A brain-link is missing!...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussigal

Hi all...

I am 6 1/2 weeks post-op and am finally figuring out what it is that doesnt feel normal yet...

There feels like I am missing a link in my brain and I feel kinda half asleep most of the time...
Is this the "Pumphead" that I hear you guys speak of ?

Mum said that until this week my eyes didnt seem to "connect" yet...but that I looked better this week...

I still feel as if I am not paying attention properly and that I am still in LaLaLand sometimes.

Has anybody taken any notice or studied how this relates to our length of surgery and how long this will last for? I am guessing that it will be with me for a while due to my extended surgery, time-out and those 3 cardiac-arrests ?

Yes, Ton, this is pumphead. You had some real experience with being on the pump and you can expect to have a longer time getting over it. I remember, after my third surgery, I tried to do the month end reports for my company about 4 weeks after surgery. I had thought I would be fine attempting it but, when I was actually trying to do the work, I just couldn't manage it. I would get to a certain point and just forget where I was or how to balance the accounts.
I had to give up and pass it along to someone else.
As long as you and your family feel there is a steady improvement (with a few backslides here and there) you should not worry.
However, always remember, if you have questions or concerns you should ask your doctor. As we always say, that is one of the things doctors get paid for.;) :D ;)

At 6 ½ weeks of my operation I was ?passed out? most of the time. I blamed it to the 100mg of Atenolol I was taking (it has now been reduced to 50mg). I had not found this site at the time and didn?t know about ?pumphead?. I was lucky a friend invited me to spend over a month at her Fl apt. and took care of me. I slept so profoundly most of the time that sometimes she was afraid I was gone. Did not even hear a telephone ringing next to me ear. I don't know what I had done if I had to stay by myself.
Today, (10 mos after the operation) I still can?t come up with a word sometimes and misplace letters while writing. Don?t know whether this is ?pumphead? , lost a link to my brain or just getting ?old?:D

Hello, Ton.

I think if it were me, I'd call in and speak to the doctor about your feeings. Not in an alarm mode, just check it, get his opinion, see if he can give you a timetable, ask him if there is anything specific you can do to speed this piece of your recovery along.

You know, I had the opposite experience from you (a really boring surgery). And at almost 7 weeks, I too am feeling like there is a piece missing. I did walk around somewhat dazed feeling for awhile. Now, I'm more motivated (but only somewhat ;) ) and that dull feeling is dissipating. But the wierd thing is that some things aren't "coming" to me fast enough. When I type, I will transpose, or leave out letters 10 times more than I used to. I really have to edit. It's like the action from my brain to my fingertips has been altered. Slowed down. And I'm having trouble with people's names. They just aren't coming to me fast enough. Not everyones. Just when running into people you haven't seen for awhile. And vocabulary.....many times, I'll be stuck searching for the right word, and it's just on the tip of my tongue but oftentimes never gets to me!

My oldest son was so convinced that I could ramp up my memory cells (and thus not loose too many important ones on the machine) that my christmas presents were all memory games (crosswords, trivia, shape cards, number challenges, etc.) I've decided this week, to put down the novels and do an hour of those once a day. It certainly can't hurt!

It sounds completely normal to me. Still, if it's related to any new meds you're taking, you'll feel alot better knowing that. But I honestly just think you have to give it some time.

You're doing great!!! :D Marguerite

If you're on beta blockers, that could be part of it. I couldn't concentrate at all so tapered off them and don't have that problem anymore. Coincidence? I think not.

Aphasia is one of the most common problems after surgery - I don't think it's necessarily ohs-related - probably anesthetics. I've known others who had regular surgeries that took a long time, or multiple surgeries in a short time, who experience trouble with names & words. I had aphasia due to chemotherapy a long time ago; thought I was going crazy, then some research results were published and it's a fairly common long-term side effect of chemo. So I'm double-dipping. :(

The really foggy feeling and inability to follow conversations or concentrate on problems seem to go away after a few months for most folks. Those appear to be truly pumphead stuff. I remember after I went back to work (at 12 weeks) that people would talk, and I'd hear them, but the words wouldn't "straighten out" in my head for a few seconds. It was so odd, I didn't tell anyone until it went away. It was like my cognition was on time-delay.

I couldn't read a book for about 6 months. Then it suddenly became no problem.

