Anemia and Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff Man

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hey guys, been feeling like crap and cognitively... challenged... for the last week or so and I just happened to get a blood test for Iron that showed total iron of 57mcg/dl and iron saturation of 15.7%. Normal ranges are 65-150 for total iron, and above 20% for Iron Saturation

My PCP sent me a stool sample card in the mail along with the results and that's how I found out.

Considering I have a history of stomach ulcers, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with continuing my ACT right now. It's creeping me out. Those with mechanical valves would really need to continue ACT, but since I don't have one yet, it's not as if I'm going to have a stroke if I'm not "compliant".

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the situation :confused2:

I think I would discuss it with your various doctors to see if the risks out weigh the benefits. Have you had any testing done to figure out why your are anemic? If there isn't a bleed somewhere,and your body is either not making enough blood or destroying your cells, coumadin shouldn't be making it worse. Since you will most likely need a valve replacement in the future, I'd really want to figure out why your counts are so low and how they can "fix' the problem now, incase it makes a difference in what kind of valve you may want when that time comes.

I agree with drivetopless.
You need to find out why you're anemic -- and be on a remedy that will get you back on track.
I have had anemia once or twice. Nothing major. I don't even remember what was done to get me back on track.

Latest posts

Back