After your surgery, what are some of the things that you found out that surprised you

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is 4.5 months post surgery and I am surprised how slowly recovery is taking. I know I'm making progress, just impatient I guess. Also, I thought I would be "good as new" after surgery. Not so fast. Just found out I can't shovel snow this winter. Not because of the workload, because of the cold (it constricts blood vessels.) I still get tired easily and need to take occasional deep breaths. Doc says this is normal because it takes a long time for lungs to re-inflate. I always considered myself to be in pretty good shape in terms of weight, activity, stamina, etc. But I think my inactivity prior to surgery took care of that. It will take some time to build back up to that level. I'm 61.

Things that surprised me (now nearly four weeks post op):

• The drainage tubes being taken out didn't hurt one bit and I was expecting them too, especially when the nurse told me to hold my breath etc. No pain at all from them.

• The 'cracking' 'movement' of the sternal bones, particularly during the first week.

• The loud noise of my heart beat, particularly the last sound which is like a 'bang', especially in view of the fact that I have a tissue valve. GP explained that it's the noise of the new leaflets 'banging' shut.

• The contining exhaustion and sternal pain…but maybe that's just me as I had no reserves pre-op and lost a lot of weight. Doc now says that is due to 'surgical insult'. Also sternal pain might be due to fact that I have a depressed sternum so maybe there was more manipulation ? I can certainly feel a rib that is a bit out of place.

• The fact that my pressure gradient across the new valve is 33 mm/Hg. Seven years ago the pressure gradient across the bicuspid valve was 30 mm/Hg so I certainly hope this new valve lasts a bit longer than seven years ! The echo technician said the gradient is that becasue the ring that holds the valve takes up space - he said there's no turbulence though. Well…I'm surprised that the pressure gradient isn't a lot less.

Last edited:
"• The fact that my pressure gradient across the new valve is 33 mm/Hg. Seven years ago the pressure gradient across the bicuspid valve was 30 mm/Hg so I certainly hope this new valve lasts a bit longer than seven years ! The echo technician said the gradient is that becasue the ring that holds the valve takes up space - he said there's no turbulence though. Well…I'm surprised that the pressure gradient isn't a lot less. "

Yeah, that was a surprise to me, too. I was also surprised to be told that I still have a murmur. This is because of the turbulance caused by the valve construction, and is now described as "very mild."

Also, I don't remember the details and don't have the report with me, but I was surprised at my last echo to find that the ava of my 23 mm Edwards valve is not that much larger than my natural valve was when the stenosis began to advance. Somehow I expected it now to be "huge" in comparison.

And I have a similar continuing surprises with my Medtronic pig valve, 3+ years after my AVR. The good news in my case (and maybe in yours, too) is that I was still playing all-out competitive volleyball with LOTS of that natural-valve stenosis, so I can be pretty sure that my pressure-gradients (or effective Aortic areas) can be significantly worse than my present ones without actually slowing me down. But I'm not in a rush for them to get significantly worse!!

Surprised...
that my nipples and curved chest tube holes above my navel make it look like I have a big smiley face on my chest... (per my kids) :)
I could raise my hands over my head 24 hours after surgery
How much chest tubes really SUCK - they are the devil!:mad:
how I seem to not be able to associate and say what something is even though I'm looking right at it and it's on the tip of my tongue... (perhaps the pump head from what I'm told?)
Resting HR is higher than expected but will sometimes settles down to 70 (normal for me was low 60s)
I can do 13 pushups at 6 weeks post op
How I sometimes forget I even had surgery till I walk past a mirror with my shirt off and see my scar.
How my aorta did not just blow out before it was repaired --- 5.8 cm and after my surgeon finished noted to my wife that the vessel wall was diminished down to being toilet paper thin.
By how many TRUE friends I really had who supported and gave us secret cheers!
I am still alive!

Hi all I just read this hole thread and it brought back lots of memories from my first avr four years ago. I am scheduled for my second AVR in 5 days and it had me doing a lot of thinking about my previous surgery. The biggest surprise for me was waking up in the icu the very first thing I noticed was I felt way better than I could ever remember feeling before! Then it hit me I had that dam tube down my throat. Once it was removed everything was awesome good and most of the rest of the most common on the list hear I just excepted cuz I was so happy I felt so much better. I have been able to tell for about 9 mos I've been on my way back down and really praying this time is just as good as the last with one exception. "It lasts a lot longer than 4yrs"

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Not breathing immediately when first coming to. I remember thinking I was alive, but it was strange not breathing. Then I realized what breathing tube really meant. Never thought much about it before surgery, other than hearing and reading it is not exactly comfortable.

I was also a little surprised at how much a difference there really was, immediately, even though the surgeon and everyone said I would notice quite a difference. When I came to, it was almost like you could hear the wheels turning or a rushing noise.

I was surprised by:

How my family responded/didn't respond. My mother and husband sat on the couch on the other side of the room and talked to me or played with their computers. My stepmother forced me to use the spirometer, and to eat. My dad simply held my hand.

