8 Months Post

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laggard

Just had another echocardiogram and all is well.

When did you feel like this whole event was in the past? I have no idea when I will even see my cardio guy again. Is it all over?

My first OHS was 9 years ago and my second was 5 years ago.
It has never become 'the past' for me.
It was life changing and thus a part of my today and whatever tomorrows.

Just speaking for myself, not a day goes by I don't 'remember' BUT that is not necessarily a bad thing. Not all of the 'remembering' for me is bad. Some is appreciative and grateful. :)

don't think it is ever over i have had two valve replacements in the pass year i just got a bovine valve and feel much better the warfarin was a real reminder every month blood test watching what i eat. i know i will still be reminded of my ohs but like jkm7 put it its not always bad i feel grateful

Laggard,
Your cardio should have told you what his recommended follow-up schedule is. I would not assume that there is none. Usually after surgery it is at least an annual visit, maybe more. I see my cardio twice a year, with one time including an echo. My case is not yours, though, as I had some complications during and after surgery. I also see a pacemaker clinic twice annually to check my device. Consider these visits like having the oil changed on your car. They may include nothing but a quick check, but that way if anything does start to go wrong, someone will notice it sooner rather than later.

Laggard,
Possibly you should call the cardio's office and see when they want to see you again. I am surprised that they didn't state a follow up time (months, year?) I see my cardiologist every 6 months with an echo included at the one year mark. I don't find this a problem since as we know sometimes those replacement valves have issues also and feel I would rather know sooner as opposed to later.
Best wishes on your 8 month mark and wishing you many many more months and years of good heart health.

With any luck, you should go a long time with annual or seim-annual "oil change" check-ups. Major tune-up's don't usually come due until 100,000 miles.

I'll agree with that! You got to make sure to keep humming along!!!

I go twice a year to the cardio and annual echos. Saw surgeon twice in the past 20 months with two MRI's and now he'll see me again in two years.

I'm 8 months post here too, off to my second cardio appointment after an echo on Tuesday morning. Ticking along just fine, aside from obviously keeping an eye on things and taking Warfarin I also feel a bit like it's all in the past... I'm about a month back from a week boarding in the Alps and I've been both mountain biking and climbing this week. It's actually a kinda handy reminder when I whack myself in the shin with a pedal and more blood comes out than used to... :)

Thanks all. I imagine I may get to a time where I see my cardio guy twice a year and have one yearly echo.

Latest posts

Back