A BIG black eye and some scrapes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanche

Happy to be here
Supporting Member
Hello all:
Wondering if anyone has some insight into what to do when one falls and injures themself when on Coumadin. Al decided to deal with the recycles tonight after dark and slipped on the curb and fell.

His knees are bruised and bleeding some. His arm got a scrape. But, the worst is that he got the side of his face and now he has a huge black eye..
This happened about 2 hours ago and I am beside myself.

I was able to deal with the knees, but his black eye is scaring me.

Anyone had a big black eye while on anticoagulation?

Many thanks, blanche

Blanche,

I don't have any knowledge about handling that problem, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am.

I am sure our coumadin experts will be along to offer advice.

Hope Al is doing better by now.

Best wishes,

Maybe a call to his doctor is in order. Also go to Al Lodwick's site and ask him. He can give you some really good advice.

Sorry this has happened. Please keep us in the loop. Hope he is better really soon.

Oh, Blanche-

I am so sorry that this happened to Al. I agree with you that the black eye is scary. If it were Joe, I would be worrying about what else was bleeding in the head area. Maybe you remember a few years ago when Joe slipped on some ice (also fooling around with the garbage can) and sustained a terrible bruise that continued to bleed internally. He eventually had to go off Coumadin for a while to stop the bleeding, and spent time in the hospital and rehab facility too.

Call Al's doctor and get his advice here. You just can't be too careful with these wonderful guys, they may be tough, but also delicate.

Hope it all turns out OK.

Blanche....I am so sorry to hear this. I'm sure your dear one is ok but I would take a trip to the doctor to be on the safe side.........Chef

Ps.....I knew all of the recycling and tree hugging would lead to trouble:mad:

Blanche, how is Al this morning? Did you take him in? Did you give him a steak for that black eye? ;) Please let us know how things are going.

hensylee said:
well, I checked in, too to see what's goin on. By lack of response, I'd almost bet they are at the dr.

I hope so, Ann. It sounds like it was a nasty fall and coumadin and hits on the head don't go well together.

Been to dr. cat scan next

Been to dr. cat scan next

Dear friends:
Thank you so much for the good wishes and kind thoughts. That was so important to me. For the first time since 2000, when a medical problem arose, I didn't feel alone. Sorry to leave you all hanging, but it takes alot of convincing to get Al to the dr.

We visited with our internist who chastized both of us for not going to the emergency room last night. Then he chastized some more. First time ever in the 7 years I have known this dr that I have seen him this way. I think Albert got the message...I know I did. I should have bound him, gagged him, and dragged him to medical care...

We don't have a diagnosis or prognosis yet. The dr has ordered a CAT scan and some other things. He is concerned about an orbital fracture. He was not able to view Al's eye for the swelling was gigantic. We get the scan at 3:00 pm and should have the results tonight.

Our dr. wanted Albert to hold his Coumadin for 3 days. There's than darned 3 day thing again. I need to contact Al Lodwick to get his take on that. I did agree to hold for at least one day. Al's INR was 3.7 (range 3.0 to 4.0) on Wednesday so a one day hold is not that bad.

I am going to contact Al's opthomologist today to get an appointment for Monday or as soon as convenient. We have history with this eye doctor and he is just the very best.

Right now, all I can do is breathe in, breathe out, and more on. Thank you, friends.

Blanche

Blanche, thank you so much for letting us know what is going on. I have been saying many prayers. PLEASE don't beat yourself up for things that are done, just think about you were able to get Al to go within a relatively short time and he is being taken care of. (This is from past experience, so I know it is easier to type than do) You both are in my prayers, Lyn

Oh Blanche, you have no idea how much I've been thinking about you and Hubby Al. Why do men have to be so stubborn.
You are in my prayers.

R

Did he feel Al was continuing to bleed into the area, is that why he told you to hold for 3 days? If the tests aren't showing a build up of blood, or a continuation of the build up, I'd question the holding of Coumadin before you have him do it. Al L's opinion would be a very good thing.

I'm glad your DH got the message that he should have sought ER treatment. I have one here that would be just as stubborn (and has been).

Prayers for good news.

Thank you for getting to us, as we know you are under great stress right now and taking time for us isn't your first priority. Don't think it's your fault he would not go. At a time like that, stress messes up our lives and if he didn't want to go, well that was that. Maybe hereafter he will make decisions on his own, esp since the dr made it clear to him that he needs care at times like that.

We are holding fast waiting for news and worrying right along with you. Certainly many prayers are being asked on your behalves. We'll impatiently wait, like you, to hear news. Thank you.

I'll be thinking of you both, Blanche. Things like this are so frightening. Getting a diagnosis is very time consuming when you need answers right away. It's stressful beyond belief!

Good News so far

Good News so far

The results of the scan showed that there is no orbital fracture. They read the scan while we waited. We were told that our doctor would call us, but he did not. Does appear that he feels his job is done for the present. Al has an appointment with him on Friday morning.

When we were in his office, he did say that he didn't have the equipment to deal with this type of injury. So, if needed, I do know the way to the emergency room. I also made an appointment with the opthomologist for Tuesday morning.

At the least, I am happy to know that there is no fracture.

Blanche

Back