All the meds! Antacids, insulin, iron, folic acid, potassium, diuretic, vitamin c, beta-blocker, anti-biotics, in addition to my statin. My nurses quizzed me on them each time though, so by the end of day 3 I knew everything I was taking and what it was for.

How hard it was to breathe a full breath! It was easier at night when I wore my cPap machine, supplemented with oxygen

How easy it was to simply block out the parts that grossed me out - mainly looking at teh incision and the drain tubes and IVs and stuff. I don't even like to watch when I get a finger-stick for blood tests, so I made it a point to NOT see any tubes going in/out of me. I kept a hospital gown on all the time, I didn't wear my glasses in the bathroom (so I couldn't see in the mirror), and I never EVER looked down or behind me when I went for walks. I never saw my drain tubes, I never saw where they went, I never saw my IV tree...nothing! (I still don't like to look at my incision, and it's been nearly 6 weeks!)

How amazingly awesome the nurses and patient care techs are! I (and my modesty) appreciated how matter-of-fact they are when it's time to clean up, or move, or get fresh clothes on.

Reactions: Amy
17 days post op...
At no time was there even a glimpse of a spirometer, or comforting chest pillow.They did however have anti-skid socks. Very few people were going fast enough to skid :rolleyes:

The left side of my tongue is still numb.

I feel like I am wearing a breast plate of armour and all have sorts of unusual feelings/sensations in chest (at times even reminiscent of when I was breast feeding) i know !!:eek2:

I have not had more than 2 hours of consecutive sleep since being admitted May 9th (surgery doesn't count). I am feeling punchy.

I was erroneously put on warfarin post op but was discontinued at discharge. I was pissed because was told no artificial valve because not able to have anticoagulants due to blood issue.

My red blood cells were described as "anorexic".

Kittens will inevitably jump on your chest, sneeze in face making you jerk painfully. Said kittens also bring comfort when they snuggle and purr.

Day after surgery I said to husband "no WAY am I going through this again :mad:" Now..."meh...if I have to but they better get cracking on some medical/surgical advancements!!"

Seeing GP tomorrow (yep..on a Sunday) as BP is all over the place, left leg swelling and double vision is a bit of a problem.

Other than that, minor bumps... s'all good :)

Helen

Love the bit about the "said kittens" Helen ! I'm sure they bring comfort when they snuggle and purr - I'm jealous ! We should all have kittens.

No sign of a comfort pillow at my hospital and no sign of a spirometer EVEN THOUGH I HAVE SMALL AIRWAYS DISEASE ! I was discharged with pleural effusions ! I was not best pleased.

Double vision - I still get that five months (exactly today) after surgery. That with silver sparkles and zigzagging migraine aura (no headache though). The double vision is the most disconcerting. From what I understand these visual disturbances are to do with the heart lung machine. Could be due to medication too (I'm not on any now).

Good that you can see your GP on a Sunday !

The numbness in the left side of my tongue is finally going away.

I have a "fold/wrinkle" of skin in my incision in "mah cleavage" about the size of a pea. Kinda like when you put up wallpaper and the seam isn't right because under the paper there is something stuck to the wall . I thought it was swelling and would go away. It hasn't. :eek2: My husband said maybe I could "iron the wrinkle out". I suggested a thorough ironing of his testicles first. (I was aching and a tad bitchy)

It is easy to feel just fine, overdo without realizing it and then next day you are no longer on speaking terms with sternum. Rib cage and sternum are co-conspirators and will get you if you get smug. (There is value in the medical suggestion not to vacuum/lift before 6 weeks. :wink2: )

That is all..for now.

Helen:wink2:

That a-fib can lie in wait and get you a week after surgery... just a day or two after going home. (Then I spent another four days in the hospital just when I thought I was in the clear.) In retrospect, I did have 2-3 very brief instances of a-fib during the first week. They felt like very harsh palpitations under the collarbone. The monitors apparently never detected it and the doctors shrugged them off when I tried to describe it.
That in spite of the warnings of how pale I would look, and my husband's concern over seeing me on the ventilator, he later told me how good I looked right after surgery. It wasn't a surprise, but it was great how wonderfully he took care of me.
That I went home with a lot of prescriptions. Vitamins, iron supplement, diuretic, beta blocker, etc.
That I wasn't on any prescriptions two months later. Just a baby aspirin a day now.
That sometimes my heart would pound so hard (but at the normal, measured pace) I could just sit and count my pulse. I noticed it a few weeks post-op and then it went away about a month later.
That I never felt any real pain. Mostly discomfort of the incision and surrounding area where some skin came off with the initial bandage.
That flying home two weeks post-op was more scary than the prelude to surgery. Nothing happened on the long flight; it was just my fear something would go wrong.
That three months later, I often forget I even had surgery.

