another way of giving back

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcia58

For those of us who had transfusions in connection with our OHS, I've found an interesting way to give back, if, for whatever reason, you can't donate. Volunteer in registration or the canteen. But don't just volunteer--ask if they've ever met someone who's had a transfusion. Most people say they haven't. I smile and say, "You have now. Thank you!" Sometimes, you can see a change in their eyes as what they're doing becomes real to them, and they "get it" that they are making a real difference in someone's life.

I'm working registration at a blood drive tomorrow.

What a great idea! We're very thankful for the many people who donated the blood that Gabe has received.

Marcia, what a great idea. Once in a while I see people wearing their blood donor give-away t-shirts (at dog class, or at the gym), and if the opportunity presents itself, I always say thank you, for myself and for my late sister (who got lord knows how many transfustions with her leukemia). People are always shocked when I say thank you! Then they grin.

I think I'll go all out tomorrow, and take one of my favorite pix with me--me on Easter Sunday, sitting on a loveseat, surrounded by my 5 grandkids. They're all too young to understand, but if they did, they'd say "thank you" too.

Just prior to my first open heart surgery 45 years ago, a blood drive was held to secure an adequate supply for my operation. It was done at my father's place of employment, a paper mill. I'm not sure if this type of thing is done for a specific recipient anymore. My dad had me write out a note thanking all those who donated blood for my upcoming surgery. He posted it above the timeclock at the mill. Shortly after that, my handwritten note was reproduced in the local newspaper, along with an article about me. I still have a copy of it. My teacher cut out a big red heart out of construction paper, put that photo & article in the middle, & put it on the classroom's bulletin board. Fond memories..
Since I am unable to donate due to having had hepatitis, I think I will consider "giving back" some other way at the Red Cross.

Latest posts

Back