A repair after a failed repair?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Hello!

I had a repair 01/12 and for the past 6 months my valve has been leaking mod/severe so we are playing "the waiting game" again. I have noticed that people usually have a replacement after a repair. Is that the common thing? or is there a possibility for another repair after a failed one? Thank you- Laura

Hi Laura

I'm sorry to hear that. In the coming months I'll have to decide whether I want a repair or a replacement of my aortic valve. I've read tons of articles in the last weeks about repairs. Valve repairs have been done since quite a while, but still there is not as much scientifically proven data about it as for instance about appendectomies or tonsillectomies. Accordingly, the knowledge about the repair of a repair is even smaller. Depending on the affected valve, the kind of procedure and the technique used for your first operation as well as the current anatomical situation of your valve, the answer will be different.
You will need a very personalized treatment. Your surgeon can best show you the possibilities and risks of a second repair. Since different centers tend to handle this differently you might also think about a second opinion.

For many of us they told us "Repair is not an option. Pick a new valve and let's go."

I'm not so sure I would differ from that opinion. If one repair failed, how sure can they be that a second will last? I understand the desire for a long-lasting solution without anticoagulation, but it seems to me that it is a risky choice.

I would see another surgeon for a second opinion. A replacement may be better for you than a repair. It it were me, I don't think I'd even want to hear anything about another repair, just replace it and get it over, but, that's just me.

A repair after a failed repair?

I know my surgeon mentioned re-repairing mitral valves repaired by other surgeons. I believe it was specifically in reference to my questions about robotic surgeries. I think it may depend on why your first repair failed.

Thank you for your comments and advice. I will seek other options. I think I will send my echo to a couple of surgeons and see what they recommend. I do want to get on with my life and I leaning towards a mechanical to 'get it over with' and not have to think about another repair. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back