6 days post op here. The anesthesiaologist told me I had the toughest skin he had ever seen as he inserted the jugular IV line. That stung a little, but really didn't hurt. I remember going into the OR and climbing over onto the table. They positioned my arms and asked me a few questions. I had a neighbor in there say hey to me and that was the last thing I remember. Waking up in recovery and biting on the ET tube. Trying to pull it out. That feeling of choking. Seeing my wife for the first time and thinking it was the day of surgery but it was actually the next day.
The first walk around ICU with the Foley bag and chest tube box. The constant pain from the chest tubes. They hurt pretty bad when they were removed, but the dull pain that was constant immediately went away. The nurse told when when the pacing wires were removed, those would not hurt either. Felt like getting stung by 2 Japanese hornets. Amazed by how just simple Tylenol helps most all of the pain better than anything including the narcotics.
Still know I have a lot more to be amazed at. I am not at 2 yet on my Coumadin, but the doc let me out of the hospital today. Got to go back tomorrow for more blood tests.
I have learned so much and been able to handle this so much better from reading the experiences from others on this forum. You don't know how much I appreciate it...!

- How uncomfortable hospital beds are
- How slow the time went while in the hospital
- That I would have a pacemaker and they would either pull or cut the wires out
- That I would not get a bath for 5 days :{
- How much I all of a sudden loved Ice cold Water
- How many places they would put an IV or port
- How my body moved during my afib episode - I asked Am I moving side to side?? That was strange! I do not like Afib
- That I could eat what ever I wanted

I was surprised to find myself in an ICU with a breathing tube down my throat, and people telling me I had heart surgery! At first, I thought they were telling me I had a heart attack. Turns out, I had a thoracic aortic aneurysm with dissection and valve repair (though I was later to get an echocardiogram that indicates I also had a heart attack on the operating table...lost 11% of heart function). I have no memory of the events of that day, just text message and phone log evidence that I reached out to my employer and my boyfriend as I was having my cardiac episode.

Other than that, the post-surgical surprises were:
--How hard it was to breathe. I felt like I was drowning whenever I was on my back. I held onto that air suction tube for dear life every waking moment.
--Speaking of waking, I was kept unconscious for six days. After that, I guess my body had had enough of sleep and I hardly slept at all the next four days in the hospital and the next four days after discharge.
--It really hurt to try lying on my side. Took a full two months before I could do it successfully. I sure wish I had a recliner!
--I was loopy for a long time, longer than I'd like to admit. Embarrassingly loopy.
--Ice chips, for the win! They also let me have this Italian ice thingy that was kind of like ice cream. Sooooooo good!
--The hospital discharge instructions took almost 10 minutes to relay. I insisted on recording the audio using my cellphone. Did I mention I was loopy? How could I remember all that information?
--My insurance plan did not provide an in-home caregiver to help me with daily tasks like bathing, dressing, cooking meals, grocery shopping. I had to pay out of pocket for that.
--Since I had no heart disease, I was sent to a geneticist on the hypothesis that I had Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Surprised to find out I did. My life expectancy is significantly shorter than I had assumed.
--I couldn't stand to wear a bra the first couple weeks and when I finally had to wear one, it squeezed like a vice (due to swelling of incision)
--A month after surgery, I still felt like roadkill. But two weeks after that, I was almost back to feeling normal. Just had to be patient and let it take its course.
--Six weeks after surgery, I was told that the dissection was systemic and tore a false lumen down my entire aorta, into the tops of my legs, and my left armpit. My life expectancy was shortened even more.
--Every doctor I met with post-op would look at me, look at my chart, look at me and say either, "Wow, you really went through a lot!" or "You're lucky to be alive."
--Three months after surgery (which brings us up to date), I am back at work. Exhausted. But not as badly as I'd feared, which was a very pleasant surprise.

Overall, I'm surprised at how I am holding up psychologically. Given all I went through, I wouldn't have been shocked to find myself going into a depression. Here's the mantra I keep saying, "Do you really want to spend what little time you have left feeling depressed and poor me? You've been given a second chance at life. Take it and embrace it! And make sure you go to Harry Potter World soon rather than saving it for 'someday'!"

I hope my post has helped someone here.

This post should have a WARNING for those who have not had surgery yet! Yikes some of these stories are enough to scare the crap out of someone getting ready for OHS. **** happens, no need to bring it to the attention of new patients who may not ever encounter any such issues. Plenty fine to share stories with folks, but like I said the sticky for the post should include a mild warning for would be readers.

The fact that they filled my chest cavity with ice to decrease my heart rate until it stopped really freaked me out when they told me in post-op. I couldn't warm up, I think I ran ICU out of heated blankies that first day. HA Thanx, Tank

I was surprised that the hole where my chest tube had been ended up draining for three full weeks after the tube was removed. I had to use Betadine, gauze, and tape daily until the hole closed up. My boyfriend suggested that I think of the hole as an arrow wound -- I really liked that image! The wound has closed up nicely now.

Back