Anybody heard this before- Antibiotics before a teethcleaning

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamJE

I had an appointment for a teeth cleaning today. The first since my surgery last August. They asked if I had any medical changes I mentioned my surgery.

They told me I needed to take antibiotics before I have a cleaning. I haven't taken antibiotics for anything since leaving the hospital Aug 29th of last year. Anyone else encounter this? I don't have a very high opinion of this dentist. Some time around 8-10 years ago they told me I needed root canal for teeth that didn't bother me, still don't bother me, and which I haven't had any extra dental work done for.

My surgery was August 13th of last year.

I had an appointment for a teeth cleaning today. The first since my surgery last August. They asked if I had any medical changes I mentioned my surgery.

They told me I needed to take antibiotics before I have a cleaning. I haven't taken antibiotics for anything since leaving the hospital Aug 29th of last year. Anyone else encounter this? I don't have a very high opinion of this dentist. Some time around 8-10 years ago they told me I needed root canal for teeth that didn't bother me, still don't bother me, and which I haven't had any extra dental work done for.

My surgery was August 13th of last year.

I have always pre-med before every dental appt. My cardiologist & my dentist insist on it due to the fact that I have two artificial valves & the risk of infection is greater without antibiotics.

So I think it's in your best interest to pre-med before the appt. :)

Taking antibiotics before dental work is pretty standard stuff around here. But I am curious about one thing, if you do not like your dentist why do you go to him?

If you have a valve that did not originally belong to you, antibiotics is standard.

Yep, my dentist is Great and they said they will always premedicate me now. They said that cleaning the teeth stirs up a lot of bacteria and can be dangerous.... I will Premed from now on!! Sorry you don't like your dentist!!!

My cardio, PCP, surgeon and dentist all agree I should take anitbiotics before any dental work. (Bovine Tissue Valve)

The current ADA indications are entirely vague. However, there is this from their website, referrign to a previous version:
Specific dental procedures that may potentially cause a bacteremia are not identified in the new statement. In the 2003 statement, the following procedures were identified as having a higher incidence of bacteremia: dental extractions; periodontal procedures, including surgery, subgingival placement of antiobiotic fibers/strips, scaling and root planing, probing, recall maintenance; dental implant placement and replantation of avulsed teeth; endodontic (root canal) instrumentation or surgery only beyond the apex; initial placement of orthodontic bands but not brackets; intraligamentary and intraosseous local anesthetic injections; prophylactic cleaning of teeth or implants where bleeding is anticipated.
So, cleanings: yes (supposedly not if there's not going to be bleeding, but it's too fine a hair to split), fillings: no (unless they're at/under the gum line, which most aren't).

Of course, your dentist can trump this at any time by saying he won't work in you unless you take the premeds.

Best wishes,

i just started s similar thread, i guess if could have just logged onto this one. we are using the antibiotics though, as scared as we are about everything, we most likely always will. hey you guys look at my thread, i didnt have my glasses on and didnt see this one. i better go find them.
alpha1

My husband is a dentist AND a BAV/Aneurysm repair survivor. He has always insisted on premed for his patients before and after surgery. Why gamble?

I take antibiotics before every appointment. I have been doing this for years. There does seem to be some argument as to how much to take. I just listen to my dentist & say thank you. He is easier with the drill that way.

Meds

Meds

There was a lengthy discussion concerning doing antibiotics before dental work a while back. If I remember correctly, some folks cited research that questioned the legitimacy of medicating before dental appointments.

Like many others have indicated, having people with heart valve issues doing antibiotics is standard practice. I've never suffered any ill effects from taking antibiotics before dental appointments.

-Philip

It is important to pre-medicate with an artificial heart valve.

As for the unneeded root canal, unfortunately most dentits try to do unncessary work just for the money, unless you are smarter than falling for this. I was told I needed root canal on two teeth otherwise they would cause me problems within six months:D It has been 15 years and no problems!:) luckily I have an honest dentist and I drive one hour to go to his office...his honesty is worth the time and driving.

I've taken antibiotics before dentals since 1990, when I was DXed with MVP. Last fall I forgot to take my amoxi until I was sitting in the dentist's chair. Just as they began to clean my teeth, a bell went off and I said, "Uh-oh..." My dentist considered letting me take the meds when I got home, but said no, that they'd just set me up for the first cancellation. That came 2 weeks later.
I can understand why he said no to doing the work if I agreed to take the meds when I got home. I could get distracted and stop off at the grocery or just forget to take the amoxi.

We found about about Peter's heart issue while he was having dental work done. The surgeon insisted he have completed antibiotics prior to surgery and warned us that any dental work - even cleaning required antibiotics in the future.

I have always had to take them before dental work. Back a long time ago I had to take them for 10 days prior and 10 days afterwards! Taking 4 an hour before is no bother for me.

I always had butter on my bread when I was a child (an important part of the Dairy Food Group that was regularly touted by the educational health gurus of the day). I don't have anything on toast now. The fact that people have taken premeds for years says absolutely nothing about their effectiveness.

Those folks who cited research are the American Heart Association (who sponsored the research) and the American College of Cardiologists, with the concurrence of the American Dental Association.

The research spans 50 years of prophylactic antibiotics use and its complete lack of effectiveness in preventing any endocarditis. For decades, people had any case of endocarditis ascribed to dental work, no matter how unlikely the connection, or how long ago it was done. It was an easy scapegoat, and you surely don't want to tell people their endocarditis most likely came from brushing their teeth or eating a sharp potato chip. You want to tell them it came from an event that they can control, so they'll feel safe again, and so they'll continue to brush their teeth.

Premeds may make you feel safe, but they don't make you safe. They are a disproven medical rabbit's foot.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back