Antibiotics and Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mecretired

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have an ear infection, infection of the eye and uti--went to the doctor yesterday. She gave me 2 injections--an antibiotic (don't remember the name--something beginning with an r) and kenalog. I have 10 days worth of Bactrim DS 800-160 and an eye drop Tobramycin/Dexamet (use for 48 hrs.). I am fairly sure my inr will be going up. Have any of you had experience with these drugs? When should I check my inr? Thank you. Mary

Mary -- I'm not familiar with the effects of any of these antibiotics, but in my experience with most antibiotics, they DO change your INR. In most cases, the changes are fairly rapid.

You might want to talk to your doctor (who should have been aware that you take warfarin, and considered the possible effects of the medications on your INR). Perhaps these medications - or the route of administration (eyedrops) minimize effects on INR. Perhaps the effect of the injection wears off quickly, so your INR will bounce back in a day or two. In this case, perhaps a test today would give you a snapshot of where your INR is TODAY, but any dosage correction you may make today will have no impact as a response to your temporary changes as a result of the antibiotic.

It may be best to mention your concerns to your doctor. Any changes you make now may be too late to have any effect, and may throw your current INR out of range.

It'll be interesting to hear how this plays out.

I know all about bactrim .and clindamycin . .and cipro . .. and macrobid .. your INR will absolutely go up and rather quickly. Protime's suggests are good. Get a baseline today. I would also check in about 3 days to see where you are --you will likely need to reduce your warfarin dosage--and have some spinach salad.

Feel better soon!

UPDATE:
Incidentally, I put your drugs in the checker I provided for you, and it says that there is an “serious” interaction of increasing effects of warfarin when on Bactrim. Kenalog is supposed to decrease the effects of warfarin in a “significant” way. Tobramycin is supposed to “increase the effects of warfarin in a “significant” way. You may want to talk to your doctor about that right away, and your INR clinic. For Skyler, they switched him to Enoxaparin for the duration of his antibiotics this time (a 12 hour self-administered injectable).

-----------
I don’t know what your first antibiotic if… Rifampin?

In any case, we find that INR generally incerease a little bit when Skyler is on oral antibiotics, but one of the IV antibiotics he’s on now practically nullifies the effct of warfarin. I doubt that the eye drops will have much of an effect since they shouldn’t get in your blood stream, but you never know. One thing you can check is to google a “drug interaction” web page where you can put in all your meds and see the possible interactions. In my experience, however, the effects posted are usually much higher than the doctors or effects seem to be, so don’t panic too much if it comes up “extreme”. Just call your doctor.

Do you self-test/dose? If so, and if you are concerned, you can take an INR in about 3 days time. This is when the full effect should be seen at the earliest. We find that the changes really aren’t as much as one would expect. I typical antibiotics (amoxicillin), Skyler’s INR typically goes up between 0.4-1.4 over 10 days. This means that periodically his INR might hit 4.0. His clinic says “big deal”, and they don’t really want to know about it unless it hits >5.0. So we simply adjust his warfarin dose a smidge for one day, and it’s usually back to normal by the time we test in another 3-4 days.

In fact, his clinic suggests that INR can change when on oral antibiotics and not to bother testing during that time because it will just worry you unnecessarily. Go figure. Personally, I’d rather test at day 4-5 after starting antibiotics and know if the change is significant or not, and to do a minor adjustment if they are until the antibiotics are over.

But then, we’ve been self monitoring and dosing for 12 years so it’s simply normal… Since we know very well how warfarin doses affect Skyler, we don’t mind playing with trying to maintain INR on the lower end of the range (2.5) rather than the higher end (3.5).

---------------

I've been self testing and self-dosing for nearly 3 years -- I wish I had been able to do it for my 20 years post-op.

I've found that the INR effects of antibiotics happen fairly quickly -- I've seen changes in a day or so.