It seems to all be related (from previous discussions on here) to length of surgery - mine was long at 8.5 hours. So Ton, I'd say with your history you really shouldn't fret about it. It just takes those synapses a while to get sparking again.

Poor woman. You want to be fully recovered very quickly and I know that it seems like an eternity since surgery, but it really hasn't been that long. Some of us do not go by a schedule and recover at a much different rate. Your gettin there kiddo, it's just going to take more time then you'd like it too. Better to have that time though, then to worry about running out of it!

Hi Ton.. so good to see you!:) I have been wondering how you were!

My eyes too have been one of my biggest complaints.. I truly felt at times that they were going different directions from each other.. and the ocular migranes at times were 10-15 per day..
that too is getting less and less.

I am so forgetful or struggle so much to stay with a conversation..and my kids really tax my concentration levels:rolleyes: (4wks post op)

today I went to church and the music.. and trying to see (it is big and I was in the back) and trying to understand (he has a jamacan accent) was more than my sensories could handle.. my heart started palpatating really badly..and I couldn't wait to come home..

I think (not medically licensed thoughts) that our senses are just slower..and much easier to overload or over stimulate right now...
It takes a lot of concentration to talk or to listen or to look or to hear..and when we are trying to do all of it.. well it is overload and we space out. (speaking for myself here)
Sounds like this is normal or part of the process..
I am so glad to see you post and to hear that other than being a bit spacey;) ..that you are doing well!

Hey Ton!

How are you feeling otherwise?

There was a study that someone posted here not too long ago (at least I think I saw the link here!!) about the relation of time on bypass and short term memory issues. Does anyone know the study I am thinking of? I only glanced over it. I will take a peek back and see if I can find it. It may have been closer to the time of Nathan's surgery...

Nice to hear from ya Tonia, take care :)

Missing brain link

Missing brain link

Ton,

I am a year beyond my first surgery and 5 months past my second and I still have trouble finding words. That was NEVER a problem before.:D I figure it probably won't go away, but I can live with it. I have only been able to read a book all the way through in the last month. It is a small price to pay for good health.

Take it easy and be patient (this comes from one of the most impatient people in the world.)

Is it winter down there? What is winter like south of the Equator?
It's 97 F here today (Texas).

Let us know how you're getting on.

Barbara

A big thankyou hug to all who have had a word or two in my ear :D ...

It makes me feel better when I realise it is pretty normal...I am just being impatient and I feel as if I am not giving as much back to our community as I would like to...I manage to read vr.com almost every-day , lucky for me my computer doesnt mind how slow I am.

I am driving Hubby and the boys crazy with my weird ways and mood-swings at the moment...fighting to be independant again yet lots of things still tire me really quickly.

So I will try ignore all the stuff like this that is blocking my way and go with the good stuff hey!? Its annoying because the outside of me looks pretty normal now and I just expect to be back to normal now, and so do the boys.

Yes Barbara it is winter now, here in Perth it is getting cold at around 40F overnight BUT we are having a warm spell 'cos it is climbing to 70F+ during the days, Just Lovely !

These ANTS keep crawling across my field of vision too...really funny they are but I figured out what they were weeks ago!;)

Beta blockers... I used to be on 200mg per day, now on 50 mg...mmm...actually I am on 1/4 of the BP meds I was on before surgery and my BP is lower than it ever was...I am going to see my Cardio this week and get another BP pill stopped cos I just dont think I need them anymore...bit of a bonus!

My vocab is OK I think but I am awfully quiet and dont start the conversations at the moment...I tend to sit back and listen...its only here or when writing an email that I get all chatty...And big shopping centres get me feeling overwhelmed easily. I took a drive in my car this weekend, that was scary cos I felt like I wasnt paying attention to the road, might just stick to really short trips.

Once again thanks everyone...I feel normal for an OHS patient now :D ...and will try stop worrying that I am ignoring everyone and accept that this is gonna take some time...
Yes Ross...I am glad to have Time cos I nearly lost it hey!

When I complained to my Cardio about feeling lethargic while on 100 mg of Toprol (Beta Blocker), he had me cut my dose in Half for Two Weeks which helped considerably. Then he had me cut it in half again for another two weeks. Finally he had me stop but the symptoms returned so I remained on 25 mg for many months.

