8 weeks post op and I sometimes wonder...did I really have AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimcdougc

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Funny how life works. 8 weeks post op for my AVR surgery on May 23, 2013. If I didn't have a big 6 inch scar down my chest and still trying to get my INR under control, I wouldn't even think I had surgery done of any kind. That being said, I am doing great at 8 weeks post op. For those of you in the waiting room or just had surgery, it does get better everyday. I walk about 2 to 2 1/2 miles a day. I will never be a mountain climber or super duper bike rider. I now can breath and walk faster than I could for the last 10 years. I am at about 90 percent on my energy level. Life is getting back to normal (whatever that is). Don't lose hope...keep doing your walking and breathing exercises and you to will have a normal life before you know it. I had afib once along the way but that is all worked out now and I can't believe how easy my recovery has been compared to what I thought it was going to be 9 weeks ago before my surgery. Everything everyone posts here is true. Now I just chose to live my life to the fullest and how I want to. Haven't had and depression or anything like that...just thankful to be here! - Kim

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AVR May 23, 2013 with On-x 21mm valve. In the waiting room 10 years. Dr. Glenn Barnhart, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA. 53 year old female

Kim: That is so great to hear!

Like you, my recovery has been easier than expected. It has been 6 weeks since my surgery and my remaining issue is my energy level. -- Suzanne

That is wonderful to hear. I am only 5 days post op and they sent me home from the hospital last night. Feels amazing to be in my own clothes - got a good night sleep without someone coming in the room every hour - and love to be surrounded by my family. Looking forward to getting stronger each day. Love to read these inspirational posts!

Glad to hear you are doing so well. I just passed the 8 week mark myself. My Cardiologist told me this week that I had no more limitations, though this was said with the understanding that I have no intention of engaging in competitive sports and that I will increase my intensity level slowly. I also still need to be careful about Afib triggers. I went swimming for the first time yesterday and had no issues. My son grew out of his bike so I gave him mine, so now shopping for a new bike so I can start riding again. I still feel my heart beat much more than I used to, especially when I take a deep breath, and I still feel a minor pain in my chest or shoulders occassionally, but overall I'm feeling good.

I still feel my heart beat much more than I used to, especially when I take a deep breath

For the longest time after my surgery, my heart would seem to be pounding against the inside of my ribs when inhaling (especially holding) deeply. I was told that expanding my chest cavity was allowing my heart to beat harder and make bigger strokes. For a while I was using it to my advantage, breathing in really deep when running or pedaling hard uphill. Ten months later, it doesn't seem to do it anymore.

Kim,
Good to hear about the speedy recovery. Don't give up hopes of being a super duper mountain climber or biker yet. Life definitely gets better by the day. Keep walking. I walked 2-3 miles a day and one day it started raining and I began running to get home and found out that I was not out of breath after a quarter mile (couldn't do that in the years leading upto my surgery). Since that time, I took up running seriously and did a 10 miler about 18 months post-op. Shooting for another 10 miler in October. So, don;t give up on your dreams of increased physical activity yet. All the best.

Boy, I hope I post something just like this a few months from now.

Thanks for all the positive responses! Big_L and Heather Anne...I was where you are at....you will get it done and recover nicely! Attitude is a great part of the recovery! Besides, you have all the good people on this website rooting you on! - Kim

Nice job, Kim! And, thanks for posting such a personal yet positive message. It really does help the folks still in the waiting room to understand that most patients roll through this and just get back to their lives, and that many do much better very quickly.

I'm 4 weeks out of my third surgery. This one was AVR with Aortic Root and coronary artery repair. I feel the pounding in my chest too. It gets worse when taking a deeper breath. It gets etter when breathing out or if I'm in a bowing position. I have a follow-up with the surgeon next week. He says it may or may not go away. It could be the Dacron graft rubbing/transmitting the signal, etc. My cardiologist says it can also be my pericardium that has had gone through so much that it may not be insulating the beats like it should. I've seen a lot of posts where people have the same symptom. Most get better. A few do not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm glad you're one fo the fortunate ones.

Latest posts

Back