Anxiety and Depression post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozmo

Hey everyone, I found the community last night and I can tell I'm going to be here a while from what I've been reading.

First off, allow me to introduce myself!

My name's Tim, I'm 26 years old, and I underwent AVR and ATAA Repair back in August at 25 years old. I'm currently six weeks out of AVR/ATAAR, and four weeks out of a drain procedure from pericarditis.

My question is mostly directed to anyone who has undergone an AVR, or any type of OHS. My question primarily being has anyone really felt a lot of anxiety or depression following an AVR? I've been told it's common, which I do not dispute. But I'm asking because I'm wondering if anyone can give me tips on how to alleviate it properly. I'm still adjusting to the lifestyle changes and I'm not even going to lie, sometimes it gets the better of me.

If anyone could provide any tips or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

PS: (I know the introduction is off-topic but seeing as I'm new here I thought I'd try to break some ice) :D

Go to your library and get this book to read.
Thriving with Heart Disease a Unique Program for you and your Family Live Happier, Healthier, Longer by Wayne M. Sotile, Ph.D. (a must read book)

http://mattoblivion.blogspot.co.uk/

This little two year old will need another open heart surgery because her valve will not grow with her body. She is my little heart sister.
http://www.northfulton.com/Articles...sub-Group-fighting-to-help-womens-hearts.html

Thank you, I've read both articles and they're quite interesting. I'll have to grab that book sometime as well. Give my regards to your little sister, she seems to be quite a tough youngin'. :)

Discuss it with your cardiologist. Be accurate and honest with your doctor and yourself about your symptoms. It's normal to feel a little down sometimes after OHS. If it happens only occasionally, you probably don't need to treat it. However, if the depression or anxiety are frequent, that's a problem and you may be referred to someone who specializes in the treament of such problems.

I'll echo what Guyswell posted. It is not uncommon to feel "what have I done". Support groups like this forum, local Mended Hearts organization, etc are good sources for info in dealing with post OHS. You don't have to go thru combat to fight PTSD, and professional help can get you over the "hump".

You have gone through a lot....a broken rib, AVR, and endocarditis!! That is a lot of trauma on your heart and body and emotions. I believe you may start feeling better and better from now on. Six weeks are enough.

If you are worrying about your heart's functioning after surgery, you may want to consider cardiac rehab. It will boost your confidence in your fixed heart's abilities to function normally again!

Concentrate on positive thoughts...surgery is over, you have a healthier heart, you are young. So, the life ahead of you will be a good-quality! I wish I had my surgery when I was 25.

A healthy recovery requires good nights' sleep, rests, balanced nutrition, and daily walks?

Get dressed every day. Go out with friends, but stay away from smoking (if you do) or drinking.

If you are more overwhelmed, share your feelings with your doctors

Hope you beat this soon, and keep us informed.

Kozmo, There is more to the potential depression after heart surgery than what the others have discussed. There is also the day-to-day "blues" that can hit at any time, seemingly for no reason. Many folks on this site have reported that although they were strong, stoic personality types before surgery, even some of the big manly men have reported breaking down in tears and not knowing why. I had it happen to me, while I was simply sitting at a traffic light about 6 or 8 weeks after surgery. There I was, crying my eyes out, for no reason known to me. Fortunately, I remembered some of the stories posted by the others, and reminded myself that it could happen to me, too, and just moved on with life. I also found myself tearing up while watching movies that, prior to surgery, would not have affected me. The amateur psychologists among us theorize that we are realizing just how close to death we have walked, and are subconsciously just crying tears of happiness that we are being given another chance to make of life what we are destined to make of it. I think this is the "occasional" depression that others have mentioned, and if it happens to you, feel comfortable in knowing that it happens to a lot of us, and it is not a sign of anything permanent. Most of us are able to accept it and work through the feelings. If it lingers too long, ask your doc for a referral to a resource (therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc.) who can help you to deal with it. Don't let it take control of you - it is your life that was saved by this surgery, and you can make the choices that will help you to live it well.

.......? I also found myself tearing up while watching movies that, prior to surgery, would not have affected me. The amateur psychologists among us theorize that we are realizing just how close to death we have walked, and are subconsciously just crying tears of happiness that we are being given another chance to make of life what we are destined to make of it. I think this is the "occasional" depression that others have mentioned, and if it happens to you, feel comfortable in knowing that it happens to a lot of us, and it is not a sign of anything permanent. Most of us are able to accept it and work through the feelings. If it lingers too long, ask your doc for a referral to a resource (therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc.) who can help you to deal with it. Don't let it take control of you - it is your life that was saved by this surgery, and you can make the choices that will help you to live it well.