The 'so what' comment is right on target. If your (or Skyler's) INR goes into the 4 or 5 range, it's just an invitation to be a bit more careful in your activities. (Back when I wasn't self-testing, my doctor got a 7.1, or something, and I just stopped the warfarin for a day or two). If the INR goes too low, briefly, this isn't necessarily a death sentence or an urgent call for bridging.

In summary, for the most part, the fluctuations caused by antibiotics may possibly push you to the end of the ranges - or beyond - but are probably not life threatening if you're just a bit careful.

Thanks to all for the advice. I just checked my INR and it is 2.8 (range of 2.5-3.5). So far, so good. The 2.8 gives me some room to go up. Since I will be on the Bactrim for 10 days, I will probably check INR again early next week?? I think the injection I got was Rocephin.

Sounds gerat. I would try again on Monday at about the same time and see how it compares. Then, based on your dose and how much it changed, determine what you think a good tweak would be. Personally, if I was still within range, I wouldn't worry.

One other thing you might want to ask about is taking something like "friendly Flora" to help the normal flora in your gut that normally produce alot of the vitamin K2, that all the antibiotics are probably wiping out. My GUESS PART of the reasons some antibiotics raise INR, is because the normal flora is dereased there isnt as much vit K to keep the INR in your normal "balance' for lack of a better descrption.
That MIGHT keep a fair amount of the good Vit k2 producing bacteria in you while you are still taking the antibiotic and possible take less time to catch up on the proper amount after you are done all the anitbiotics.
Now this might not make any difference at all, but it might help keep the INR a little more stable for you along with preveenting yeast infections, which is what we take it for when Justin is on antibiotics. He's not on Coumadin, but some antibiotics bother his stomache and that seems to help, so if he was on Coumadin I'd probably ask about that too

As others have mentioned above, most antibiotics increase INR levels pretty quick. Make sure you don't change the amount of warfarin you take based on an INR reading after antibiotics unless you either home test or have weekly check ups. I've read and consulted with many doctors and antibiotics have rapid effects on INR and this also includes when you stop taking them. So if you lower your warfarin levels to balance out the effects on antibiotics make sure you get another INR check within a week. Although this may sound obvious I am told many people fall into this trap and can end up having an out of range INR for a month-6 weeks because they didn't re adjust their warfarin levels/ get checked during/ after antibiotic administration.

I have an ear infection, infection of the eye and uti--went to the doctor yesterday. She gave me 2 injections--an antibiotic (don't remember the name--something beginning with an r) and kenalog. I have 10 days worth of Bactrim DS 800-160 and an eye drop Tobramycin/Dexamet (use for 48 hrs.). I am fairly sure my inr will be going up. Have any of you had experience with these drugs? When should I check my inr? Thank you. Mary

FWIW: Bactrim's generic name is co-trimoxazole -- a combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole.
Any drug whose generic name ends in -azole will increase the INR. Metronidazole (Flagyl) is a frequently prescribed one. A lot of antifungal drug names end in -azole: ketaconazole, itraconazole, miconazole, etc. These are often prescribed for topical use for fungus (such as ringworm or athletes' foot).
So ... always ask what the generic name is and just remember that if you have to take a drug ending in -azole, both your doctor and the pharmacist should warn you of its effects on your INR.
If you have to take it, you have to take it. Just be prepared to test before starting and 3 days afterwards. And make dosage adjustments as needed.

Just checked my INR--3.3 :) I tried to counterbalance the antibiotics with extra veggies--must be working. Will just have to continue to do this for another week. Yes, I do, finally feel better. I have stocked up on yogurt, too. Thanks, again. When I have a question or problem, this is the first place I think of going. I'm not at all sure that I would get the right info from my doctor's office. For those who were asking--I lab test once a month or so and self test weekly in between. The lab tests are completely paid by my ins, but they will not cover the self testing--so I just do that on my own. My cardiologist is completely fine with it. I think the coumadin clinic just pretends they don't know I self test in between. So far, I haven't had to make any dosage changes--I guess I would call them in that case. The peace of mind from weekly testing--and not having to depend on someone else--is just amazing. Mary

Back