ACT home test unit advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Guy

2 questions;

I had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical On-x almost 8 weeks ago and want to get an INR home test unit.

I see others on various threads got their test units a few months after surgery. My clinic says I need to wait 6 months post op before insurance will approve home testing, so they won't give me a prescription. I have not called the ins company to verify yet but thought I'd seen several people here lately who got their unit prior to the 6 months. Does the 6 months wait sound right?

Which unit do you prefer? I will want a small lightweight simple unit because I travel a lot and occasionally for a couple weeks or more at a time.

My clinic uses an INratio which seems nice. I've heard other brands mentioned but I'm not familiar.

Thanks, Doug

Medicare requires three months on warfarin/coumadin before they will cover home testing. Private insurance can pretty much set their own rules. Your clinic may want you to have more experience(6 months) before letting you self test.

I have used a Coaguchek XS for over one year and find the meter simple to use and accurate. I had an INRatio a couple years ago. They are both good, although I think I like the Coaguchek better.

I too have a Coaguchek XS, it comes with it's own traveling case to keep all the supply's handy. But I do recommend not to put any monitor in your check-in luggage......put it in with your carry on luggage along with all your meds.

I signed up with the Philips service. They require being on warfarin for 3 months before you can self-test. I think the same is true for the Alere service. Philips gives you a choice of meter - you checked the appropriate box on the paper your doctor completes to OK home testing.

I chose to get the INRatio2, mainly because the testing strips are in individual foil packets. INRatio2 meter also comes with a case. I keep all necessary testing supplies in the case.

Yes, both come with a nice case, and both are pretty small. The InRatio strips not only come in their own foil packets--the packets don't require refrigeration. I'm not completely sure that's the same with the XS.

I haven't used an InRatio yet, but a lot of people like it - and if your lab uses it, you'll probably get a lot more familiar with how to run the tests than you may with a CoaguChek XS (though I'm sure both are pretty easy).

Good luck with the insurance company - and enjoy your meter.

Latest posts

Back