Very well said, Steve ⭐

Tim,

Don't worry. I mean, don't worry about worrying. These days, it's more and more common to see someone having actual feelings and wanting to medicate them or send them to a shaman for some kind of treatment. Heck, you just had your chest opened up, your heart stopped, cut open and messed with, then put back together. Even if you discount the emotional trauma that goes along with such a major event, there are physiological and biochemical effects that are bound to mess with you mentally and emotionally. Many of us were given insulin after surgery because of the temporary increase in blood sugar caused by the stress of the ordeal. Some emotional ups and downs don't seem too out of place after that. While you're feeling sad or fearful or lonely, you do still know that this experience will lead to better things and a healthier, stronger self. You have been "wounded" far worse than some vets suffering from PTSD, so you ought to be able to mope or cry now and then. And, you're never alone. Heck, if you ever find yourself out on the Colorado front range, you're more than welcome to drop by and commiserate.

Clay - Just to be clear - I would not hesitate to recommend a person see a "shaman" for treatment if that treatment is designed to enable the patient to understand their feelings and to learn how to manage them. To the patient, the feelings are very real. To the extent that the feelings are, in fact, not real, the patient deserves the support to be able to see through the feelings and to realize what is real and what is not. I don't think it is the goal of psychological/psychiatric treatment to control the patient. Rather, I believe, the goal is to help the patient control themselves and to enable them to lead satisfying lives.

Also, I am not trying to disprove what you've said. I'm just saying that you describe one facet of the situation but there are more. The chemicals and drugs used in surgery and after can really alter our emotional landscape. Of this, there is no doubt. But even a year or more post-op, some patients still have emotional situations (good or bad) that would not have happened before the surgery, and these cannot be easily explained as effects of medication, since the meds are long out of the patient's systems.

All of this - this entire train-wreck of our emotions, is quite common and normal after open-heart surgery (or many other heart procedures). This has been documented, and I'm just trying to help others to understand that having these emotional episodes does not mean that they have been damaged in the process.

Hi Kozmo,
I don't have anything substantive to add beyond the helpful advice above or beyond pointing out that such challenges are common (which you already know).

I do want to welcome you here, though, and encourage you to keep posting questions and using the medical resources at your disposal (cardiologist, cardiac rehab, mental health options).

Being on the young side of people undergoing these experiences can add another dimension to the overall challenge so it's no surprise there are some speed bumps on your road to recovery.

Congrats on getting through those initial medical hurdles. You can work through this one, too.

Hey kozmo,

I am at a age similar to your. I have a bicuspid valve as well as SVT( my doctor predicts so cause no episode has been caught but just based on my stories). I have got my valve repaired but svt is still there. I used to suffer from panic attacks which started after a bad svt episode. I was scared to do anything. but i just tried learning what a mess i create for myself. its is all in the head. Keep yourself calm. You are fine and nothing is wrong. you are fixed now. I dont intended to say it is easy, i still have my episodes of panic but you need to firm your mind and think positive. all the best. :)

Dear Kosmo, So many kudos to you re. 35 and having to live through so much change. I am 47, female, and I find the life changes are ruff, ruff, ruff. But oddly I'm accepting my new realm. However I have a tendency to march around and be pissy. I was diagnosed Hypo Mania 3 years ago. A whole bunch of **** happened.. I had no tools to help, went to the ultimate dark place. Finally found a good therapist to work with me. Opted after 2 years not go back right away. I have limited funds even with health insurance. My copay for cardio rehab is 40 bucks per. I do this 2 times a week. So much stress. So I think to ones self about all the out comes, what is best for the people in my small world. Pretty much in a strange place. Accckkkkk

Hey everyone! Sorry about my absence, figured I'd pop my head in for an update!

4 months later I'm doing much better, I've been seeing my primary physician and I've been receiving assistance and therapy with my anxiety and depression. I've returned to work and for the most part things are semi back to normal. I just wanted to say thank you all for the words and advice you have all given me, it's very much appreciated. I'm starting to become well adjusted to the new life, although sometimes my ticker wakes me up JUST before I fall asleep! haha >.<!!

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I felt a thank you was necessary. I'll try to keep my head in here from time to time and not be a houdini :p

You all are AWESOME!!! <3

Great news! Thank you for the update.

Best wishes for continous improvements!

Thank you, Eva. and a big thank you for your kind words back in October. I did share it with my doctor, although I was quite reluctant and that's really when things started to improve. Mainly just through discussion and he prescribed me some sleeping medication and Xanax for anxiety for when things were really overwhelming.

Thank you again, Eva, and best wishes to you and yours as well. =]

Thank you, Eva. and a big thank you for your kind words back in October. I did share it with my doctor, although I was quite reluctant and that's really when things started to improve. Mainly just through discussion and he prescribed me some sleeping medication and Xanax for anxiety for when things were really overwhelming.

Thank you again, Eva, and best wishes to you and yours as well. =]

You're most welcome! I'm really happy for you.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back