Aortic valve replaced by catherterization

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp172

I had a customer drop by today who had been having serious heart problems. I told him he looked great and he went on to tell me that 45 days ago he had his aortic valve replaced. I asked him if he had minimal invasive surgery or did he have his chest cracked.He told me that the aortic valve was replaced by inserting it in a vein in his leg. He said his hospital stay was short and he went home with a few bandaids. I have heard of this surgery but until now I have never met anyone who even knew someone that had this surgery. He told me that he was walking 1 1/2 mile a day through the woods carrying a shotgun to get back in shape. Is this surgery becoming more common?

Hope you are all doing well.:)

Did you learn what Hospital and Surgeon performed this catheter-placed AVR? (I can't remember how to spell the perc...... technical name for the procedure :)

'AL Capshaw'

How old is this person?

I presume percutaneous aortic valve replacement will become a standard in the coming 5-10 years when it will be offered to all. It had been understudy since the 70s and now it is offered to older people who cannot undergo a OHS; yet it will be offered to all - hopefully sooner rather than later.

How would they sew it into place? I have never heard of this! How wonderful things are getting less, anything for less time in the hospital.

How would they sew it into place? I have never heard of this! How wonderful things are getting less, anything for less time in the hospital.

Here is an exerpt of an article on the procedure:

The Cribier-Edwards Percutaneous valve (Edwards Lifesciences, Irvine, Cal, USA) is a bioprosthesis made of three leaflets of equine pericardium sutured to a balloon expandable stainless steel stent. After balloon predilatation of the native valve, this bioprosthesis is crimped over a balloon catheter, and advanced over a stiff guidewire through the vessels (either from the femoral vein -antegrade/transseptal approach- or the femoral artery -retrograde approach-) up to the diseased fibro-calcific native aortic valve, using regular cardiac catheterization techniques. The bioprosthesis is then released by balloon inflation at mid-part of the native valve. In our institution, the technique is performed under local anesthesia and light sedation.

You may read more at: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/30243.php

And here is another one from CC:

Percutaneous Mitral, Aortic and Pulmonic Valvotomy for Stenosis

Percutaneous valvotomy (also called valvuloplasty) is performed in many patients to treat mitral valve and pulmonic valve stenosis (narrowing of the valve). Percutaneous valvotomy may also be performed in carefully selected patients to treat stenosis of the aortic valve.

Mitral valvotomy
During mitral valvotomy, a catheter is placed through the femoral vein (in the groin) and guided into the chambers of the heart. The cardiologist then creates a tiny hole in the wall between the heart?s two upper chambers. This hole provides an opening for the cardiologist to access the left atrium with a special catheter that has a balloon at the tip.

The catheter is positioned so the balloon tip is directly inside the narrowed mitral valve. The valve opening is widened (or dilated) by rapidly inflating and deflating the balloon. Once the cardiologist has determined that the opening has been widened sufficiently, the balloon is deflated and removed.

The procedure is similar when performed in the aortic and pulmonic valves.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart...&match_type=&gclid=cnrgwdumhpocfrwpawodqd1mfq

The procedure was done in Canada. I will try to find out more details.The individual is also looking at stem cell repair. Sounds like a lot of good new stuff is coming.

and this will be even better when 10-15 years later they can replace the
leaflets via catheter.

Back