Air hunger

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gustaf

After my recent non-invasive surgery I have experienced a few occasions of what I call "air hunger". I have had this earlier as well, but milder and less often.

It is not shortness of breath, in fact, physical activity is the best way to end it, together with some light food. It is rather that it feels like I am breathing "thin air" and need to breathe deep to get enough oxygen. I also yawn frequently and feel heavy in the head.

It might be some form of hypoglycemia, but I lack other typical symptoms.

Anyone else with something similar, and /or with thoughts about if it can be heart-related?

::gustaf

You may want to check your Oxygen levels with one of those "finger Oxygen meters" that clip over the end of a finger.

I have been "air hungry" often lately. At first I thought it was a symptom of my BAV (could well be..?) but I wouldn't exactly call it shortness of breath. It's exactly how you described it. Almost like I can't satisfy my lungs with a nice deep breath and yawning is sometimes the only way to get enough air in.

My cardiologist says it could be that I'm becoming symptomatic. I dunno, though. It seems to come with stress. Some days when I'm relaxed and have a normal work day, I breathe completely normally and have no problems. Other days (if I have a stressful work load, or if I'm thinking a lot about my upcoming surgery) it becomes quite bothersome.

??? I'd also be interested in knowing if anyone has any more knowledge on the subject.

I have had this quite a bit also. It happens often when I am in a situation similar to my being out-of-breath when my heart valve had given out. I HAVE had the meter on my finger during some of these events and I am told that, if anything, I am hyperventilating (that is, getting too much oxygen). (Previously, I wrote about a presumed asthma attack in April describing these type of symptoms.) In my case, it seems to be somewhat "emotional" and, I am thinking, it is a throw back to my terrifying days just before my OHS. Still, it feels so real. I would like to hear more from others about this air hunger. :confused:

I know exactly what you're talking about. After my surgery I went to cardiac rehab. I got to the point where I was getting a pretty good workout - but the first 10-15 minutes I suffered from air hunger. My oxygen level was just fine but it felt like I couldn't inflate my lungs big enough. I was still using the spirometer - in fact I got a bigger one to help increase my lung capacity even more. At the same time I was going through some after OHS depression. So, two things really helped. I had a prescription for anti-anxiety med - that really helped with the air hunger. Mini panic attack I guess. The other thing that helped was to ride it out for 10-15 minutes. Seems like it took that long for the lungs to relax enough to inflate better.

That was my experience, you certainly might want to check with your dr - make sure there's nothing serious going on.

There is a name for it. Nancy told me about it because I suffered it after my AVR and was still on the vent when it occured. Sats at the time were 92%, yet I didn't feel like I was getting any oxygen. Can't remember what it's called, but it's very real.

Oh my - I've totally had this lately, and really couldn't figure out how to describe it - but "air hunger" sounds right on, like I just can't get enough air in my lungs, and I just try to do deep breathing to make it go away.
One night I started to get panicky, though, which I think made it worse.

I'm going for a treadmill test today (ugh) so maybe I'll mention it to the cardio and see what he thinks.

Melissa

I get this most everyday. It is most annoying, and like Ross I am tethered to my machine or portable bottles. I however have a different reason for this & my stats on average everyday is 82-84%. I am always tired, and get headaches. I am considering an operation that might get it a couple of points higher. Of course when they are in there they want to replace the valve that is now 32 yrs. old.

I sometimes get the same thing, but after doing searches on the Internet, I have come to realize that I probably get hyperventilation syndrome. Here is a link which describes it:

http://www.changingspots.net/files/Hyperventilation_syndrome.doc

I tend to think that this is very close to what I experience. One peculiar thing for me, is that it seems to occur mostly just before I get infections, so somehow related to the immune system. After my latest surgeries, I have had several infections (MRSA-like, but not the worst sort) in the wound but also in the respiratory passages. I have had this each time the infection has come back with a new turn.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback.

After my recent non-invasive surgery I have experienced a few occasions of what I call "air hunger". I have had this earlier as well, but milder and less often.

It is not shortness of breath, in fact, physical activity is the best way to end it, together with some light food. It is rather that it feels like I am breathing "thin air" and need to breathe deep to get enough oxygen. I also yawn frequently and feel heavy in the head.

It might be some form of hypoglycemia, but I lack other typical symptoms.

Anyone else with something similar, and /or with thoughts about if it can be heart-related?

I know this is a real old post. But I am wondering if someone here is experiencing this problem. This is exactly what i am going through for the past day. Do you think it can be heart-related or ???

Nelson, are you having any other symptoms??

Eva,

No symptoms. It might be stress. I do feel a little better.I do have an appointment with my cardiologist next month and echo this month. I will mention this to her.
Thank you very much, Eva. :smile2:

PS: Glad you are feeling better. :thumbup:

Latest posts

Back