Bottom Line: NEVER quit Beta Blockers 'Cold Turkey'. It is best to taper down to avoid other problems.

And Be Sure to TELL your Cardio about your cognitive issues, just so he is aware and makes a record of those symptoms.

It took over a year for me to feel I had reached my maximum recovery potential after my second OHS.

'AL Capshaw'

Hey darlin. Just don't let those boys of yours get to you. They should be dam* proud that you look as good as you do. Keep a low cut shirt on so that people can be reminded how deeply the doctors had to go in to get you fixed up. That scar can be an important reminder!

I found that there were certain things that made me the most tired or achey. I just asked someone else to do those little things for me everyday and it really made a difference. I also tried to nap while the house was empty so that I would be refreshed and somewhat energetic when people were home. If they care more about your being energetic than they do about how clean the house or clothes are, then make sure you let things go for awhile and save the energy for them. Yes?

Whoever said that all the sights and sounds are overstimulating for awhile is absolutely right! That's what makes home so darn nice! It's quiet and predictable! I've been avoiding outtings and freeways. Slowly, readjust to the hub-bub of shopping centers. Keep those outings really short. When I was 3 weeks out, 3 hours in a mall became a nightmare. This weekend, 5 hours in the same place was almost normal. You will get there. Don't push it.

Let us know what your doctor says.....yes, we're checking up on you that you call him. So let us know!!

You're awesome!! Keep at it....you'll get there. Honest!!

:D Marguerite

aussigal said:
I am driving Hubby and the boys crazy with my weird ways and mood-swings at the moment...fighting to be independant again yet lots of things still tire me really quickly.

My vocab is OK I think but I am awfully quiet and dont start the conversations at the moment...I tend to sit back and listen...its only here or when writing an email that I get all chatty...And big shopping centres get me feeling overwhelmed easily. I took a drive in my car this weekend, that was scary cos I felt like I wasnt paying attention to the road, might just stick to really short trips.

This all sounds so very incredibly normal, and brings back memories. You needs lots of time for recovery; let your family do any worrying that needs to be done. All I wanted to talk about after surgery was surgery and recovery, and others quickly let me know they didn't want to hear about that, so what was there left to talk about? Then I found VRcom, and found lots to talk about. I was driving at least a month before I really started paying attention to the road...

Pumphead

Pumphead

As I have written before I had a severely impaired mental function on Metoprolol (beta-blocker) the higher the dose the worse I was. On 200mg of Metoprolol a day I am surprised you could even get out of bed and recognise your family! :eek: Like Magnus and Al I found as it was reduced and eventually stopped it was like a fog lifting. I however stopped on cardio?s instruction, as Al said reductions should be titrated with a halving of the dosage every 3-4 weeks. Stopping cold turkey can have serious side effects including heart attack. :eek: I measured my recovery by the number of drugs I could discontinue. :)

Hi Ton....Was going to reply but forgot what the thread was about:D :eek: :D .

I am 15 weeks post op and have big time pumphead moments. Forget words and just plain forget things I should be doing. Simple task seem at times taxing. I also have trouble reading....keep loosing my place. It is getting better so I hope one day it will be gone.

Cooker ( I think they took some brain out)

Ton,
You know what I think about pumpheadedness????

It can be incredibly embarrassing at times and quite entertaining at others. Had my kids over for dinner yesterday.....there was an emotional moment and I was speaking to my children .....and suddenly ..........................................my daughters, son and future son-in-law were looking at me and waiting .......and............. waiting .......................and ........waiting......and ..............
I never could remember what the heck I was about to say!
It was awful and awful funny at the same time. I STILL have no idea what I was about to say...but I do know that it was good....whatever it was! It was going to have impact!!!! I am sure of it!!!! What the heck was it???:D
Their mouths dropped and were looking at me.......with those 'what just happened to you' look on their faces. It was priceless.
Debbi
They say it will pass.....we'll see. ;)

Scary

Scary

You guys are scaring me, and you do it in such an entertaining way! As a preacher who makes a living by being able to string sentences together in a simi intelligible way, I'm glad this hasn't happened to me. (Or has it???! I may never know.)

I asked my wife recently if I seemed to forget things since my surgery. She looked a bit hesitant and then said "yes, but you've always been that way!"

Latest posts

Back