Another Question: Future Aneurysms?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

From what I've been told my ascending aorta and descending aorta look good and the root is the only part with real dilation/aneurysm. Is it possible that later down the road that with BAV and aortic root aneurysm now that I might develop aneurysms in the acending and descending aorta? Are there statistics on the percentage of folks who develop future aneurysms?

Thanks again to everyone who is being patient with my questions!

:)

Those would be Good Questions to ask your Cardiologist *and* Surgeon. Hopefully they have (or know where to find) some statistics on later development of aneurisms.

'AL Capshaw'

I sure hope not, but I will ask my doctor when I go for my yearly check up! Good question! Lets just pray not!

Future Aneurysms?

Future Aneurysms?

From what I've read, for those who develop aneurysms due to connective tissue issues, there is a chance of future aneurysms developing. Connective tissue problems are sometimes associated with congenital valve defects.

As was suggested in an earlier response to your post, if you have concerns, your best course is to visit with your cardiologist. Since cardio docs tend to want to do some kind of regular checkups on those of us who've had valve replacement surery, monitoring for the development of future aneurysms shouldn't be a major problem. Visit with your cardio doc.

-Philip

I am in the same boat. My surgeon intends to do a reduction with a dacron wrap. This proceedure is showing good results when done by a skilled surgeon. The oher option is a replacement that carries a significantly higher surgeical risk.

Stats

Stats

I don't know about the statistics involving level of risk for future aneurysm issues. I do know what my surgeon told me he expected to find when he dealt with my 5.8 cm aortic aneurysm. He told me what the aortic tissue would look like. He was dead on with his prediction.

Future issues with aneurysms...yes, I sometimes worry about the possibility that something will develop beyond where my aortic graft ends. I question my cardiologist about this potential issue every six months when I go in for a monitoring visit. So far, nothing bad has shown-up.

I think it's normal to be concerned with potential future issues when you go through OHS. Self advocating and asking questions when dealing with the folks we rely on for health care is a good thing. Visit with your cardiologist and surgeon.

-Philip

Philip
Good advice. After surgery I plan to have an echo evry 6 month to a year just to check. Atleast we will know and there should be a way to deal with it. 10s of thousands walk around with them and necer know until it is to late.

surgery

surgery

I was told that most anurysm occur @ the root and it would not be common
to see the aortic artery have a anurysm further afger the repair. But I was informed that doctors have found the BICUSPID patients have weaker arteries
around the heart then normal patients

Mike the key word that should go in there is some. There is still a lot of debate on this question. Research I was reading in the late 90s was saying that an ascending aorta in people with BAV should be replace not wrapped and srunk. How ever later research is showing that this repair holds up good even in BAV if the ascending aorta is 5 cm or less. When this is done the surgeon examaines the aorta fo thickness and makes the decion to wrap or replace if there appears to be connective tissue problems.

Hi,

I don't know anything about the statistics but I'll tell you what happened to me. I had an ascending aortic aneurysm repaired at the same time I had my valve replacement back in 1999. It never occurred to me that I might get another aneurysm but because of my BAV I pushed my cardio to do a CT scan last year. I'm glad I did because the CT found another aneurysm in the ascending aorta that measured 4.5 cm. It also found aneurysms in the braciocephalic artery as well as the origin of the left common carotid artery. I'm now having annual CTs to keep track of them.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Michelle

Michelle
You sure know how to throw a wet blanket on all my positive thinking.:D

Just like the rest of life there are no guarentees. We take the cards we are delt and play them as best we can. I know I intend to have regular echos and cts.

OOOOHHHH NOOOOO!!!!!! I didn't mean to be a wet blanket! Sorry! :eek: Yup, there are plenty of reasons to be positive and grateful. I mean, how wonderful is it that we live in an age when aneurysms can actually be discovered and repaired? And let's not forget you have to be grateful for a place like VR.com where you can get valuable information and share experiences.

Take care!

Cheers,
Michelle

You bet! I believe my dad had the same problem but back in 79 and living in a the backwoods he didn't know until it ended his life. I haven't had my surgery yet but glad to know and have a chance at a new lease on life. From what I have seen on the forum and in research your case is more of an exception than the rule.
Has your Dr. said if he thinks your problem can be addressed with the cath stent?

From what I've been told my ascending aorta and descending aorta look good and the root is the only part with real dilation/aneurysm. Is it possible that later down the road that with BAV and aortic root aneurysm now that I might develop aneurysms in the acending and descending aorta? Are there statistics on the percentage of folks who develop future aneurysms?

Thanks again to everyone who is being patient with my questions!

:)

I just had an echo done, and my Doc told me I have a "bulge" at my aortic root. It's 4.0 cm He will do a CT scan in Nov and has strated me on a new med. I'll wait and see. He did say if it ever hit 5.0 cm he would talk to me about what should be done. Doctor's, ya gotta love them!

You bet! I believe my dad had the same problem but back in 79 and living in a the backwoods he didn't know until it ended his life. I haven't had my surgery yet but glad to know and have a chance at a new lease on life. From what I have seen on the forum and in research your case is more of an exception than the rule.
Has your Dr. said if he thinks your problem can be addressed with the cath stent?

Hi ya,

I'm so sorry to hear about your father but it is good that you know and, as you said, can get a new lease on life.

Right now the doctor is in the "watch and wait" mode...no discussion yet of any possible treatment.

This may sound crazy, but even though things are stable at the moment and I haven't reached the "magic number" when surgery is indicated, I wish they would go ahead and FIX IT ALREADY! I know the risk of dissection at 4.5 isn't great, but I'm not sure what the logic is for waiting.

Take care.

Cheers,
Michelle

surgery

surgery

Mike the key word that should go in there is some. There is still a lot of debate on this question. Research I was reading in the late 90s was saying that an ascending aorta in people with BAV should be replace not wrapped and srunk. How ever later research is showing that this repair holds up good even in BAV if the ascending aorta is 5 cm or less. When this is done the surgeon examaines the aorta fo thickness and makes the decion to wrap or replace if there appears to be connective tissue problems.

I was informed that wrapping was no longer a good option.
that it did not hold

Like I said there is still debate on the question. However, the research I have seen shows it to be a good conservative otion that works even BAV. The aorta is examined and if there is evidence od conective tissue disease then it is replaced. The surgeon I am using was trained by one of the best in CTD and is in many research articles on this subject. I trust his judgement. There are no guraentees.
On another note and I bet many of you have had this experienced. I am looking forward to my life after surgery. I now see every day as a presious gift.

Did you have any dilation befor the AVR?

If your talking to me, the answer is no. The lastest echo showed the aortic root bulging as he refered to it. I asked my PCP to explain what it was the heart Doc was saying, fact is if it gets to around 5.ocm they will have to take care of it. He did say that it may never happen. Am I confused, yes!!!

Latest posts

Back