a few questions at 12 days post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cuorcino,

Sounds like you are doing well with the exercise. You don't want to push too awfully hard. As far as your low blood pressure, it is quite possible if your BP machine is correct, that is what's causing the dizziness. I'm not sure about the double vision. I will say that for about 1 year my eyes simply would not focus quiet right. I had to change my eyeclasses twice. At first the glasses I went into the hospital with, did not work for me when I got home. I actually wore them for a couple of months. Then went to the eye Dr. He changed the prescription. Then those glasses didn't work right, because they were too strong.! So I finally ended up with just a slight change to the lens, from the originals.

If your blood presure continues to be low, call your cardio. Don't hesitate. I'm not trying to alarm you, but when I had effusion, my blood presure went VERY LOW. I felt like I might pass out.

Keep us posted!

Cuorcino,

I'm sorry I missed that last post of yours. It's good to hear that you've told your cardio about the low blood pressure. Also, It is natural for you to be somewhat put-off, and depressed by this whole ordeal. You've been through a MAJOR-UNDERTAKING! It has it's effects, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well! It all takes TIME. Try to be patient with it all. You can not rush things! Try not to worry and just take it one day at a time. I CAN PROMISE YOU IT DOES GET BETTER.

You've got a long life ahead of you, with alot to look forward to!

Take care, keep us posted.

quick 17th day update:

today was shower number two. it went a lot better and i actually looked down at the wound for a bit and it's actually starting to heal quite nicely. there was a knot at the top which has almost completely flattened out. so, it seems i'm starting to be "ok" with that part now.

dizziness is less frequent now, while blood pressure is still quite low, but stable so i'm not too worried.

today i danced to beyonce in my living room which i think means that i'm getting better :)

that is all.

ciao

It sounds like you are doing really well. Since I was in the hospital for 10 days, I had my first shower in the hospital. When I got home,I took a shower by myself but needed my husband 's help to dry my hair.I was told to use soap without any scent or coloring. I was to turn my back to the shower and let the water drip on my incision.Then pat dry. No rubbing to wash or dry.

As to walking, I was told to walk 4 or 5 times a day, start at 5 minutes and increase the time until I reached a total of one hour of walking a day.

Here's to an uneventful recovery.

stop and think a moment. you have had MAJOR surgery and your body has taken a for real beating so to speak. naturally, it's going to feel bum in lots of places. you sound pretty good to me at this early stage, but always call your physician if you have any questions that need professional answers, even tho this site can give you some, too. Wishing you well. It will all fall into place, given time. keep us posted? Blessins......

with the stitches out, i decided that this afternoon it was time to confront the shower. once undressed, i was actually brave enough to glance down at what are now scabs (and a gaping hole that still needs to scab) where my drainage tubes and stitches used to be. this sent me immediately into panic/depression. i literally cannot look down at the area underneath my torso. it makes me sick. ugh..... ok, deep breath, moving on.

ciao

Katie, I was just 6 weeks shy of my 18th birthday when I had my first OHS. I had no boyfriend. I was ready to graduate high school and go to college. And here I was with this huge scar down the middle of my chest. And it was a keloid! I thought it was just awful. I couldn't begin to think how any man was every going to find me attractive. But you know what, I went away to college 6 months after my surgery. I dated. It was really a non-issue. I eventually met my husband and he was absolutely fine with my scar. By then, my scar had faded to the point that you really had to look for it to see it. I know it may look awful to you now. But give it time, it will get better. Before you know it.

We have all been there before and know exactly how you feel.

Kim

Thanks Kim!

As far as my relationship with "the wound", it actually has little to do with aesthetics. (Although, admittedly as a 26 year old female who just recently learned how to strut her stuff proudly during bathing suit season, the idea of the scar didn't exactly thrill me.) I think it's about how much of a wimp the hospital stay had made me and the drainage scabs especially are still a bit open and oozy so it grosses me out! See... wimp. But, like I said I'm getting better and yesterday I even donned a tank top in the house! Big step.

And you are absolutely right in mentioning that I have a boyfriend (a fantastic one at that who reminds me how bella I am everyday), so I should stop being so damn superficial and suck it up!! :D

To change the subject I would also like to mention that today's song of choice for my living room dancing was an Italian pop song by Tiziano Ferro, called "Perdono". (and by dancing, of course I mean moving my hips and lower body while my upper body is still quite robot-like :p)

Thanks Kim!

As far as my relationship with "the wound", it actually has little to do with aesthetics. (Although, admittedly as a 26 year old female who just recently learned how to strut her stuff proudly during bathing suit season, the idea of the scar didn't exactly thrill me.) I think it's about how much of a wimp the hospital stay had made me and the drainage scabs especially are still a bit open and oozy so it grosses me out! See... wimp. But, like I said I'm getting better and yesterday I even donned a tank top in the house! Big step.

And you are absolutely right in mentioning that I have a boyfriend (a fantastic one at that who reminds me how bella I am everyday), so I should stop being so damn superficial and suck it up!! :D

To change the subject I would also like to mention that today's song of choice for my living room dancing was an Italian pop song by Tiziano Ferro, called "Perdono". (and by dancing, of course I mean moving my hips and lower body while my upper body is still quite robot-like :p)

I remember at about day 20 dancing around the kitchen table singing "I feel good, just like I knew that I would":D

It's true that your boyfriend sounds fantastic!

Latest posts

Back