Are breathing issues normal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbrown

I had a AVR on Thursday, April 16 and experiences shortness of breath doing something as simple as taking a shower. Is this normal and what could it be caused by?

Thanks,

Dan

Yes...being just over a week out of AVR, I would say that shortness of breath is very common. Even walking across the house can be a chore. Do you breathing exercises with your spirometer religiously!!!!!! Other than that, you'll gain more strength with time and be able to do things without becoming winded.

You're doing just fine...

After OHS, experiencing shortness of breadth is normal for a few weeks. That's why you need to exercise your lungs with the spirometer and walk. It'll get better over time.

I had my surgery on the 10th and have asked the same question. I guess I thought that the only reason I would experience this is if there was a problem. I can see an improvement every couple of days. I still do the spriometer too.

xoxo
Just
KathyM

I was instructed to use the Incentive Spirometer for 10 minutes every 2 hours while awake.

Like everything else, it gets better in time,
and is usually longer than we would like.

There will be good days and not-so-good days.
As long as you see progress on a week by week
basis, you are moving in the right direction.

'AL Capshaw'

Dan it will slowly improve with excercise, but it's going to be a month or two before you feel close to where you were.

Ross said:
Dan it will slowly improve with excercise, but it's going to be a month or two before you feel close to where you were.

ditto....it is way too soon to "not" be having this....it takes time....you had surgery on 4-16....11 days....give it time and don't rush your recovery....I did and wish I hadn't....some take longer than others...pace yourself...listen to your body.

I agree with others but also wanted to add a possiblilty of a pleural or pericardial effusion which could also cause shortness of breath.

Any signs of fluid in your followups?

Mike

No fluid. I had a chest xray today and it looked normal. Tomorrow I will be getting an ultrasound. I am trying to sleep now and am having problems because it is hard to catch my breath.

Dan

Breathing Issues

Breathing Issues

As others have noted, the recovery stuff takes time. It is important to monitor potential issues like fluid buildup and exercising your lungs to get rid of the fluid that built up during surgery and your hospital stay is important.

There were days following my AVR surgery that I wondered if I would ever get my lungs back. It's work, but if you keep at it things will get better.

How does your sleeping arrangement look? I found it was impossible to sleep comfortably in bed for a couple of months after my surgery. Propping myself up with pillows on the sofa helped me sleep comfortably and reduced the breathing issues I encountered when I attempted to sleep flat on my back in bed.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back