Another new member

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don6170

I am so glad to have found this forum. It has been enlightening to read about others with a similar history (Hodgkins with radiation therapy in mid-70s).

I had my first heart issue in the mid-80s with a brief bout of pericarditis. I had a stent in ’96, then nothing until a few years ago when I was diagnosed with AS. I have had three more stents since then.

A check up in November showed the valve area had decreased to 1.0. The pressure difference (?) was 60 or 80. I think ideally, it should be zero.

In December, I had third degree heart block and am now a proud owner of a dual chamber pacemaker. (I was pretty naive about it. When the doctor in the ER told me what I had and that I would need a pacemaker, I said “you mean sometime soon ?”. He said, yes, in about an hour!)

The surgeon confirmed that because of the history with radiation, decrease in valve area and continued symptoms, things will probably continue to get worse and I should go ahead schedule replacement surgery (with a mechanical valve). I have a couple more tests before setting a date, but it will probably be near the end of March.

I still have much to learn (taking warfarin, pre and post surgery expectations, etc), but wanted to say thanks for others that have taken the time to share their experiences and offer valuable advice/insights .

Don,

I would offer my welcome along with the others to this forum. It helps to find a group of people who have had similar experiences. I am still in the waiting room, but I have gained strength and confidence from this group.

Good fortune to you.

Hi and welcome aboard

I still have much to learn (taking warfarin, pre and post surgery expectations, etc), but wanted to say thanks for others that have taken the time to share their experiences and offer valuable advice/insights .

There are a few members here with long term experience in handling their own warfarin dosing and outcomes (destiny?). Essentially (compared to years ago) its much easier to monitor your dose and keep on track. The outcomes are in the main very good.

Its not really too much to learn and any questions asked over in the anti-coagulation forum are usually well answered.

Bottom line is: its really not difficult, don't sweat the details and you'll be fine :)

Best Wishes

Hi, Don!

Your doc's comment about timing of your pacemaker implant sounds like my reaction when I was told I might need a pacer. The doc said "We can continue trying to get your rhythm under control, which may or may not work, and may take quite a while, or we can give you a pacemaker." My response was "What are you waiting for?"

I've been The Energizer Bunny for just over 3 years now, and other than a couple of tweaks, it has been just another non-issue.

Latest posts

Back