 40mg twice a day. They also told me no Advil, Caffine etc. It can be rough, take care and I hope you feel better soon

I just had a close call at Thanksgiving, stomach ulcer bleeding badly, rec'd four units of blood that two days in ICU. I had been taking the 81 mg "baby" aspirin with my Plavix. All that's discontinued now and I'm re-starting Coumadin.

"Ch-ch-ch-changes, TURN and face the STRANGE ch-changes!!" and boy, they are strange sometimes! :rolleyes: :cool:

I just had a close call at Thanksgiving, stomach ulcer bleeding badly, rec'd four units of blood that two days in ICU. I had been taking the 81 mg "baby" aspirin with my Plavix. All that's discontinued now and I'm re-starting Coumadin.

"Ch-ch-ch-changes, TURN and face the STRANGE ch-changes!!" and boy, they are strange sometimes! :rolleyes: :cool:

It may have been the asprin, but I'm no fan of Plavix. I've seen that stuff cause more bleeding then it's worth. Heck I started coughing up blood from taking it.

I've been wonderin'
Is it possible that 'fish oil' could take the place
of aspirin???
I don't think it's officially approved ~~~and what quantity should be taken?

I know a couple of you brilliant members might have this answer!

I've been wonderin'
Is it possible that 'fish oil' could take the place
of aspirin???
I don't think it's officially approved ~~~and what quantity should be taken?

I know a couple of you brilliant members might have this answer!

I take Omega 3 capsules already, not to mention usually having one square of dark chocolate (therapeutic purposes, folks:D;)), so if I stop my Aspirin, I will still be taking natural things that act as antiplatelet agents.

To Al Capshaw: I went to a gastroenterologist a year and a half ago to have a colonoscopy. I was thinking of calling her if this doesn't get better, but I think the first thing I will do is call my cardio and see if he thinks it's O.K. to stop my Aspirin for a month or two or three.

This is an odd one. The point of the enteric coating is that it shouldn't dissolve until it gets into your small intestine and is actually meant to save you from stomach problems. Please keep us updated as I am interested to see what you find out.

I've been having this problem with aspirin, too. I was taking the 81 mg enteric-coated stuff, but I stopped a couple of months ago because I've been having stomach pains for at least a year. I wasn't sure if it was the aspirin or something else, but I feel much better now that I've stopped taking the aspirin. Didn't ask my doctor about it, though (I've just moved and haven't found a new doctor yet).

Today I feel fine, so I might wait a few days to see if it comes back.

To MikeHeim: In my google research, apparently even the enteric-coated aspirin can cause damage to the stomach. I don't understand why since it is not supposed to dissolve until it gets to the small intestine.

To nearyneary: Very interesting! I definitely will call my cardio about stopping the asprin if it continues.

If it's taken with a hot beverage (like tea), or chewed with food, the enteric coating may not be making it all the way to the end of the intestines, where it's supposed to be dissolved (instead of in the stomach). That would obviate all the benefits of the enteric coating.

The enteric coating works exceptionally well for most people. In fact, a Scottish study showed that it interfered with absorbtion so much that most people in the study were usually not even getting enough of the 81 MGs of aspirin to do any good. As a result, I take two, just to be sure. I can't vouch for the brand the Canadian government provides (made where?).

So, I wouldn't be too quick to blame the origin of these issues on 81MG enterically-coated aspirin. It may be more likely to be a factor after the fact. You want to be sure you have the right culprit to get the right fix. Some people are more sensitive to aspirin, and it's certainly not impossible, but ulcers seem to be mostly caused by bacteria, or by irritation from reflux or sometimes uncoated aspirin or other drugs.

Best wishes,

Back