Advances in OHS?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickaback2

I will be having OHS 40 years after my first in the coming months.
For anyone who has had multiple OHS, what advances did you experiences over time?
Thanks.

Hi pickaback2 and welcome to this forum. You can learn a lot here. I have not had any OHS since my aortic valve was implanted in 1967 but I do visit with OHS patients, post-op, weekly as a hospital volunter. One of the really big changes I've noticed is post-op time in the hospital. I was in the hospital 14 days after my surgery and the inpatient time is now about half of that....4-6 days. Patients today are up and walking after a day or so rather than the several days in ICU in the '60s. Medications are now available for just about anything.....however I remember liking my "old time" diuretic a lot more than the newer diuretic drugs.....I got a 12oz can of beer every night LOL. It still is major surgery but a lot of the major "unknowns" seem to have been resolved. There are many on this forum that have have had re-ops and I'm sure they can add a lot based on their experiences.

dick0236;n869253 said:
Hi pickaback2 and welcome to this forum. You can learn a lot here. I have not had any OHS since my aortic valve was implanted in 1967 but I do visit with OHS patients, post-op, weekly as a hospital volunter. One of the really big changes I've noticed is post-op time in the hospital. I was in the hospital 14 days after my surgery and the inpatient time is now about half of that....4-6 days. Patients today are up and walking after a day or so rather than the several days in ICU in the '60s. Medications are now available for just about anything.....however I remember liking my "old time" diuretic a lot more than the newer diuretic drugs.....I got a 12oz can of beer every night LOL. It still is major surgery but a lot of the major "unknowns" seem to have been resolved. There are many on this forum that have have had re-ops and I'm sure they can add a lot based on their experiences.

You've had amazing results with that valve.

Pickaback2, you have come to the right place where people have had ohs over the years and changes have taken place. Of course of mine, it has been some time since my last one, 2001, aortic valve replacement. Mine was going in the hospital the day before, day of surgery and left after two day recovery. But at the time, the aortic valve was the only problem i had, healthwise at the time. It depends of whatever health issues you might also will determine your recovery after surgery. But if you are healthy otherwise, you will do fine and have a restriction or two, and the chest will have to heal for at least a year. The trauma from surgery to the muscles makes it take time to heal.

Poeple here can relate to you because we relate our experiences and advice to those who have questions, because in cardiology changes everyday. Come when you feel like it, everyday if you and are welcome to share your experiences here also. Welcome and hugs for today. :)

Carolinemc,
Thank you for your kind response.
I am having my mitral and aortic valves replaced with mechanical versions and possibly having some more thickening removed. Local cardiologist referred me to Cleveland for OHS, but also said he didn't know how my heart would react to the surgery and I might need a transplant.
Local tests have been sent there and I am making waiting to hear from CC.
My worry is that I am dependent on supplemental oxygen, have pulmonary hypertention and have been in and out of heart failure. I read somewhere that those factors increase risk.
I have major trauma from a disastrous heart cath as a kid and took a while to come to grips with OHS again at all. Not sure I could could get through a transplant.

Pickaback2

I had OHS in 1986 at age 14 for subaortic membrane removal, in 2009 at age 37 for a myectomy and mitral valve repair and this past January 2016 at age 43 for mitral valve replacement and tricuspid valve repair.

Personally I haven't really noticed a lot of difference aside from the preoperative testing is all done as an out patient a week or more before surgery. I was hospitalized a couple days in advance for a cardiac cath and other tests prior to my surgery in 1986. The time I spent in the hospital was actually longest in 2009, 10 days. In 86 I was in for a week total and this year I was in for 4 days.

So I think that varies on how your heart responds to the surgery, in 2009 I had a lot of tachycardia my heart didn't like that surgery and was irritable. My 2009 surgery was the most stressful and difficult for me to wrap my head around and also the more difficult recovery too. Each one has had its own set of mental and physical challenges pre and post op.

I was told by my cardiologist after my 2nd surgery that I would probably need a heart transplant someday. I have always said I'd never have a heart transplant, but after seeing my brother have a kidney and pancreas transplant and then 14 years later have a heart transplant and he is doing very well, I might change my mind if it comes to that. I know it won't be easy, but it is doable. (as an FYI...I am a nurse and worked as a heart lung transplant coordinator and also as an organ procurement coordinator. So having that experience has kind of messed with my mind and I don't make a very good patient, of course what nurse does. Lol)

Good luck with your future surgery.

Latest posts

Back