Alsosalt

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris N

Happy to be here.
Supporting Member
Bought some Heinz ketchup recently - no salt added. Turns out it contains Alsosalt. Ahh, I can eat McDonald fries again with ketchup and only get one hefty dose of salt. :biggrin2:

For those on low sodium diet you might want to check this out: www.alsosalt.com

From Cleveland Clinic concerning salt substitutes:

Salt substitutes are not a healthful option for everyone. Many salt substitutes contain potassium chloride in place of sodium chloride. Potassium consumed in excess may be harmful for some people. For example, many persons with kidney problems are unable to rid their bodies of excessive potassium, which could result in a deadly situation. If you have kidney problems or are on medication for your heart, kidneys or liver, it is best to check with your physician before using salt substitutes in place of sodium.
Otherwise a salt substitute containing potassium chloride is an acceptable alternative in moderation, if you do not have kidney problems and have checked with your physician to be sure it will not interact with any of your medications.

Some salt substitutes that are labeled "lite" or "low sodium" salt still contain sodium just less than amounts than actual table salt. These products often contain a mix of sodium chloride and potassium chloride. If a product is labeled "sodium free" then the main ingredient is potassium chloride with no sodium

I just looked at the site and I will try that in the near future. Something with no bitter aftertaste is better for some to have a low salt intake. Thanks for sharing.

There is no sodium chloride in the product.[/QUOTE]

You missed my point, guess I should have explained further. It's the amount of potassium that the product has which can be dangerous for heart patients. Last year one day I got a call from our PCP's nurse saying the doctor wanted him to come right away for an EKG because the blood work he had a few day previously had shown him having a high potassium count (boarderline) and it could lead to another heart attack.

Thanks, noone in our family is on a low salt diet, but we've used "Salt Sense" since Justin started to eat food because I thought it would be easier for him not to get used to as much salt growing up. It still is salt, but lower in sodium

the alsosalt looks pretty interesting (as long as you don't have to watch your postasium)
If you want to try it, I saw on their site you can get some free samples http://www.alsosalt.com/packets.html
Send a self addressed stamped envelope to AlsoSalt, PO Box 953, Maple Valley, WA 98038 and we’ll mail you a few sample packets of the original variety.

That's why I mentioned the caution. I realize that potassium is definitely the issue... caution is necessary. But, for people who are really trying to deal with sodium, in its various forms, this may be really helpful.

Ome betablockers also say to avoid salt substitutes. I've bought all the different Mrs. Dash flavors and I've gotten used to not having salt. I tries the lower sodium lays potato chips and felt like I ate a mouth full of salt. Also I had a salami sandwich at my moms and it was unbearable. Eventually you get used to the low sodium diet.

We converted over to no-salt, and my potassium did get in the red. So we ended up just using the light salt to split the difference. They key to a healthy diet is to train yourself to enjoy your foods with less salt flavor, and make it a rule to never add salt to food when you sit down to eat. Most restaurant food is already over the limit.

I think the salt epidemic we have in our country is why physicians prescribe maintenance diuretics so much; they know most people will not be able to stay under the line

I would like to try this new product though.

Latest posts

Back