9 days and counting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val

Met with my surgeon today and AVR is scheduled for a week from Thursday. My 8 year old Bovine valve is almost closed, .6 cm, surgeon says that for me 3 cm is normal. I am not allowed to do anything that would cause heart symptoms so that means I can either sit or walk slowly. I am usually very active and I am wondering how I will survive the next 9 days. This forum has been a life saver, just knowing that I am not the only on going through this helps.

Val

The two weeks between diagnosis and surgery were pretty rough on me, since I'm also very active, so I understand. My cardiologist told me that if I kept riding my mountainbike, I'd have a 2% chance of sudden death. I kept that in mind while I was sitting around waiting.

It must be tough to not exercise or be active. Find some good tv shows or movies on Netflix, etc. Could you tell us a little about yourself, age, valve type, which valve you are going for.

Re: 9 days and counting

Val, almost five weeks out and I feel great. I was in the hospital four days and started walking outside the next day. I walked .5 miles at first, then over the next week increased it to 5 miles, which is what I'm still doing, but now, briskly. I'm also starting to jog a few short sections.

The two weeks between diagnosis and surgery were pretty rough on me, since I'm also very active, so I understand. My cardiologist told me that if I kept riding my mountainbike, I'd have a 2% chance of sudden death. I kept that in mind while I was sitting around waiting.
+1 - my date hasn't been set yet, but I will be seeing the surgeon next week and should get a date then. After years of vigorous daily exercise, I now find that I can't tolerate much more than a slow walk without becoming dizzy: my cardiologist told me to cut it out. I am doing so, but I feel like any gains from my previous exercise are slipping away by the hour. I know, I have to get over that - there will be plenty of time to exercise later. Here's hoping!

I am 57 and going for my second AVR. My first was a bovine valve. This time it will be a mechanical ON-X valve, my surgeon and cardiologist were fairly adamant that I not try another biological valve. I have preop today and surgery tomorrow. I will follow up on the suggestion to have some movies to watch, guess it is time to get a netflixs account. I can't wait to start exercising again. Wanting this to all be behind me.

Val

Best wishes for an unremarkable surgery and recovery.

While I appreciate the desire to put it all behind you, focus on the now and don't ignore all the experiences. Good or bad they enrich or lives.

Good luck, Val. I hope your surgery goes well. I was out of town last week so I missed your first post, but I understand what you're going through with the restrictions -- my surgery is in three weeks. After the surgery, it will be a gradual upward climb, doing more every day, so hopefully that will ease the frustration.

Latest posts

Back