Aortic Dacron Graft Longevity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

upchurch131

Maybe a dumb question when one really doesn't have the choice, but I'll ask it anyway. All the years I've been monitored with a bicuspid aortic valve by my cardilogist, never once did he mention that aortic enlargement was also a problem. He told me that if I lived long enough, I'd most likely require a valve replacement. In mid April, he told me that time had come- but it wasn't the valve that was the biggest problem. It was the aortic enlargement. When he told me the surgeon would replace the valve while they were repairing my aorta, I was shocked. It was another issue driving the need for imminent open heart surgery. I probably didn't ask enough questions over the nine years he monitored me. I know that I will have to make a valve selection and I realize the pro's and con's of the choices. I know there are limits to the longevity of the tissue valves and mechanical are long term. But I just started looking into aorta repair. Since I haven't seen the surgeon yet, I really wondered exactly what is the life of a dacron patch? Is this a permanent fix? Has anyone been told by their sugeon that this will last a lifetime?

upchurch131

Dacron grafts and patches will live far beyond us as humans. No worries there. Yes Sir, I have part of my aorta replaced from when the aneurysm so kindly shredded it and Dr. McCarthy told me that it would outlive me.

There are a couple of recent threads dealing with BAV and Aneurism's, one entitled "aneurism" or "aneurysm" in the Heart Talk Forum with a sequel started by the same member.

I gathered that Connective Tissue Disorder(s) were long suspected as being associated with BAV and apparently there are studies that now link the two issues.

Maybe we need another Forum dealing specifically with BAV and it's associated risks, or at least a "Sticky" in the Heart Talk Forum discussing these issues and including links to relevant threads. Both BAV and Aortic Aneurisms have been the subject of several recent posts / threads. (ATTENTION ROSS).

'AL Capshaw'

I don't think there are really any dumb medical questions here...

I've had a dacron graft for nearly 29 years, but it's on my descending aorta. Prior to my valve replacement, nearly five years ago, a couple of doctors expressed what I might term as pleasant surprise that all was still doing well with that dacron graft repair--although I don't know exactly what potential problem they may have been expecting. [edit - I did go through two successful pregnancies after receiving the dacron graft and that caused some worry at the time; from what I've read since then, childbirth can exacerbate valve issues and stress, etc.]

Some, or many, bicuspid patients evidently also have, or develop, connective tissue issues. I recently read a few studies that suggested these issues may continually develop/progress, as at least some bicuspid patients age. I have spent some time worrying in regard to whether bicuspid disease may be a degenerative condition in that manner, and what the future may hold for a successful replacement such as mine, in regard to stitching; dacron grafts are also stitched in of course.

they actually do not cover but replace the damaged or weakened area of aorta with a dacron graft and others said it will outlast you. Your tissue actually grows (probably not right terminlolgy) inside and outside of it.

it is possible, although unlikely you will develop aneurysms elsewhre in your aorta and should make sure you are followed for that.

also, you may want to look into a valve sparing procedure.

Everyone's experiences have been most helpful. I sincerely appreciate all the feedback. This forum has certainly helped in releiving the terrible anxiety I have been experiencing about surgery and post surgery life.

upchurch131 said:
Everyone's experiences have been most helpful. I sincerely appreciate all the feedback. This forum has certainly helped in releiving the terrible anxiety I have been experiencing about surgery and post surgery life.
Well I though it over. You can let Dr. McCarthy fix you, then I want him on the first plane back to Ohio once your in the clear, ok? :D

Aortic Graft and AVR

Aortic Graft and AVR

Like others who have responded to your question, my aortic valve was replaced and had an aortic aneurysm repaired with a dacron conduit. I had the same questions and concerns that you expressed in your posts. These questions and concerns are very legitimate.

Again, like you, I received the same kind of assurances from the members here as well as from my surgeon and cardiologist that the dacron conduit would outlast the rest of me. I'm counting on all these experts being right.

Often, it makes life a lot simpler to replace a defectice aortic valve and do repairs on an aortic aneurysm at the same time. Why have your surgeon make two trips in to repair problems when the problems can be fixed with a simgle surgery? Some valves are available with factory installed conduits attached, other valves require that the dacron graft be attached via the sewing cuff on the valve.

Don't look at your situation as a negative thing. Have the surgeon fix everything in one trip.

-Philip

Ross said:
Well I though it over. You can let Dr. McCarthy fix you, then I want him on the first plane back to Ohio once your in the clear, ok? :D

I'll betcha he is making the BIG bucks and wouldn't leave. But you are welcome to come in to Chicago and I'll show you around!

If you'd like, you can see his new gig here:

http://nmhphysicians.photobooks.com/profile.asp?pict_id=5235&LastnameSearch=Y&Lastname=McCarthy

And a video of him in action here:

http://www.nmh.org/nmh/images/video/nmh_2_Medium.wmv

upchurch131 said:
I'll betcha he is making the BIG bucks and wouldn't leave. But you are welcome to come in to Chicago and I'll show you around!

If you'd like, you can see his new gig here:

http://nmhphysicians.photobooks.com/profile.asp?pict_id=5235&LastnameSearch=Y&Lastname=McCarthy

And a video of him in action here:

http://www.nmh.org/nmh/images/video/nmh_2_Medium.wmv
I told you this guy is good. A whole lot more people should be seeing him that what there are. He is one man that I would have confidence in bringing you back to everyone. ;)

I doubt that he rmembers me from March of 95, but I know I was one of his more complex cases, just for the fact that he came to see me on another floor because he hadn't heard how I was doing after leaving his floor. The man is so busy, it's amazing to physically meet him.

Ross,

My medical records were sent to him yesterday by the cardiologist and I should (according to his scheduler) be hearing about an appointment soon. I'll let you know what I think. I'm sincerely hoping to be one of his "routine" cases and believe that if I am forgetable, I am probably in good shape to continue the beginning of the rest of my life.

Ironically, yesterday, my wife was told she needed surgery to correct a problem in her intestinal track. I'm not sure who is going to take care of whom! I'm thinking of hiring one of those caretakers! I never realized that early 50's could be so difficult!

I have to admit, that corresponding with everybody here, reading your success stories and witnessing life saving procedures you have all endured, it has made me more comfortable with the anticipated results of my own situation. I THANK EVERYONE FOR THAT PEACE.

Latest posts

Back