Another Question: Future Aneurysms?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I can tell you. My father had BVD. He never had a heart aneurysm but he had a brain aneurysm and then15 years later, a AAA. He died on table from ruptured AAA. I have BVD and had the Ross in 97 and AVR and aneurysm repair in 08. My mom was just this week diag.with ascending aortic aneurysm, age 74 w COPD. I think if you have had them elsewhere and were born with BVD, your arteries are prone to bulge and become aneurysms in other areas. Just my thoughts.

Here's what I can tell you. My father had BVD. He never had a heart aneurysm but he had a brain aneurysm and then15 years later, a AAA. He died on table from ruptured AAA. I have BVD and had the Ross in 97 and AVR and aneurysm repair in 08. My mom was just this week diag.with ascending aortic aneurysm, age 74 w COPD. I think if you have had them elsewhere and were born with BVD, your arteries are prone to bulge and become aneurysms in other areas. Just my thoughts.

All reading have to realize in 97' they did not secure the root when doing the ROSS. They now have have improved on this surgery. I am not disagreeing with your comments as Biscuspid valves arteries are supposed to be not as strong.

but my question would be when CT SCANS are done it would make sense that all othr arteries would be inlarged

I heard that some patients with BVD also have weaker tissue. My Ross in 1998 was done with some dacron reinforcing, but obviously not enough. I had to go back in 2005 to fix an ascending aneurysm and I just hope and pray that this will be it!

Sure its possible. My dad and me both are bvd's. He had a brain aneurysm, then 13 years later developed a AAA. The AAA ruptured and he passed away in '90 at age 60. I had Ross procedure in 97 for BVD and last August (08) had st jude's put in and repair of 7.0 ascending aortic aneurysm. I am 46. My mom, age 74 just diagnosed last week with ascending 4.7 . Sorry, not what you wanted to hear is it?

My doc was not in favor of a Dacron rap. My AA was 4.3cm and replaced. Ask if the rap will help prevent disection as well as aneurysms.

To my mind, the KEY for a BAV patient is to find a Surgeon with the Knowledge and Skill to Recognize signs of Connective Tissue Disorder in the Aorta and have the experience and skill to repair / replace it if needed once he 'gets in there'.

'AL Capshaw'

From what I've been told my ascending aorta and descending aorta look good and the root is the only part with real dilation/aneurysm. Is it possible that later down the road that with BAV and aortic root aneurysm now that I might develop aneurysms in the acending and descending aorta?
Yes it is. My cardiologist is at present concerned about my bp and has requested I test it 3 days a week. At my last appointment I was told high bp could cause an aneurysm.

I am not convinced one way or the other in regards to chances of future aneurysms.

My recommendation, get a baseline ct scan after recovery and then periodically thereafter (3-5 years?)

Regarding the wrap, are words being misused. If not, my understanding is that it was not working and they then began replacing. My guess is the aorta is still under wrap can still dissect and blood can travel down aorta in between the walls of aorta.

Mike

Latest posts

Back