Activities for people with moderate/severe regurg

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Hi-

I was wondering if anyone would like to share their activity restrictions with mitral valve regurgitation? I was going to ask my cardiologist but I wasn't thinking at the time. I left a msg with her to call but I was wondering about your restrictions. I work out 6 days a week doing elliptical/kickboxing/intervals and weightlifting and she said to not lift more than 8 pds with the reps, (their goes my quest for Mrs. Bodybuilder :tongue2:) and low sodium and hardly any caffeine... Thanks! Laura

My cardio says to do "what feels ok". I used to be able to do 10 min a mile a long time ago, but I had stopped exercising for a couple of years and then when I got back into it, it felt bad and it was around that time that I was diagnosed. Since then, I do brisk walking but no running. You should listen to your body and stop if you feel heaviness in your chest while working out. Also, you can ask your cardio to do a "stress VO2" test, a variation of the regular stress test where they measure how efficiently your heart is pumping during exercise by measuring the CO2. That should give you more confidence. Go easy on the weights, never do weights that make you grunt. The sudden increase in BP during weight lifting is bad for valves.

Hope that helps.

Oh, btw, what are your stats for EF, LV measurements, level of regurg etc? Sorry if you have already mentioned all this before, I come to the site less often than I used to.

I had no restrictions while I experienced mitral regurgitation including the weeks waiting for my surgery. My surgeon and cardio both said do whatever I was okay doing. I had no caffeine restrictions nor specific sodium limits. My cardio knew I was aware of my sodium intake and never went to extreme with it.
Certainly common sense should be exercised.

I've asked this exact question to several doctors/surgeons. All of them say the exact same thing.....avoid heavy weightlifting (toning stuff is fine) and do whatever you feel is right with cardio workouts. No restrictions on running, stairmaster, group exercise, etc.

i was weight training between 3 and 5 times a week just done lighter weight more reps 10-15 instead of 6-8 and on cross trainer 45 mins a day right up till 2 days before my mitral valve repair my doctor advised i should try and keep my heart rate under 126

Latest posts

Back